“Very Charming.”

VIP Hotel Playa Negra
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I recently stayed at the VIP this past November. I have to say that overall I had a great experience. Our room was always clean, breakfast was made every morning (delicious) and the staff was very friendly. I loved that there was a kitchen area to make snacks at night. We went to the supermarket and cooked. The hotel is a far walk into town, I didn't mind, you can ride bikes, walk (beautiful views) or take a cab which is no more than $5. If you're expecting to be partying it up, it's not that kind of place. It's very peaceful and relaxing. My only real complaint is the beds. They were WAY too firm for my taste. I felt like I was sleeping on concrete. And the pillows had no support. Also November probably is not the best time to visit the Caribbean side of Costa Rica as I'm told it's their rainy season. It rained the entire time, but I enjoyed it. It was still warm out and I got to really experience the rain forest.

Room Tip: there were only a few units. they all had a cute porch with hammocks. I can't really see having...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank InEffect1

Reviewed 1 August 2012

If you want a quite relaxing and recovering stay, surely this is the right place.
Just came back from our holidays and batteries are fully charged again, thanks to the quiteness, natural enviroment, personal attention of staff and location standards.
I don't usually repeat holiday destination, but will surely return to this ideal hotel shortly.
:))

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray P
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We were really pleased with our stay at VIP Hotel Playa Negra. The room was very spacious- two bedrooms, kitchen, living area, and porch. We were glad to have the space because we went during the "green season" and we did get quite a bit of rain. There's a nice pool, beautiful manicured vegetation, and a covered lounge area, where I enjoyed reading. My husband was really happy that he got to catch some big US sports games through satellite tv.

The hotel owner is just awesome- very personable and helpful. We got an amazing breakfast each morning- better than out on the economy.

We were definitely happy that we had our rental car as the hotel is a short drive to town. We had no issues finding the hotel- it's down a long unpaved road, but there's plenty of signs for the hotel. We usually drove to the beach, although it's close enough to walk. The beach was secluded and clean.

I was really happy with our trip, and I would definitely recommend Puerto Viejo and VIP Hotel Playa Negra to anyone traveling to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Kimberly U
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We spent a week in puerto viejo and stayed at the VIP hotel in Playa negra. The place is beautiful, the villas are huge with all the facilities you need for a great layed back vacation: great swimming pool, gym, great balcony, kitchen, living room with satellite TV and two bedrooms.

It's 7 minutes away from the center of puerto viejo by car (it's better if you have a car otherwise it's difficult to get from there to the city)

The staff is amazing, especially the owner- Marriane which was very friendly and helpful.
So if you're looking for a relaxed vacation, you should defenetly consider the VIP hotel.
Moran & Chen

Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Moran S
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is an apartment hotel, and you will get lots of space. Perfect place to stay, if you are going to stay, a long time in Puerto Viejo. But prepare yourself, that it lies approximately 3 km from the city, and about one kilometer from the beach. The hotel has an okay swimming pool. Very kind staff, and good breakfast. If you need peace, and quietness this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Skallebaek
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The hotel is VERY secluded and hard to find. The owner Marian, is the kindest, sweetest hostess. She greeted us with a huge umbrella, as it was pouring, and a hug. I think the hotel is quite new, or renamed/refurbished. There was only one other couple staying there at the time. The rooms are HUGE (two bedrooms, full kitchen, nice porches), and the breakfast was amazing! However, the fact that it's sooo secluded and far from everything else may be its downfall unfortunately. If you are looking for a place that's quiet, and away from it all then this is your place. It was clean, and the grounds are beautiful, and as I mentioned before Marian, although she doesn't speak too much English, was a doll. She treated us as we were family, and I wish her all the best with the hotel. I will say however, for us, we were glad we only had one night booked there. We went to banana azul the next night, and there is no comparison... Again, it's a nice hotel, with kind staff and delicious breakfast, but definitely not close to anything. If you're the type of traveler who just wants a hotel with a nice pool, then you may like this, but definitely not my first choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends