“Fantastic Stay”

VIP Hotel Playa Negra
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks and couldn't have asked for a better time. What a hidden gem in the jungle! Our unit had 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, living room and spacious bathroom not to mention a large porch. The property is well maintained, the pool is cleaned everyday. We enjoyed days at the beach and came back in the afternoon to enjoy the pool which is surrounded by beautiful gardens. It felt like we were the only ones there, such a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. At night we discovered the small pond area by the gym was teaming with life, we shined our flashlight into the plants and saw red eyed tree frogs, our daughter thought that was amazing. If there was anything we needed we just had to ask Miriam, the owner, who lives on the property. She is such a wonderful lady, on the first day she said to me my house is your house. She made us feel at home and for 2 weeks we were at home. She has a small staff and they were just as nice. We will definitely be back next year, why would we go anywhere else when we have a home away from home with Miriam at VIP. Thank you so much Miriam!!! :o)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 February 2013

This hotel was truly amazing. It is hidden in the jungle which is exactly what we were looking for to get the "Costa Rican" feel. It is close to town and the beautiful beaches. Miriam is an angel and helped us set up our transportation to and from the airport and made sure we had everything we needed to make our stay a memorable one. Dilan who also works at the hotel is one of a kind. He set up all our tours and excursions for us and introduced us to awesome people throughout the trip. He made sure we were always in good hands and watched out for us. They are two very special people and we will never forget them.
The hotel is very clean and offers an AWESOME complimentary breakfast every morning. We didn't get to have it one morning because we were going canopying early and we were so sad that we had to miss it. However, Miriam and Dilan made sure to put fruit and coffee in our rooms for us.
This was by far one of the best vacations I have ever been on and VIP Playa Negra is the hotel to stay at when visiting Puerto Viejo. Looking up flights back right now actually =)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

The hotel is very well located, in the middle of the jungle. You can enjoy of the beautiful beaches that are about 5min or so. I had a great time there! I'll return as soon as possible!! Nice people and delicious breakfasts.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the VIP and we are completely rested and satisfied. The facility far exceeded our expectations. It is in the forest and was clearly built with the utmost respect for the environment. The gardens are magnificent. We saw spider monkeys, toucans and many other animals and birds in the area. Breakfast was always delicious. We rode bikes to the beach. The owners are the most considerate people and we were treated like family members.

Room Tip: Bring binoculars and walk in the woods.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johninchanguinola
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and i was positive surprised! Its a little bit far from the beach, but the rooms are very nice and the garden is beautiful! And the best of this hotel is the owner Mariam! Very helpfull and friendly. Its a really nice place for quiet stay outside the tourist machinery.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cyro17
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I recently stayed at the VIP this past November. I have to say that overall I had a great experience. Our room was always clean, breakfast was made every morning (delicious) and the staff was very friendly. I loved that there was a kitchen area to make snacks at night. We went to the supermarket and cooked. The hotel is a far walk into town, I didn't mind, you can ride bikes, walk (beautiful views) or take a cab which is no more than $5. If you're expecting to be partying it up, it's not that kind of place. It's very peaceful and relaxing. My only real complaint is the beds. They were WAY too firm for my taste. I felt like I was sleeping on concrete. And the pillows had no support. Also November probably is not the best time to visit the Caribbean side of Costa Rica as I'm told it's their rainy season. It rained the entire time, but I enjoyed it. It was still warm out and I got to really experience the rain forest.

Room Tip: there were only a few units. they all had a cute porch with hammocks. I can't really see having...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank InEffect1
Reviewed 1 August 2012

If you want a quite relaxing and recovering stay, surely this is the right place.
Just came back from our holidays and batteries are fully charged again, thanks to the quiteness, natural enviroment, personal attention of staff and location standards.
I don't usually repeat holiday destination, but will surely return to this ideal hotel shortly.
:))