“Learning experience + good chocolate = Amazing time”

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday 10 am, Tuesday10 & 2, Thursday 10 & 2, Friday2 pm, and Saturday 2 pm. No reservations required. We also have a full service coffee and chocolate shop. Our coffee is fresh roasted farm to cup and delicious. Our chocolate is all hand made and organic. Fresh smoothies, sandwiches, ice cream and much more.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in Puerto Viejo for a few days and rented bikes to ride down to the most southern beaches. We came across this place having chocolate rainforest tours at 10am and decided it would be fun to join in. For the cost of the tour you get to learn history behind chocolate, its cultivation, decline and organic/fair trade chocolate market today. I was amazed at the ability to try chocolate from the pod (raw) all the way through the process. The tour guide (Paul) was awesome,very knowledgeable and open about the whole process. The chocolate they create is some of the best I've had. It gives you a whole new appreciation for chocolate and the process in which it is made.

2  Thank Katie N

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Seriously, this was my favorite place to visit on the entire Caribbean coast! If I was feeling not 100% happy, all I would have to do is go here.
They have the best chocolate I have ever had in my life! The tasting room is amazing. You are generally feeling super hot and sweaty and then you can open the door to a refrigerated room with so many different flavors of chocolate and samples free for you to taste!
Yes I said free chocolate samples in a very cool air-conditioned room. There are so many flavors to choose from with very unique ingredients. My favorites are the Three Kings, Black Beach Espresso, and Oolong Late. I really love taking a bite of the espresso and following it up with the oolong. Amazing. The bars range in price from 1000-1500 colones. WELL WORTH the price.
There are also some really tasty bars that are made from local farmers in neighboring towns. It feels good to directly support the local/hardworking farmers in the area. They also have pure cacao for sale and the block that I bought was made by an indigenous tribe in the area. I think Caribeans has some of the best cacao in all of Costa Rica.
You can also order drinks made with the chocolate bar flavor of your choosing. Their hot and cold coffee drinks are yummy, and so are the fresh smoothies.
Really friendly staff and comfortable seating.
You will definitely leave Caribeans satisfied!

1  Thank Emellee
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

A great way to spend the morning. Learned the process of chocolate making from "bean to bar." This place is run with a very inspiring business model, where the goal is not to meet but exceed ethical standards.
The highlight was the chocolate buffet overlooking the beach and creating your own chocolate creation. The most interesting one I tried, suggested by another tour goer, was the garlic, salt and pepper... My favourite was the vanilla and coconut.
There is a little hiking involved but well worth it!
At the end of the tour you are able to purchase the chocolate made by caribeans if you want, there's no pressure. You can order box of mixed chocolate bars when you get home or they can package your purchase so you can carry it with you for the rest of your travels.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped after seeing the sign saying chocolate tour on the side of the road. Didn't know we were in for a 3 hour awesome tour. If you like chocolate this is a great experience!! You'll never view chocolate the same after this fruit to bean to bar experience.

1  Thank Marissa910
Reviewed 29 April 2014

These couple of hours spent with Jeff were really amazing. He provides us all his insight of his vision of cacao during this tour.
The tasting was also amazing to realize how the outcome can be so different depending of where the cacao is coming from.
It definitely worth the price!