“Life Changing Vacation”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I booked Samasati via Groupon and had almost no expectations - it turned out to be one of the most wonderful trips I've ever taken. Five days there left me thoroughly refreshed and changed. I am not a vegetarian: Samasati's delicious meals left me full and without cravings - I've come home and completely changed my diet. As an introvert, I typically dine alone: Samasati's welcoming dining area encouraged us to visit with staff and other traveler's - the last night we all sat together, a hard rain washing away all signs of life outside the resort and visited - it was magical. I'm not always the most responsible global citizen: Samasati's low-key commitment to the environment and their perch at the top of the rain forest was truly motivating. I knew very little about Costa Rica: Samasati has multiple opportunities to explore this amazing country and meet the locals - every journey exceeded expectation and left me planning my return.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a truly different experience - this comes from a princess who loves luxury: : The fa...
2  Thank Toni N
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for your review! We look forward to have you back at Samasati soon again!!
Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Samasati is the place to go if you know you need to get away from the daily grind and restore your energy. I went after 5 years of intense life stress and I feel amazingly renewed. It's not just the beauty of the place which is phenomenal and has a therapeutic impact every time you look around. The food made me feel healthy and strong every day. Looking out on the ocean at each meal and watching parrots and iguana in the trees I felt closer to the Earth than I have in a long time. There is tons of privacy and space to be alone in the rainforest and experience it uninterrupted. At the same time the social aspect is truly delightful. I made new friends each day and had such long lovely conversations over coffee and wine with the view and fresh air and all possibilities of the area to explore. You could come here solo and have a great balance of me and social time, it would be incredibly romantic to unplug and come here as a couple and we went as a group of more than ten and had hearty laughs every day over the meals. From here you are in the perfect perch to explore all the wonderful aspects of the area without having to be based out of the party-stoner-surfer scene of Puerto Viejo ( which you can go visit anytime).

2  Thank WanderfullLife
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I randomly booked Samasati, and in hindsight, I'm not even sure i know why.. I guess the price was right, and the words "cabin" and "jungle" kind of impressed me, but I lucked out big time. It was exactly what i needed.. When I got there, i ended up extending my stay because i absolutely fell in love with the place. I did NOT see that coming.

Samasati is a Nature retreat. if you've never been in one, you are in for the shock of your life. You arrive at Puerto Viejo, and after a 10 minute cab ride you arrive at the hotel office. When I arrived, they were expecting me to give me a "ride to my room" (gives you an idea of how personal the place is). That was my first "say whaat?!" moment.. what did they mean a ride to my room?

.. so my daughter and I get in the truck, after passing their private gate, and we proceed to climb 2 kilometers uphill, in a dark gravel road surrounded by jungle, finally arriving at "reception".. there, I'm given a map, a list of the services, including massage, yoga classes, tours and more. there are trails to take in the general area, and there is a brief discussion about safety, including monkeys, sloths, fire ants and poison-dart frogs.

Second "say what??" moment.. this is THE JUNGLE. no joke.

We proceed to have dinner which I didn't realize was vegetarian (i didnt bother to read anything before arrival) ... and it was DELICIOUS. Surprisingly so. I went with my 9yr old kid and she loved the food too..again, surprisingly.. the other guests were extremely friendly, and it was common to hear stories about their days, who did what, how it went, what they recommended... very cool dining experience.

Finally, time to head to our cabin, which i believe was called "Namaste 1".. about a 10 minute walk from the receptions... THAT is when i realized the purpose of Samasati. This is where you come to find your place in the universe, and i mean this technically, not philosophically. The cabins are all wood, covered by the jungle canopy. Mine had a STUNNING unobstructed view of the town, the ocean, and the jungle. You cant help but consider how minuscule you are in the context of the vastness of nature. To sit surrounded by the howling of monkeys and the sounds of the jungle is all-consuming. the scents, the air, the temperature (cool enough to not need AC at all.. the provided fans are just perfect) and the moon were...overwhelming. It's a rare experience for someone who has been busy thinking about the past and the future to have to.. NEED to.. focus on the present.. The nature at this retreat demands attention.

I had the WEIRDEST dreams in Samasati. I was told the reason for this (by one of the locals) is that the jungle sounds stimulate areas of your subconscious that you're not used to using. I don't doubt it. Weird dreams got weirder as the nights passed, and stopped when I left.

Honestly, talking about the accommodations i feel almost cheapens the experience. The beds are clean and comfortable, the linens of a good quality, the place spotless, the bathroom , though shared with another cabin downstairs, was always clean and our usage never overlapped. there is NO internet access except all the way at the main gate, about 2KM away, but i think it's a good decision. Also, there is a hot tub, but it was broken during my stay.. bummer.

Come here for the soul searching: what you find might surprise you. it's easy to get to town, and they'll give you a ride back and forth on the truck so you can catch a cab. Food is superb, Puerto Viejo is FUN, and you can do all the tourist things there before heading back to your haven.

Room Tip: you have to choose between view and convenience.. bring a flashlight and go for view, it's worth...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Saida A
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear,
Thank you for your review! I am very delighted of how much you were able to absorb and enjoy all Samasati has to offer. It is a magical place. Sorry about the jacuzzi ... we have had problems with in on and off for a while now. We have finally found the solution and it is ready again to be enjoyed by all the visitors! I look forward to have you back!!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Wau what a great place to do vacation beautiful jungle
Super nice house ….ocean view ……lots of birds and butterflies
The hole family loved it …. Yoga and vegetarian restaurant next door…..

Thank you ….for building such a lovely place ……
Love Peter

Room Tip: Dragon house has a great ocean view......a beautiful house ....lots of space......
2  Thank berryd905
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

What a life changing experience! We stumbled upon Samasti through a Living Social deal and boy are we happy we bought it! I can't rave enough about the food and the staff! Just amazing. We will most defiantly be visiting again and can't wait!!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I just came back from Samasati, I had a great time and I highly recommend this hotel - the location is beautiful, very quiet and with fantastic views of the ocean. I thought the food was delicious, and I am not even vegetarian. My accommodation was great, I spent quite a bit of time just hanging on the hammock in the veranda taking in the surroundings. I have never slept so good in any vacation I remember. The beaches I went to during the day are some of the best beaches I have ever been to, and I have been everywhere in Asia and Southern Europe. I enjoyed doing yoga in the evening, just before dinner - the morning class was so early for me. I have never felt so relaxed and rejuvenated after a vacation, so I am already planning to go back next year, maybe with a small group of friends or even join one of the yoga weeks they have- they seemed to offer an interesting combination of activities. And one more thing: great attention to the client. I read one of the past reviews that speaks so poorly about management so I feel obliged to say that my experience was the opposite: very lovely local staff, I was treated very well and got everything I had asked for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a ocean view or for one of the rooms in Namaste House.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jmill2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Samasati offered more than one could every experience anywhere else. The beauty of nature was appreciated in its entirely. It gives you a chance to slow down and realize that life is what you make of it. I truly was given the opportunity to appreciate what I have and not to take things for granted. The staff, food, bungalows, wildlife, and the smell of the air was simply amazing. Gathering together at dinner to discuss your day and to share your inner thoughts was enjoyable. I learned so much and established relationships that will last a lifetime. If you're looking for a mind, body, and soul experience then you must visit Samasati nature retreat! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Sassyfrasrn
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear,
Thank you for writing your review. I am delighted you could fully enjoy your stay in Costa Rica and the beauties Samasati has to offer. I hope you will soon come back and stay with us again!
Kind regards