“FISH TACOS!!!!”

Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Tasty Waves is more than a humble cantina in beautiful Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, it's a lifestyle. We always strive to become your "home base", giving you local advice on where to go, what sites to see and how to get the most out of your journey or vacation. Our staff is more of a family and we always want you to feel welcome in our home. For the most part it's a relaxed atmosphere but don't get me wrong, we know how to party. Tasty Tuesday has become the biggest and most anticipated party of the week and we always show you a good time, so good that we close on Wednesday to clean up the aftermath. Thursday is Trivia Night, Friday is R.E.H.A.B., Saturday is Karaoke, Sunday Funday and Monday is our Movie Night with new and classics running on our 100" projector screen. Stop in, say hi and have a shot of Guaro with us. Tasty Waves Cantina ~ Livin' the Dream
Lewisburg, West Virginia
“FISH TACOS!!!!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The place doesn't look like it would have great food but it does. This is a great bar right across the road from the beach. Always a great place to party (Tuesday is their biggest night) but the food is excellent. Try the fish tacos and the chicken tenders. They get their chicken from an organize farmer and they could be the best I've ever had!

• Visited May 2014

Oldwick, New Jersey
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The food, drinks, prices, service, and location are all excellent but it's the crew that works here that really sets this place apart, they are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet, not just in Costa Rica but anywhere. They also attract fun and friendly patrons, it won't take more than a few minutes to make some new friends in this place!

San Francisco, California
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

There were 4 of us in my party, and all of us had an excellent time! Every night, they have a different "theme/activity", with the exception of Wednesdays, when they are closed. The fish tacos are extremely tasty and the beer was probably the coldest beer in town! The owner and employees are all extremely pleasant with genuine smiles.

• Visited May 2014
Bowling Green, Ohio, United States
“Good Burger”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

It's very difficult to find a good hamburger in this latitude, I had one here. Fun place, the night I was there with friends the band was so high they couldn't "work it out". Took 45 minutes to get the burger, overall though good time.

• Visited February 2014
“Killer Time. We Were Stars That Night.”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were in town for my wedding, and my sister discovered this great bar where she said we had to go for our "bachelorette celebration." "The bartenders were so cool and the music was awesome," she kept saying. So was the story behind the guys that own it, she added. So, of course we went on Karaoke Night. It had to be done.

Right after we got there, there's a blond guy with a neat haircut and beard, like he was straight out of the Lower East Side of Manhattan, on stage doing some 90s R Kelly bump-n-grind song. A bold choice, not for the timid. The guy before him totally rocked like he was a pro, but this guy had more personality and groove. We gave him some love from our front table in the form of our motley, half-coordinated chair dancing and hand waving. He gave us a shout-out, so the night was starting off just fine. Two songs and one tequila shot later, including my very own Pat Benatar, turns out that blonde guy is the owner. He thanked us personally "for being awesome" and bought us a round for our bachelorette night out.

Actually, everyone was pretty much awesome that night at Tasty Waves. Probably always are. The crowd was laid-back and supportive. We broke out into several dance parties to Michael Jackson, Rihanna, and stuff you know but don't know the name of. The crew let me and my girls close out the night with Gloria Gaynor.

After the bar had closed, some people were hanging out, cooling off and finishing drinks. My sister and bestie and I were all sweaty from the dancing, but feeling closer as sisters. While the crew was cleaning up, they cranked up the music again and encouraged us to keep the dance party going if we wanted. So for a couple songs, we were dancing on benches, jumping up and down with all the others who didn't want the night to end just yet. We'd arrived about 11:30PM and it was only about 1AMish but it was a good night. The ladies and I walked 5 mins down the road to our hotel, snapping ridiculous selfies before falling asleep, sighing at how easy life could be.

A couple days later, one of the bartenders hooked my sister up with a bottle of their signature Tasty Waves tequila with jalapeño. It was my wedding day, but I wasn't nervous for my wedding to my most amazing husband. I wasn't in the mood to drink, but I took a shot with my sister and my girls -- to honor the power of friendship, family and the time we were stars that night at Tasty Waves.

Visited February 2014