“I'd give this restaurant 6 stars if I could”
Review of Malbec - CLOSED

Malbec
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Ottawa
“I'd give this restaurant 6 stars if I could”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We thought we'd found the best steak in the world at El Refugio, which is about 3 km south of Malbec. Two nights later, we ate at Malbec and discovered that they have equally delicious steak. Both are run by charming Argentian couples and both have only 4 tables (El Refugio) or 5 tables (Malbec), so reservations are a must. Both have friendly, attentive service. The biggest difference is that Malbec specializes in beef, offering about 10 different cuts of amazing steaks and El Refugio has only one fabulous steak dish and a variety of other delicacies, such as octopus and tuna. The Argentian Malbec red house wine was perfect with our meal. All steaks are huge and flavourful. The Peppercorn beef tenderloin was fantastic and came with the best scalloped potatoes in world. The rib eye steak had quite a lot of fat but was delicious and tender. The dessert crepes w creme flambe and chocolate drizzle was decadent and the Charlotte dessert that was vanilla ice cream w slivered almonds and organic choc sauce was light and tasty. This restaurant is steak-lovers, heaven!

1 Thank Cutetreefrog

Warrington, Pennsylvania
“Great grilled meats in the rainforest”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Melbac is a 4 table Argentinean restaurant tucked away in the rainforest. Its husband & wife run, he does the grilling & she serves you. Everything was really good. Great scalloped potatoes.

Visited February 2012
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Get Ready for Royal Treatment!”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

If you want fantastic steak, the Argentinians know how to make it. Their superb service and excellent fare make you feel like royalty!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lisa V
Buenos Aires, Argentina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely!!!!”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I´d been in Puerto Viejo some years ago and always remembered that great meal I had in Patagonia Grill.... Since last week I arrived in this wonderfull place in Earth again, and since the moment I arrived back in Puerto Viejo I looked for this Restaurant, of course I couldn´t fin it because it had been sold... I´ve asked a few people and a nice gentelman told me the old owners had put a new Restaurant called Malbec and gave me the address (or how to get there because addresses here arnet´t like home....).
Finally on Saturday we got there, and God thanks my mempries hadn´t betrayed me!!! It was excelent, the food was delicious and the owners who serve you themselves are such LOVELY peolpe!!!! They actually invite you to your home, what could be more cosy than this!!!
I really recomend everyone in Puerto Viejo to visit them, you wont´t regret it!!!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Maia L
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Quality BEEF in the jungle... 'nuf said!!”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Miguel and Marta (and their gentlemen sons) operate a classy, elegant gem on their front porch. For many years they ran a successful "steak house" called Patagonia in the centro of Puerto Viejo. It was always one of our first stops on trips to the Caribe Sur, then they closed down, sold the business to some great passionate beef-lovin' women, who eventually moved back north and left many of us craving the Argentian cut beef.
Well, maybe due to high demand, maybe due to a desire to invite a small group of folks into their "living area" these gentle kind people re-opened as Malbec.
Meals are simply delicious. The wine selection is small but expertly matched to the entree options. I almost always order the vascio, sure it sports the lowest price as a steak entree, but the flavor exceeds my expectation--everytime! Prepared to perfection over an open, home-designed grill just feet from the table, the smell of the searing juices is enough to drive you crazy while you wait. So enjoy the delicious home-made bread and garlic butter spread Marta will bring you, order a cocktail and wait patiently, napkin in hand to daintily dab away the saliva pouring down your chin.
My husband is a classic "meat 'n potatoes" man, so this is our go-to spot when he gets cranky for "real food" in the land of the tropical flavors and light, fresh, eclectic food that I adore.
Their hours are selective, so you might call ahead to make sure they are open and have space available. Oh, and finding it might be a bit of challenge... go southeast out of Puerto Viejo about 5.5 kilometers to the very beginning of Playa Chiquita (past Cocles, past the Jaguar Center, past Villas de Caribe Hotel, but prior to the village center of Playa Chiquita) at the turn off to the old Punta Cocles Hotel they have a large beautiful wooden sign "Malbec" well lit and directing you up a gravel road. Do NOT plan to ride your bike here from town, take a taxi as both the main road (hiway) and the smaller road are very dark with rocky uncertain bumps.

Visited January 2012