“Fantastic Service and Hospitality”
Review of Exotica Lodge

Exotica Lodge
North Richland Hills, Texas
“Fantastic Service and Hospitality”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We were referred to here from a new friend and a fantastic Venezuelan chef. Absolutely tranquillo. You can here the roaring surf of the Caribbean, while you lounge in a hammock surrounded by lush greenery. A little bit of traffic sounds during the day and nightlife is bustling a night. This is the true beach town with plenty to do and Exotica Lodge has you about 1km from the Centro Cuidad. You will love it.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
brisbane
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I grew up in far north tropical Australia. I know how hard it can be to keep mould from taking over in the tropics, HOWEVER, the kitchen utensils were absolutely disgusting. It was like they had never been cleaned. There were dead bugs everywhere. The window sills were filthy. The sheets were gross and although all bath towels in Costa Rica seem thin mine was so thin it had worn through.

The hot water was poor. The beds uncomfortable. The tv very small and signal very fuzzy.

The fan worked very well. The wifi was great.

$55/night. I'm very sorry that i had to spend 2 nights here.

Room Tip: Don't do it. Stay elsewhere

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked a private room for 3 people for 3 nights through booking.com. It had been raining for 2 weeks strait prior to our arrival and the poor drainage of Exotic Lodge meant that there was stagnant water over almost all of the paths to the rooms. The smell was absolutely putrid! After being shown to our first room (Cabin 3) which had mouldy walls, beds, sheets and pillows, and without hot water as advertised on-line, we asked to be moved to another room hoping that it would be mould free.. Cabin 6 was slightly less mouldy but still quiet uninhabitable! As it was late we had no choice but to stay in this disgusting room for the night. The next day we packed our bags and went to the front desk to check out and pay for the one night that we stayed. The owner of the hotel told me that we would have to pay for all 3 nights as that was what we had booked. After disputing this, he locked the front gate and said he was going to call the police. I agreed that the police should to be called. In the interim, I was verbally threatened as he told me that I should leave Puerto Viejo and that I would not be safe if I was to stay.. The police arrived and after a 20min long conversation in Spanish (which I could understand very little) I showed the police the pillow that I was forced to sleep on the previous night and asked them if they would have slept on it?? The answer was No and I was told to pay for the night that we stayed and nothing else, much to the disappointment of the hotel owner..

We moved to a hotel called Yacca Cabinas and for the same price we got a spotless room, hot water, clean surroundings and an amazing family run business/home to stay at..

1 Thank Dom405
Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed in Exotica Lodge 2 nights and recommend this hotel to everybody, I decided to make the reservation in Exotica Lodge because it offered everything that seemed essential for a great weekend at the beach and it was the best decision!! The room was big with two large beds and an individual one, the bathroom was comfortable and for $5 per night we got a/c which was great because it's really hot in Puerto Viejo! We also had a kitchen and a small fridge, a hammock in the deck and a small tv! The hotel is really close to the beach and to good restaurants, makes you feel complete privacy so you won't be hearing the people on the next room. If you need internet access the lodge has good wi-fi and all this for a really good value :) I will definitely come back and probably rent a bike next door since it's the best way to move around Puerto Viejo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a/c because it can get really hot and kitchen :)
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night before a white water rafting trip. The rooms have aircon (extra $5) and a large fridge which is good. Our room had a double and two single beds all very uncomfortable, the sheets had stains on. The room was covered in dust and dead bugs and the bathroom was dirty.
For the price it needs cleaning with new linen, I would not have stayed a second night.

• Stayed May 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I would recommend Exotica Lodge to anyone staying for either a night or a few days. The price of the room was fantastic compared to others in town and for the look of the place. Nacho was very accommodating along with his friendly staff. After conversing with him by email through trip advisor and getting a reservation our check in process was very smooth.
My boyfriend and I stayed in room 2 without a kitchen but with AC for 2 nights. We felt very comfortable sleeping at night as result the gates close at 8:00 at night. It's very close to town and very close to beaches. The place is very clean and offers a washer and dryer. We were unable to use the laundry service as result it was being used every time we went to try to do laundry. There's a fridge in the room which helped with having leftovers and keeping our water cold. Right next door is a bike rental shop which we rented for 24hrs for 2500€. If we come back to Puerto Viejo we'll definitely be staying here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Boquete, Panama
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have have been to Puerto Viejo 3 times in the last year and stayed at 4 different hotels. Exotica Lodge is great value for money especially as they offer the option of air conditioning for only $5 extra per night. The rooms are big and spacious and the grounds make it a nice environment to just hang out in. The location is very convenient for walking to the beach, shops, bars and restaurants.
On the down side I could hear the noise from the bars late on Saturday night and the beds are quite hard. This didnt bother me but it might be a problem for some.
On the whole this is the best place we have found to stay and will be staying there again in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends