“So Relaxing - The Perfect Vacation!”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Baltimore
“So Relaxing - The Perfect Vacation!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I can't even begin to describe how pleased my husband and I were with Samasati. It truly was everything we'd hoped for and more! Liseth was a huge help to us even before we got there, and gave us advice and assistance with everything from transportation to even recommending hotels in San Jose for us to stay in. Being vegetarians and just environmentally conscious in general, we LOVED the fact that their restaurant offered 100% vegetarian buffets at each meal, which were probably some of the most delicious food we've ever eaten. Even meat-eaters will love this cuisine!! The individual open air bungalows were soooo nice and relaxing to hang out in, and the view from the balcony was absolutely breathtaking. In terms of activities, we did a zip line tour, which I HIGHLY recommend. I will admit that I was a bit nervous before hand, especially when the tour guides came to pick us up in their run-down jeep, but honestly that added to the adventure! Just be sure to bring water in a backpack with you, because you will need it! Another must do activity is a simple trip down into the town. We had some of the best margaritas of our lives in a little restaurant there that overlooked the water on one of the side streets. Visitors definitely need to look around and discover the hidden treasures of this place.

So really, to sum it up, this was pretty much the best, most relaxing vacation ever.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a bungalow, totally worth the extra money!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SarahB0Barah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 January 2012

It was a pleasure not to see major hotels in the area so that the native flora & fauna & citizens could be appreciated. I'm still raving over the delicious vegetarian meals that were served in your dining room and I am definitely NOT a vegetarian. The housing at Samasati was clean and comfortable and we didn't miss TV or telephones.

Sylvia and her staff were efficient and accommodating which certainly put me at ease. I make sure I spread the word about our wonderful time at Samasati.

cacoyote@aol.com

3 Thank cacoyote
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My stay at Samasati Nature Retreat was better than expected. It's the perfect spot for any nature lover and health advocate. I've stayed in lots of hotels over the years. Some very fancy and some very shabby. At Samasati, like Goldilocks, I could finally say, this is just right. All the creature comforts were there as well as the added beauty of the forest. Being surrounded by so much nature was truly awesome. I had never heard a howler monkey before and it was a shock when I did. At first, I thought "Big Foot" was outside my door. But it didn't take long for me to anticipate and welcome their resonant calls.

The day trips that can be planned right at the reception desk are convenient and wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful. Everyone comments on the food at Samasati and I must, as well. It was absolutely fantastic; a feast for the taste buds and the eyes, both beautiful and delicious. I am already planning my return trip.

2 Thank Moonglow_lady
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Nothing can describe the energy of place till you get there. It's a hike up the mountain (Don't worry, a 4x4 takes you up there) and then you are in the rain forest, with Caribbean views.

The staff is super friendly and the food is wonderful. A great buffet with all you need. Rooms are great and very spacious, and the property is nicely maintained in a natural way.

I led a yoga group there, and everyone was very happy. They organize activities, and really take care of you. It's not right on the beach, and it doesn't have loud music playing, rather it gives you a chance to find your own inner voice....

A beautiful place to get away, a place to find some inner peace, to disconnect from the race of the world, slow down and enjoy.

3 Thank Doron H
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The other reviews are accurate about the awesome food and jungle setting! We had an amazing time!

That said, be aware that the bungalows are rustic; no air conditioning and lots of bugs (but it IS the jungle). You could find a room in town for about $20, rather than the Samasati price of $150-250/night. It just depends if you want to stay in the jungle, or stay in town and take excursions to the jungle.

I think its worth looking into other prices and deciding what is best for you.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ArizonaTraveler5
Bedford, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 January 2012

There are many reasons people travel, but if one of these is to return to your natural self, your natural rhythm and nature's way, then Samasati is for you. Sure you have to deal with the elements, and for those who need every creature comfort, be warned. But that is what makes Samasati so special. Despite the creatures, you can be comfortable. In fact, if you give yourself half a chance you might be surprised to see what you really need and what you don't. Along with unwanted noise and unwanted calories, Samasati is a place to shed your baggage---speaking of which, you don't need much.

Within reach of Samasati Nature Reserve are numerous day options, including beaches, forests, waterfalls, chocolate and coffee plantations, farms and zip lines. The nearby town of Puerto Viejo is charming and feels quite safe and a good alternative for a meal or some shopping. However, you can also spend the day on the slopes of the hillside where Samasati sites and enjoy watching the sun, moon and stars dance among themselves and in step to the tunes of forest monkeys, birds and frogs.

Whatever you need, if being refreshed is your goal, Samasati is worth the trip. There is nothing like the air and moisture of a rainforest. And there is something to be said for the inspiration of its founders to create a suitable retreat for those in need of something genuine and true.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MichaelatSunRaven
Detroit
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Vegetarian, jungle, paradise, those are the three words I would use to sum up our stay at Samasati Naure Retreat. Incredibly delicious meals coupled with a gracious, friendly staff characterize this awesome venue. My wife, 3 1/2 year, and I had the most amazing stay. The folks running Samasati are genuine, caring, and always welcoming. We look forward to a return visit in the near future. Our only regret was having to leave after one short week due to my work obligations. Riya misses you Molly...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kanwal B
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 8 January 2012
Deepa!! It was wonderful and have you and your family with us! We all hope to see you soon again!