“No really, STOP Your Search!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Mother Dear Ocean Cottages
Fairmont wWest Virginia, USA
“No really, STOP Your Search!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Let me first start by saying the Jimmy and Debbie are the most wonderful people we could have ever dreamed to have met. This was our first trip to Costa Rica, and we were a little nervous. I had done several months of research leading up to our vacation and when you do in-depth research like I do you find both the good and the bad. Well, our fears nearly melted away when we met Jimmy and Debbie. Even though we arrived later than scheduled they were there, flashlight in hand and smiles on their faces, to give us a tour of the immaculate cottages. As I told them in a farewell email. They are five-star people with a five-star operation.

On to the good stuff...
The Cottages:
If you have viewed any of the photos on TripAdvisor or their website, motherdearcr.com, you will be amazed at the accuracy. From the views of the garden and ocean to the well decorated cabinas. Built with comfort, privacy, and openness in mind, these cottages were some of the most relaxing accomodations my wife and I have had the pleasure of enjoying.

The Porch:
This is where my wife and I spent a lot of time talking and drinking coffee. You can relax in the hammock, two bar stools, or the quaint dining area. We really enjoyed having a snack and counting the wave crash against the black beach. It was really the most relaxing portion of our vacation.

The Kitchen:
I would describe it as just the right size. You have two burners for cooking most anything you want and a full-size refrigerator for all of your beverages or perishable foods. They also stocked a few starter items for you, which came in handy since we didn't arrive until late.

The Bed:
Ahhhh, the bed...
First thing is first, it is HUGE! It is a king size bed that is as comfortable as any other on which I've slept. The blankets weren't so heavy that you had to kick them or too light that you felt you needed more. Side note, they also provide smaller blankets for folks like me who need very little cover during sleep. They are rolled up neatly under each night stand.

The Bathroom:
So, although I had done several months of research before our trip I hadn't thought to look at the different types of septic systems that we might encounter. Well, there are very delicate septic systems on the Costa Rican Caribe that require you not dispose of paper in the toilet. (This was a surprise to me). Fear not! Mother Dear is equipped with a septic system capable of this very neglected luxury most of us take for granted. This bathroom made me want to remodel my own when I returned. It has a huge shower with glass tiles and a stone floor, a large vanity for all of my wifes makeup and hair doo-hickies, and a counter top large enough that you could serve a dinner to four people.

The Garden:
Beautifully landscaped with local flora and attractant to many of the magnificent wildlife that we desired to see on our trip (lizards, frogs, ect.. (nothing scary)). It provides a short walk from the cottages to the beach as well as to the independent deck right along the sand.

The Beach:
Playa Negra (Black Beach). I had never seen a black sand beach before, and when I did it was so beautiful to see the contrast between it, the ocean, and the rest of the backdrop. We were able to spend some time lounging between the rain storms and really enjoyed watching the locals play pickup soccer or saying hello to those walking their dogs. The ocean was a bit rough due to the weather, but I easily and safely swam several times during our stay.

Overall:
I really recommend you stop your search for lodging in Puerto Viejo. Mother Dear is the perfect place to enjoy this wonderful area. You are safe, cozy, relaxed, and just plain 'on vactation'.

The only thing I would recommend is that you message me first to make sure you don't book them the same time we do!

Seth & Kuirsta

Room Tip: Two cottages are identical. You can't go wrong with either of them.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SWilliams13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I spent a week here and absolutely loved it. The cottages have beautiful ocean views and are actually just a few steps from a virtually private beach. With Jimmy and Debbie you cannot ask for better hosts; warm, friendly and helpful when needed. The property feels very safe and secure and is locked up at night. Taxis are only a few dollars to / from town. We stayed here without a car and had no problems getting around. Definitely recommended!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Jimmy and Debbie, the proprietors of Mother Dear, know hospitality authentically. They have lived and traveled internationally and understand well the needs and desires of guests. Like a perfect waiter in a classy restaurant, their presence is there when you want it and invisible when you don't. The location speaks for itself--right on a beautiful stretch of beach, close enough to town to walk if you like, and far enough away for peace and quiet. The cottages are exceptionally well crafted from quality materials and are kept spotlessly clean. Attention to detail is evident everywhere you look. A wonderful place to stay with easy access to the charm, cultural diversity, great restaurants, music & dance, and tourist adventures that are putting Puerto Viejo on the map. Or, just stay at the cottage and enjoy your solitude in peace and quiet surrounded by nature and beauty. If you happen to be there on a Monday evening, you can have the pleasure of hearing Debbie sing in a group at Lazy Mon in Puerto Viejo just as the sun sets over the bay. It has been several days now since staying at Mother Dear and the afterglow of the experience lingers on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ohbegrateful
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the cottage for a honeymoon and had a wonderful time. The deck had a fantastic view of the ocean and the beach was virtually empty.

Jimmy and Debbie were great. They had recommendations for restaurants and were able to call us a taxi any time we wanted to go out in the evening. Puerto Viejo was within walking distance and we would venture into the town during the day.

It's hard to say much more than what other have already said. The place was wonderful and we would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I spent five days here on our honeymoon and it could not have been a more romantic and intimate setting for us to spend some quality relaxation time together! We were able to wake up to the birds, eat breakfast on our porch and enjoy the waves! The place is right on the beach and only a short walk/bike ride into town where there are a variety of restaurants and shops to keep you busy! We found it enjoyable to hit up the local supermarket as well and cook on the stove provided in our cottage kitchen for a variety of our meals! Felt so homey! Jim and Debbie (the owners) were more than helpful and willing to call us a cab into town or recommend places to go as well! Debbie even took the time to drive us into town and show us around the first day of our stay! We would definitely recommend Mother Dear for couples who are looking for a place to relax and get away from the crowds and truly take in the scenery and life in Puerto Viejo!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Krista C
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 May 2014

unfortunately, we only spent 2 days in this marvellos accomodation. Before the booking I was attracted by the pictures. But the reality is even better. Jimmy is a very friendly and excellent host. He knows about the excellent mixture between being present and give you enough space to enjoy the stay. The cabina itself is spacious, well equipped with a lot of taste and love in details. The view is stunning and we did without going to restaurant in town since we wanted to enjoy the stay there. So we only left the place for shopping food and take a swim. You feel like king and queen sitting on the veranda on your bar chairs and watching the beach front with the peaceful strand life. We had a little friend with us. A bird watching us in the bathroom whenever we get water from the tap. Mother Dear was a very good experience and I only can warmly recommend it. Thanks to Jimmy for his kindness.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Intervale, NH
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We loved our stay at Mother Dear Cottages. It was the perfect distance from town, away from it all yet close enough to walk along the beach for dinner. We rented bikes and had a blast, using them as quick transportation to Puerto Viejo (great food!) and for fun excursions beyond to some of the other great beaches and other adventures. The cottages are beautiful and just right for those of us who love to vacation off the beaten path a bit but want a little more comfort and luxury now that we're a little older. Debbie and Jim are very kind people and gave us some great area information. They do a great job of being available but not intrusive, creating a very private yet welcoming feel. The hammock on the porch is perfect for reading or afternoon siestas!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple