“Thanks, Allan!!”
Review of Finca La Isla

Finca La Isla
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Established in 1987 in an abandoned cacao farm the botanical garden is a permaculture farm with a mature collection of fruit and spice trees in production and lots of tropical flowers. Corridors of rainforest make it into a fascinating nature park. Visitors will be able to try a fresh fruit drink, taste fruits in season, sample homemade natural chocolate, and learn about medicinals and ethnobotanicals. Finca la Isla is a working farm producing black pepper, fruits, and ornamental plants in commercial quantities. Besides the opportunity to see very rare tropical plants visitors will learn about tropical crops like bananas, black pepper, and nutmeg. The botanical garden is one of the very best places in Costa Rica to see frogs in the wild. Our rainforest will provide the chance to see four different kinds of poison dart frogs, reptiles, toucans and many other birds, sloths, and the marvel of symbiosis and diversity that is the tropical rainforest. Visitors are guaranteed to see the red poison dart frog in the wild.
“Thanks, Allan!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our visit to Finca La Isla was fantastic! Beautiful garden, very well kept. Allan was very helpful. Not only Allan gave us the initial guide and offered us samples of fruits from the area but was very instructive regarding the culture and the flora of the region.
Great experience! We recommend the visit to Finca La isla.

Visited August 2014

“Beautiful garden with plants, fruits, frogs and insects.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The botanical garden was great. It has a lot of different trees like bamboo, cinnamontree and rubbertree, in addition to tropical flowers. Allan was our guide, and he knew a lot about the plants he showed us. In the end we tasted several different fruits from the garden. You should not go there on a rainy day, because then all the mosqitos come out. It was sometimes hard to find our way in there because it's plants everywhere.

Visited August 2014
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A couple of hours of peace and beauty”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was first introduced to Finca La Isla Botanical Garden through an employee, Allan, while enjoying an afternoon in the center of Puerto Viejo. While visiting the gardens may not have been my first choice if I were shown a list of 'things to do in Puerto Viejo', Allan was so passionate about what they have to offer that I couldn't resist taking the hour or two and visiting them for myself.

When I arrived it was Allan who warmly and knowledgeably greeted me at the front Reception area and gave me very detailed information, options, and instructions for my visit -- more so than expected for not having signed up for the guided tour.

The walk was so pure and peaceful, and very untouched for being a tourist activity. I was able to see two types of frogs, many birds, and beautiful trees, flowers, and fruits that I never knew existed! At the end, I was welcomed back and offered to try a handful of fruits that I have not seen or heard of before... I admit i only remember half of their exotic names but I love tasting new things and to be able to try what you've just seen was a great way to finish.

One recommendation would be to sign up for the guided tour if able. While you are given extremely detailed instructions, a map, and the option to purchase a booklet at very little cost (gives you more insight on what you are looking at), for someone like myself who is not very direction savvy and has difficulty doing multiple things at once (I.e. following a map, reading up on the trees' purpose and origin, absorbing the surroundings) I found it a bit challenging to truly know what I was looking at and would have loved to learn a bit more.

The owner and his staff clearly have a deep passion for what they do and even if an activity like this is not something of regular interest, I would highly recommend it for that reason alone -- it is very easy to get sucked in. Thanks Allan - very serene, different, and enjoyable afternoon!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank vgood63_
Meudon, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice garden”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nice garden to be visited close to Puerto Viejo. Lots of plants, trees and fauna (birds, butterflys, frogs...).
You can try some tropical fruits after the walk.
Very interesting and very nice welcome by Alan.

Visited July 2014
Kopavogur, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Tropical taste”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I loved seeing the red posion frog it's all around. If you love nature you sould go, alot of new things you can see there. You are your own guide in the garden and you can wonder around as long as you want but Alan the guy in the reception was great he showed me a red posion frog and when I came back from the tour he gave me taste of the tropical fruit that grows inside the garden that you were in. Olso he showed me and tould me about the cacao process, he's really smart! Loved that I was alone in the garden just wondering around and seeing new things. Alot of cool things there! recomend it for everyone :)

1 Thank kleinus