“Never again!!!!”

Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses
Saint Georges, Canada
“Never again!!!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I went there in march 2014. We were supposed to spent 5 nights and finally we spent only 23 hours!!!! I'm a backpakers, but I need a little bit of comfort. The place is nice, I was happy when I saw the place, but when I saw my room, it was horrible. It was a hard-packed surface, all in wood, no window. The shower is outside fixed with a rope in a tree. The toilett is outside too, the toilet paper humid. We did a small grocery in the day. We put our bread on the top of the cupboard, but during the night we heard something, it was a rat eating our bread.
Never again. Horrible!
Finally, the place, ce went there to dive, the dive shop was close at 2 pm, nobody can tell us if it's nice to dive there. The beack is not so nice, the wves are very hard, like dangerous (even if i'm a very good swimmer)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
WalabaHostel, Owner at Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Walaba it´s been one of my dreams coming true 24 years building it with care, love and many jungle difficulties. In all these years I was not able -because of family reasons- to live and manage my place so it´s been managed by other assalary strangers that obviously they careless of my place.

Nevertheless I want to inform that since the 1st of august I moved to live here and things had changed radically with a new vision and lot´s of love.

Be witnesses and come visit again or for the first time. You won´t regret it. It´s worth it since the last cent! Alejandra

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Walaba is where you can really immerse in what Costa Rica has to show. The beach that is 2 minutes away from the hostel is great, and there are many other places you can visit within walking/biking distance. I spent 3 days there in the beginning of my trip to Costa Rica, and then I decided to go back there at the end of my trip just because it was so good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Walaba Hostel felt more like a quaint home where you can truly relax!
The best part for me was the location. Punta Uva is an untouched and absolutely gorgeous area with the beach 5 minutes walk away. The water is calmer and ideal for swimming.
Vincent, one of the owners of Walaba, was such an excellent host and incredibly friendly, helpful and informative.
There are plenty of bikes for rent to spend the day exploring, and an easy 5km ride to Puerto Viejo town if you are looking for a livelier vibe for the day, ATM or bigger grocery store.
The rooms were small and cosy and bathrooms kept clean.
Be warned that the mosquitoes are unbelievably vicious and relentless here so make sure to come prepared beforehand.
Also take into account that food and basic necessities are ridiculously pricey, so best to share costs and cook together in the sweet kitchen.
The bus system is really impressive with a bus that does a daily route, passing straight passed Walaba and direct to San Jose, inexpensive too.
Thanks for the wonderful stay!
Kerri from South Africa.

• Stayed April 2014
WalabaHostel, Manager at Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Clear up only!
Vincent was a manager here in Walaba Hostel. Alejandra, the actual owner is now the new manager. Thank you for your nice comment! Come back anytime :)
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Had a great time, in walking distance to the best beach in the area. Located right in the rain forest so you can hear the howler monkeys at night. Great common room with lots of areas to chill out. Plus had a fantastic kitchen.

• Stayed April 2014
Mackinac Island, Michigan
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This place was lots of fun. The staff are awesome thanks Vincent and Greta foe everything. Relax vibe here and lots of interesting people pass through. Stayed in a dorm room and a private room simple rooms and perfect for a good nights sleep. The beach nearby is quaint and very private. Kitchen has pretty much everything you need to cook as food can be a problem to find and expensive in CR. Wildlife right outside your window monkeys and birds will wake you in the morning so no need to set an alarm. I would return here as it is just a great place to relax.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here back in November on my way to Punta Mona and had such a super rad experience. First, it was really nice to get out of the bustle of Peurto Veijo with my cousin to kick back and relax with the jungle vibe and re-charge at the nearby beach. Secondly, the owners are super cool very nice people and very helpful, when I asked to stash my extra bags while I went into the jungle they were so nice about it (cautionary note to travellers keeping clothes in plastic bags in the humid tropical rainforest, they tend to get moldy very quickly so be careful, however it is harmless green mold and washes completely off, all good after a good wash). I stayed here again on my way back from the jungle and they were super nice about the whole thing. I rented a bike and cycled in to Peurto to visit friends at the bar which was alot of fun, if you like to cycle I highly recommended to make that trip on a clear night, the stars are amazing but bring a flashlight! Also recommend the hiking trail across from the hostel to the right of the beach which takes you over to a side beach which is less crowded and very long and beautiful great for yoga and meditation! Over-all would love to go back, the private rooms are nice and comfy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 19 February 2014

After reading the reviews I expected a bit more. There is a jungle feel, indeed. I would not call this place a clean but I have admit that in this humid climate it might be hard to keep anything clean. There are two kitchens. At least the one on the ground floor wasn't very welcoming. Part of the jungle feel are the mosquitoes that are there also during the day. There was a large enough net covering the double bed. We got quite bitten still so I don't know what kind of bugs there were. A stronger repellent would have been needed than I had.

Staff is helpful they do their best to create a nice atmosphere. I was also grateful for their flexibility when I messed up with my Hostelworld booking.

I enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere of this place. It is very close to the beach and you can find several restaurants and two supermarkets from walking distance.

Thanks for the waste sorting facilities. I was happy to use them. Since sorting instructions vary from one country to another it might be a good idea to have list next to each of the bins what to put there. Recyclables is too general of an advice.

It is good to remind visitors that water is a scarce resource. However if the shower is leaking 24/7 that probably has larger contribution than the people using the shower. Pls. fix the leakage first before asking the guests to save water.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple