“Awesome meat!”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica
“Awesome meat!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We ordered a mixed grille plate. The blood sausage was incredible, so was all the other meat. They have a nice selection of wines to accompany it. Recommended.

• Visited November 2013

San Francisco, California
“Second Review, Same as the First”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I last visited Malbec in 2011 and wrote a review. When I returned to Puerto Viejo in 2013, I went to Malbec again. Actually, I went twice. The food is excellent, the caipirinha is the best, the wines are delicious, and the hosts are wonderful. It's like going to someone's house for dinner and you actually like the food and the people there. This restaurant is a must if you are visiting the area. Do not miss it!!

oakland, ca
“All around EXCELLENT restaurant”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My partner and I went here for dinner while vacationing in the Puerto Viejo area. It was amazing! The ambiance is quaint and romantic, yet suitable for larger parties too. Marta and Miguel were gracious hosts. Our meal was perfectly prepared and beautifully plated. We loved it so much the first time that we returned for one more meal before we left Costa Rica. Don't miss it!

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Amazing meal!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Malbec is nice & inviting place for dinner in the jungle. The setting is romantic with candlelight & only a few tables so you should make reservations before you go. The owners are a very friendly couple from Argentina & the owners themselves are the ones right there to cook & serve you. For an appetizer the grilled cheese is amazing. I have never had anything like it before & it is quite delicious & accompanied with warm homemade bread. My favorite steak has to be the skirt steak, it's so tender & you can top it off with a spicy chimichurri sauce on the side! Then for dessert its a tie between the caramel crepes or the vanilla ice cream & slivered almonds, topped with a homemade chocolate sauce.. Yum! They also make a mean caipirinha. Great food & owners that make their food with love!

1 Thank EmilyB255
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Best steak and service”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We traveled to Puerto Viejo to elope on the beach, so when we wanted a nice restaurant to celebrate at Malbec was suggested to us. The outdoor intimate setting was perfect for our wedding night dinner. With only 5 tables on the romantic patio I would recommend making a reservation. The owners were the sweetest couple we met in Costa Rica. The women came and explained to entire menu to us and gave us some suggestions. When we told her we were celebrating our Wedding she kept saying how special of a dinner it must be. She definitely did her part to make it a memorable experience. The peppered steak and scalloped potatoes were definitely the best I have ever had. The service was amazing as was the food. The women even brought us a shot of rum on the house to celebrate our big day. This will forever stay in my memory and my heart.