“Authentic and fabulous!”

Dining options: Reservations
Ojai, California
“Authentic and fabulous!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Not only is Selvin's an authentic taste of true Caribbean food the service is excellent. I have eaten many times at this wonderful Locals restaurant which is just a short block from one of the best beaches in the area.
You cannot go wrong from the traditional soup to the garlic fish. Everything fresh including the homemade desserts. And the drinks are Fuerte!
You will be made to feel like family here- So if you are looking to experience the true Caribe spirit do not miss this place. Pura Vida- Kathleen

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Fargo, North Dakota
“Still missing it!”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We are headed to an all inclusive for vacay this year and we just reminisced about how awesome our travels in CR were and of course talked about how awesome this meal was. We met Selvin at Arrecife (right by where we stayed most of our time on the coast). We couldn't have been happier. It was about a mile walk from our rental.

Order the whole bowl - don't cheat yourself with a half order! :)

Grumpy people need to order a beer and chill! This area is not about fast - I don't even remember seeing a working clock for like 4 days. We actually had to have the staff at Arrecife make sure we were up on the day we left with our transport back to SJ!

There is a spot along Punta Uva beach to the south where you can see tons of the yummy crabs crawl all over the rock face. Get someone to cut you down a coconut after a short hike around the out rock.

• Visited January 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Must eat here!!!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

A little out of town but if it's open you should definitely eat here!!!! They have limited hours especially in the off season so if it happens to be open you should go! I had the fresh red fish fried with typical sides. We also got the seafood soup which was absolutely delicious! My husband had the jumbo shrimp which were very JUMBO!!! They also have great drinks.. The banana daiquiri was the best. The price is pretty fair I guess but I really thought seafood would be cheaper since it is freshly caught right in the town. All in all a great place!! You just have to look for it.. There is only a small sigh in the front:)

• Visited October 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Tasty food”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I arrived at 1pm and even though the restaurant opens at noon it was clear that I was the first customer and they seemed surprised at my arrival. That said, I was eating within 20 mins to half an hour and my red snapper plate was delicious. The service was good and they called me a taxi to take me back to Playa Cocles. I also enjoyed a walk down to the beach at the end of the road after lunch - rather a lovely little beach - it would be nice to combine some time on this beach with a meal at Selvins.

• Visited October 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Poor service and raw beef”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was my second stop at Selvin's. We waited one hour and fifteen minutes without so much as an acknowledgement for our food to be served after we ordered which is a long time even by Central American standards. Worse, four tables of four people each were sat and served before us. One in our party ordered beef which would have had time to cook in the 75 minutes wait but it came to the table not even rare, it was blue I think it was mooing it was so rare. The plate presentation is delightful, the salsa and fried plantains excellent but I would not recommend Selvin's. Any decent restaurant would have at least offered an apology and friendlier servers would help as well.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank SatHizFakShon
Travelife65, Public Relations Manager at Selvin's, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for visiting us on your second trip to Punta Uva. We are really sorry about your bad experience with us , we knew about your case but we weren´t able to reach on time to apologize. Your review gives us the opportunity to let it be known that any guest of ours should never feel bad about alerting the staff if something is not to their liking. Due to this case made a meeting with our staff in order to improve our service. We apologize the inconvenient and thanks again for your feed back.

M. Brown.