“Loved the chocolate!”

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Seattle, Washington
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Loved the chocolate!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We went in the tour and mixed lots of chocolate with different ingredients to find the perfect combination! It was fun to mid with garlic nutmeg and sea salt! Fun tour and worth the time! The people are very passionate about their chocolate and testing different concoctions!!

• Czech first
Seattle, Washington
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Fun and easy hike!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We went in the tour and enjoyed learning about the cacao trees and chocolate naming process. It was worth the time and was very reasonably priced! Check out the spicy chocolate. Yummy!!!

Somerville, Massachusetts
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Chocolate with a view!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

If you love chocolate and/or hiking, you’re going to love this three hour chocolate tour. Paul, the owner, gives an in-depth perspective on how chocolate is made on his farm, from bean to chocolate bar, and provides an interesting and thoughtful point of view on the chocolate industry. As you walk up the hill to where the chocolate is processed and where you get a chance to do some chocolate tasting, Paul frequently stops and narrates the history of his farm and how he and his family came to live in Costa Rica and make chocolate. Paul also points out a ton of animals along the route! Full of quirky anecdotes and heartwarming trial and error adventures in making chocolate, this tour will give you a whole new outlook on chocolate’s history, marketing, company practices, sustainability and a whole lot more! At the end of the tour, you can visit the gift/coffee shop to purchase chocolate and chocolate infused treats. Don’t miss this chocolate tour!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Adam P
auckland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“unfortunately average”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was really excited to visit here and i chose this place over the place closer to Cahuita. I stayed an extra morning just to visit. I didn't have time for the tour so I ordered a chocolate caliente con genjibre. I've tried this in Guatemala, nicaragua and now Costa Rica. When it arrived it was all milky and frothy and I was surprised because I was used to thick pure chocolate drinks from chocolate specialists such as these guys, and this is what I had been craving! I don't really drink much milk, and it just tasted like a normal machine hot chocolate from any old cafe, but I figured it just wasn't as good as I had expected, hardly any flavour of ginger. I went to pay (I was also buying bars of chocolate) and the bill was more than I expected. The girl told me that I'd had some sort of other drink. I told her I'd ordered the pure hot chocolate with ginger and she said they'd been some confusion with my order. You'd think she might not make me pay more and just have me pay for what I had ordered. But no! I got given the wrong thing, it wasnt my fault, i had to pay more for it and it wasn't that good. You may think this is not a big deal in the scheme of things, and you are of course exactly right. But to put it into perspective I'd hired a bicycle to go down, and even booked an afternoon shuttle to bocas so that I'd have time to visit iCaribeans, instead of using the public transport. So lol. I was SO looking forward to that silky thick liquid heaven! Wish I hadn't paid. Hopefully Bocas will give me my fix!

Visited July 2014
caribeans, Owner at Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
So sorry to hear we were less than excellent.

Clearly we did not meet your expectations. Communication is key. Our staff is normally very responsive when they are informed of a problem. If you ordered a hot chocolate with ginger you would receive our lightest milkiest chocolate drink. Our menu item of a "drinking chocolate" is the thick, dairy free, drink you wanted. Our staff is trained to make the drinks ordered in the way they are designed. As far as the price difference our pure drinking chocolate with ginger is $2.40 USD and the hot chocolate is $3.00 USD.

We will always make a refund or change, if the complaint happens at the time of delivery. If we had been made aware that you wanted something different than delivered, immediately we would have made the drinking chocolate and you would be amazed at the intensity of flavor.

I hope you do find the types of products you are looking for in your travels. And I believe you were in the best chocolate and coffee shop in Central America. Sadly the drink you wanted was two inches above the drink you ordered. :)
Warsaw, Poland
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Must visit if in the area”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We enjoyed every minute of the chocolate making tour. The guides were wonderful and we learned A LOT. From the cocoa trees, to the history oft he region, to the chocolate making process step by step, to the chocolate tasting - all was one wonderful experience. Thank you very much for the unforgetable tour

Visited March 2014