“great !!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hidden Jungle Beach House
GreenLeadersSilver level
new york
“great !!!!!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

i was looking for a place to rest and relax for couples of days...... omg !!!! how lucky to find linda and her little jungle house....after you pass thru security check point ( 2 big dogs), she makes you feel at home...every corner in this house is labeled ,so you will know where and what to do ....it's her way to keep the house clean ..my room have big windows and there was no need for the fan , early morning i woke up to the sound of birds and monkeys...cool!! the shower downstair spotless!!! so is the kitchen...but town is only 2 minutes away with plenty restaurants and bars and other sports activities....anyway thank you linda for renting me the big bike!!!! i love you place !!! hope to be back asap!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank baronwillie
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thanks so much for the nice review, Willie. I'm glad you enjoyed my place and got the relaxation you were looking for. That is why we are here!

And just one more thing: to keep people from being confused - my name is Lisa - not Linda. But if you were simply giving me a compliment (linda means pretty in Spanish) then I'll take it and thank you again, very much!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
CARY
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I sent my wife to Costa Rica to check it out for a possible retirement location and I entrusted HJBH to make the decision. Well Lisa and her accommodations did exactly what I hoped showing my wife a great time and helped her fall in love with CR. This is not a fancy place but one filled with fun and adventure in simple surroundings. My wife always felt safe, learned to share her room with lizards, walked to the beach in the morning and to town for lunch. The WIFI Internet was reliable and allowed me to talk to my wife each note almost like we were at home. My wife visited the Rescue Center and had Lisa take her on a few trips to get the lay of the land. My wife also took a weekend trip to Panama, which was an adventure of busses, walking and land / water taxis that she still talks about. If you want to chill and disconnect and enjoy a simple vacation, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vaughn E
Wow, your wife was here quite a while ago! It was such a nice surprise to find this very nice review you wrote for me today. Thanks so much. I'm so glad you both are pleased with what you've found in Costa Rica and I can't wait to visit you when you move here.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hidden Jungle Beach House for a week in the second half of June 2013. In summary, we had an amazing time! Our room was very comfortable, we went to sleep each night and woke up each morning to sounds of the jungle and even saw a sloth right outside our window on two occasions. The location was perfect: a two minute walk from the beach (Playa Negra) and right on the edge of town but far away enough away to where it wasn't noisy.

The owner, Lisa, is a wonderful person and is extremely knowledgable about the area. She gave us advice on sightseeing, provided excellent restaurant recommendations, and even set us up with a horse riding tour! I would fully recommend the Hidden Jungle Beach House to anybody visiting the area who is looking for a friendly and comfortable atmosphere with easy access to Puerto Viejo and its surrounding attractions.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Frog room which very comfortably accommodated two people and all of our belongings.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thanks so much for your very nice review, Devin. I really enjoyed having you and your sweet girlfriend stay at my place. It was delightful to see her enjoy her first dip in the ocean and her first horseback ride. You two were so excited and full of enthusiasm. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I hope you come back to visit again!
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed 22 June 2013

After reading Lisa Valencia’s blog and book on finding a new life in Costa Rica, reading reviews of her Hidden Jungle Beach House and the area, and talking with her by phone, I booked my first solo trip abroad to Puerto Viejo. As a writer who promotes international culture and Latin dance, I was drawn there by the town’s diversity; and since I’ve considered moving abroad one day, I wanted to “try on” the expat life in a country many Americans now call home. I wanted to live like a local for 11 days in a peaceful place I could afford alone. Lisa’s house and hospitality provided the opportunity to experience Pura Vida and to test the waters of Costa Rica’s Caribbean coast.

Following the advice on her blog, I asked Lisa to book Vida Tropical in Alejuela (just outside San Jose) for the night I arrived and for the night before I departed. She also booked the interbus which leaves at 7 AM daily to transport me to and from the jungle. It was nice after the flight to be greeted at the taxi by Vida Tropical owner Isabel and later by her husband Norman at their restaurant for dinner. Tag-teaming with Lisa, Isabel arranged taxis to the interbus pickup hotel for my getting to Puerto Viejo and to the airport for my flight home. The interbus rides to and from the jungle were comfortable and affordable.

The Hidden Jungle Beach House is an exceptional deal for the nightly rate and is exactly as it appears in the pictures—clean and colorful. My room was the blue one—just off the living room with a view to hibiscus and butterflies. Though I booked expecting no screens on the window, it was a nice surprise that when I arrived she had just finished installing them. I was there May 24-June 2; and while I had plenty of beach time by day, by night the jungle simmered down so that I’d turn off my fan and sleep under a blanket.

Puerto Viejo is often a party of reggae and revelry, motorbikes and SUVs, taxi drivers and street vendors, clubs and karaoke. Yet despite the town being only a five-minute walk away, the beach house is quiet and restful. At night the jungle insulates against all but natural noises—the crooning of frogs, the pounding of the surf, the crowing of distant roosters, the howling of monkeys. Some nights I fell asleep to the sound of rain on the tin roof. Each morning I awoke to sunshine and coffee (provided) in the coolness of the kitchen. Just up the road are markets for groceries, banks and restaurants. I saved money, gained a love of bananas cooked in coconut oil, and got to know others in the house by cooking in the communal kitchen. For a minimal fee Lisa offers purified water, which Latin American friends from home and some locals there recommend drinking.

Two days I rented bikes from her for beach-hopping up the coast-- solo one day and the other with Tonja, my new German friend who was also renting from Lisa. She and Lisa were really kind to me when I wasn’t feeling well a couple of days and so was Oscar, Lisa’s friend and “yard guy” who cut me fresh coconuts from her garden to drink. One of my favorite memories of the trip was dancing salsa in the kitchen one night with Lisa and Tonja (who taught Latin dance 3 years). Twice Lisa took me dancing with locals including a friend who also instructs salsa.

Other great experiences included a horse ride in the jungle/on the beach Lisa set up with her friend, Raul, and a private chocolate-making demonstration at the home of her Bri Bri friend, Priscilla. Lisa pointed me to favorite restaurants, the farmer’s market—a Saturday morning meeting place for expats/locals—and spoke to a couple of friends about my taking their Caribbean cooking classes.

Whether or not I move abroad one day, this trip was such a positive adventure I have considered renting my downstairs apartment to Nashville tourists. I appreciate the little things (sharing her movie collection, balcony for reading/writing outdoors, insider tips) and the big things (treating guests as friends) Lisa did to make my stay authentic, comfortable, peaceful and fun.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank CindyMcCain
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
What a nice review, thank you so much. You were great to have as a guest and I can see you are a very good writer. No one has written in such detail about their experience at my place and in Puerto Viejo. I appreciate your telling everyone about all the fun things you got to do and how I helped you out, especially the dancing and horseback riding. That was fun for me, too! Your review will really help those thinking of exploring a life in Costa Rica, showing them by example, how they can enjoy learning about the area like you did. I do everything I can to help my guest's trip go smoothly and accomplish their goals, whether a simple vacation or an investigative adventure. Thanks so much for showing your appreciation.
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

great location just outside of town. everything is within walking distance including the grocery store, restaurants, shops, and the beach, but you still experience the tranquility of the jungle and can hear the ocean waves. the room was comfortable, we really enjoyed use of the kitchen and the hammocks are a perfect place to lounge and watch the rain. Our only downside was that the owner, who you share the house with, has a lot of rules about how to lock up the house, where to put your things, and what you can and cant do at the house. I understand her need for security but at times it was excessive and uncomfortable, it was like you were always afraid of messing up. we left feeling that we were imposing on her by being there rather than her being a warm host. I guess I just expect better customer service when you are paying to stay someplace for 8 nights. Overall we did enjoy our time here, its hard not too, the Caribbean is beautiful and there is lots to explore!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lacey M
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
The first thing I want to say is that I am so sorry you felt uncomfortable. I try my best but of course, I always have something more to learn. For me it is a challenge to balance a concern for comfort and cleanliness for all my guests with a concern for individuals preferences and lifestyle. I appreciate your honesty and will take what you have said into consideration.

As for the others who are reading this review, I do hope you continue on to see what the majority of my guests have said about my hospitality.
Thank you, sincerely.
panama
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I only had one week in Hidden Jungle Beach House, and it was the most peaceful time for me....
You can tell from the moment you arrive that this is like a second home ... and this is because of Lisa, the host... she is available to help you with any and everything that you need... she seemed like an immediate friend. Lets not forget the dogs and the kitten too ... they are part of this wonderful hidden paradise... The place is very clean and comfortable.
Everything is so near... the town,the beach, you can feel the tranquility ...
There is not a better place to stay and relax in Puerto Viejo. Thank you Lisa for letting me share your little bit of heaven. Cant wait to return.....

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, Kathia. You make all my work worthwhile!
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed at Hidden Jungle Beach House for about 2 weeks in April 2013. It was the perfect place to stay. The rooms were very clean. The host, Lisa was very friendly and helpful. The location was awesome. It's a one minute walk to the beach. It's a 5 min. walk to downtown. I was able to meet people from Amsterdam, Canada, New York, Georgia, and Austria. Lisa was also kind enough to take me with her to an expat birthday party. I was able to relax on the hammock while doing some "light" work. It was truly what I needed.

On one of my outings I visited a river and took a fall. To make a very long story short, I ended up having a life threatening infection which I later found out started in the US. Lisa was not just accommodating but went out of her way to bring me items I needed while in the Hone Creek Clinic. She also kept my wife up to date on how I was doing on a daily basis as communications were difficult. I ended up being transferred to the Limon hospital then to Cima Hospital where I had 4 emergency surgeries. Honestly, had Lisa not been there to assist me and help with communications with my wife I am not sure I would have made it.

I recommend the Hidden Jungle Beach House because it's a great place to stay and because Lisa is not only a great host but she also truly cares about her guests. Thank-you Lisa for everything and my wife and I hope to see you soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Thanks for the very nice Review, Jon. I do care about my guests and I am glad to hear that you are doing better these days. It is good to know that your set back did not dissuade you from coming back to Costa Rica again.