“Relaxing and in a good position”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hidden Jungle Beach House
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed here just for one night because I had a pretty busy itinerary to follow, but I would had like to spend more days. The hostel is easy to reach if you ask the bus driver to drop you off at Kaya's Place (not my case though, he drop me off to far!) but I called Lisa on the phone and she guided me step to step! The hostel is located just 5 minutes walking outside Puerto Viejo, in front of Playa Negra (Black Beach).
The place was clean and comfy, with a mosquito net covering the bed, here you HAVE to have one if you wanna sleep. The mattress was a bit humid though, but in this part of Costa Rica humidity is a must have! There was a fan in the room, a very good thing to have. The kitchen is well furnished and there's a supermarket where you can buy food just few minutes away.
Lisa is a very nice person, she helped me a lot finding activities to do close to Puerto Viejo like the Jaguar Rescue Center, just 15 minutes away. I also rented a bike from her to reach Punta Uva, a great Caribbean beach 30 minutes away from Puerto Viejo. She also helped me calling a taxi to reach the Rescue Center, that morning was pouring down!
This place definitely deserve a try!! :)

Room Tip: Rooms have big windows with a great nature view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank GuendalinaDS
Lisa V, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thanks for the nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed my place.

To reply about the humidity: yes it is humid here in the Caribbean. The mattress you had was in very good condition and it was not at all wet. I am very careful to keep my place clean and fresh.

And as for the Rescue Center that you went to: I just want to clarify to the readers - it was the Jaguar Wild Animal Rescue Center. I didn't want anyone to think it was YOU who needed a rescue :)

Reviewed 14 August 2012

If you are looking for a few days of relax and would like to stay out of the trouble and partying of Puerto Viejo, Lisa's Hidden Jungle Beach House just a few hundred meters away from "downtown" is the right place for you. It has four small rooms and a shared bathroom/shower. You can use the kitchen in case you might wish to cook or to prepare breakfast in the morning. Lisa is a very attentive and dedicated host and can help with any questions regarding things to do in and around Puerto Viejo.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ka A
Lisa V, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thanks for the very nice review. And what you said is exactly true. My place is very close to all the fun activity, but when you want to enjoy the tranquility of nature and get a good night's sleep, you can find it here.

One detail though - I do not call my place a hostel. It is a Guest House. Hostels give the idea of cheap dorm living with lots of people. I have only 4 rooms and they are all private. My Guest House is a step up from a hostel.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is one of the best places to stay in Puerto Viejo, if you are looking to relax and take it easy.

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week, and really enjoyed it. you are about a block from the beach, so every morning we would walk the two minutes to the beach, Playa Negra, where it was relatively empty, making it even more relaxing.

The house, set back from the road, is definitely hidden, making it all the more quiet and safe. Also, having a full kitchen is awesome - we cooked all our meals here, allowing us more money to go out and get drinks and appetizers at a number of great locations in Puerto Viejo.

For us, it was great - we would often go out to enjoy happy hour or to stay out late, partying it up at a few bars in town. We went and had some drinks with friends at Rockin J's, and were very happy with the choice we made - it was great to go visit the PARTY that was happening there, but it was even better to be able to walk to our quiet, peaceful home where we could get some real sleep rather in a bed than be woken up by someone in the neighboring hammock!!

Lisa is very on top of things around the house, helpful if you have questions, but also has her way of doing things.

Our only complaint was that when the house was full, everyone was living on top of each other. The walls are pretty thin, so you can hear what else is going on in the house, and if someone doesn't get along, it can get a little awkward. However, if you're going with multiple friends, this wouldn't be a problem, and like I said, this is our only real complaint!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thanks for the nice review. I am glad you enjoyed my place. As for your only complaint, I totally understand. The place is small and the 4 rooms are close together. But I have never had anyone who did not get along, causing people to hear other's domestic arguments. Snoring and the dogs barking at night sometimes is usually the worst of the noise. And that is tempered by the sounds of the waves and the jungle. Hidden Jungle Beach House is not perfect but I do as much as I can to make it nice and make everyone comfortable.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

The reviews I've read of the hidden Jungle Beach House were very complimetary and well deserved. I've stayed in a lot of hostels in the last few decades but this one has an appeal all of it's own. A true Tico house tucked away and wrapped in jungle. It's a three minute walk to the beach or four if you've really honed in on Carribean culture.

The "noise" you hear isn't the bars or people, it's the surf you go to sleep to and wake up to in the morning.

A great place and a lovely hostess!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for your nice review. If I am a lovely hostess it is because I have lovely guests. Trip Advisor brings me some wonderful people!

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Lisa is a great host, her location is convenient (not in town but right next to it)

She pays lots of attention to detail and makes a genuine effort to deliver the best experience for her guests.

If you need advice on what activities are available in Puerto Viejo, just ask her, she is very knowledgeable and eager to offer suggestions.

Very good option for those of us on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thanks for the good review. I notice YOU pay attention to detail, too in your description of what I do. I try hard to make everyone feel at home and make available every resource possible, for my guests.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Just had a great stay at Hidden Jungle Beach House in Puerto Viejo. The house is very cozy and comfortable, with soft beds and plush pillows...a rarity in Central America.
Lisa is a wonderful hostess and makes you feel right at home. She has two friendly dogs, Sativa and Santo, and a sweet kitty names Little-Bit.
The kitchen is stocked with everything you need to prepare your own meals. The common areas are conducive to meeting other guests and after a couple of days it feels like staying with family. There is free high-speed internet and cable TV. Hot water in the shower (a big plus!) and a wonderful jungle setting where you can listen to all the birds and other jungle animals throughout the day and night. Sometimes she even gets wildlife that comes right up to the house. A couple of days before I got here she had a sloth on the porch. So cool!
It is located very close to town ( 5 minute walk) and the beach is right across the street. Great beach for swimming too! Lisa has bikes you can rent for $8 a day, and you can bike just about anywhere nearby from Cahuita to Manzanillo. The area is very bike friendly.
Overall this is a great place that I would highly recommend. A very unique stay that I will always remember.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah Q
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thanks for the nice and very thorough review. You covered just about everything we have to offer. I am so glad you had a nice time here and really felt at home. My mission has been accomplished!

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I had been researching a trip to Costa Rica for some time when I came across Lisa’s Blog, and was impressed with the depth of information, and her personal story on becoming an expat in Costa Rica; so what better spot to begin since my interest was learning more about living in Costa Rica.

During my stay I took 2 tours with Lisa, and I was able to get a good introduction to the area from Puerto Viejo to Manzanilo, as well as a road trip up into the mountains along the Panama border and through some of the indigenous Bri Bri villages. Lisa was not only a detailed guide and fun person to be with but was kind enough to introduce me to other expats in the area, which really helped me get a view of life in Caribbean Costa Rica.

I can’t tell you how beautiful the Caribbean area of Costa Rica is, and if you prefer the “less developed” side; you will appreciate the life here. I found the people I met here to be really friendly and sweet and I think you will too. Thanks to Lisa I had a wonderful introduction to the area.

As well the location and accommodations were great. I especially liked that my window (when open) looked out directly into the jungle. On my second day there, while standing in the kitchen we spotted a Sloth climbing up the very tree viewed from my room.

I certainly plan on returning again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thanks for your great review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I"m glad to have been able to help you and share what I love about Costa Rica's Caribbean.