“My second time at Samasati and I enjoyed it just as much as the first!”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Chicago
“My second time at Samasati and I enjoyed it just as much as the first!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I originally found Samasati two years ago via Groupon and went for 5 days of yoga/relaxation with my sister. We had a phenomenal time and I was excited to return with my daughter this time. Samasati is as beautiful and remote as I remember, the vegetarian food is delicious, the staff, especially Cecilia are friendly and helpful and Stephanie, the yoga teacher is wonderful! I've stayed in Bungalow 7 and 5, both have beautiful views. It's true that the birds/bugs/monkeys wake you up at 5:45 am and there's not much to do after 8 pm but if you want to get back to nature, unplug from civilization, and just relax there's no place better. There were a few giant scary bugs in our room but we dealt with it! Our favorite activities included renting bikes in Puerto Viejo and biking to Punta Uva and the Water Fall hike with Fernando.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Absolutely amazing!!! Everyone needs to take a break of life, electronics, daily routine, work, co-workers, your boss, your car and the traffic, everything! Have kids? Bring them! Samasati welcomes all ages and offers so many adventures, yoga, delicious food and the amazing sound of nature, rain forest and warm personalities of the staff. Love this Place!! If you are too much of a city person, I do not reccomend it, if mosquitos bother you I suggest you think about it first, however if you are willing to carry your mosquito repellent with you and smile at nature, visit this place, pure magic!

Room Tip: We stayed at one of the houses, a whole house just for two. Go for it, it is worth every penny!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viajem0s
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This place was pure magic. The perfect retreat from civilization and all that comes with a busy life. The staff was friendly, helpful and informative. The plentiful vegetarian meals were AMAZING. The yoga classes will have you blissed out beyond words. I actually cried tears of joy at one point, the experience was so beautiful. The yoga space is also worth note--a round separate structure, tucked into the woods, where all you can hear is the din of happy wildlife who's home you are sharing. Max, our gifted Italian instructor, has friends for life in our group of 7 friends who unanimously considered this our best trip ever!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cantwait4nexttrip
Michigan
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed with Samasati Nature Resort last year. Flew into San Jose on Easter Day, and was transported to Samasati safely, securely and without interruption the very next morning.

I entered true paradise...then led to my bungalow, and REALLY entered into another paradise...

I had my own "house", IN the jungle...

Very clean, very, very well maintained and ....in my humble opinion ;)....the BEST place in Costa Rica.

I will not even look anywhere else.

I will go back as soon as I can.

This place is magical, mystical, and remember....it's a JUNGLE out there, but at Samasati...you are safe.

God Bless!

Room Tip: I stayed in a the single bed bungalow. It was HUGE inside, great bathroom with HOT shower! But....t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kichia32
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We found Samasati on Groupon and arranged for a 4 day girls' weekend. Our goals for the trip were to relax, practice yoga, and see a lot of nature. We were not disappointed! As a group of omnivores we were a bit concerned about the vegetarian menu but this fear was quickly allayed. Each meal was better than the last. The cook's homemade tortillas are to die for! One of our party had a birthday during the trip and the cook made a personalized cake from scratch with an amazing chocolate glaze.
The other reviews are not kidding when they mention the wildlife. You will wake every morning to a chorus of howler monkeys greeting the day. There are sloths hanging out in the trees, huge hummingbirds, poison dart frogs, some pretty impressive spiders (we only saw these outside, never indoors). We only saw a few snakes but I would definitely agree with their advice to use a flashlight at night and always look before you step. A few bullet ants did make their way into the bungalows and the meditation hall but they really didn't cause any issues.
The staff at Samasati are friendly and courteous. Cecilia in particular made it her priority to make sure we were getting the most out our Samasati experience. She helped us arrange some day trips, and there are drivers who will take you down to the city and back at scheduled times. The kitchen will even do packed lunches (arranged in advance) for your day trips.
The yoga - this is the crowning glory of Samasati. Whether you are a beginner or very experienced, Stephanie will make sure you are practicing properly and to the most of your abilities. If you have the opportunity to be there during the full moon, the evening yoga session will be one that you will remember for the rest of your life!
It's very important that you set your expectations correctly - Samasati is literally in the middle of the jungle on top of a mountain. If you're renting a car, it really must be 4WD and you must respect their warnings to arrive during daylight hours. This is not an American-style resort, there is no pool/wifi/air conditioning. The point is to be unplugged and in the present. The bungalows were beautiful, clean, and well-kept but since they are open-air you do have to be prepared for the occasional insect visitor. This is a very humid area so you need to make sure you bring clothes that dry quickly (you will sweat A LOT at yoga and on jungle hikes). If you go to the beach, your beach towel will remain damp for the remainder of the trip. Get over it. It's worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paula W
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy you could enjoy Samasati in ALL its aspects!
I hope you will soon be back!

Best regards,
Silvia
Oakland, California
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I booked 5 nights at Samsati through a Living social deal. I was wary that it would be too "new-agey" and isolated, but it exceeded all of our expectations. The grounds are beautiful, lush jungle full of wildlife surrounds you. The noises in the morning are astounding! We would wake around 6 am and just lie in bed and let the calls of the birds and howler monkeys wash over us. From the hammock on our veranda one morning, I watched 4 Toucans eating from a palm tree. The food was fabulous (even for non-vegetarians), our bungalow simple, light and rustically elegant and we got an excellent ayurvedic massage from Devin (okay, so we went new age). The staff, especially Scott and Cecelia, are friendly and accessible and will help you with any bookings or logistic issues you may have. There are many adventure trips offered through Samasati, including zip-lining, kayak tours and horse rides on the beach. There is no internet service at the lodge or bungalows, so give in to a break from our "connected" world. You are also a bit cut off from the towns and beaches below, so 5 nights was about right for us. However, there's a daily free shuttle to Puerta Viejo, leaving at 10am and returning 3pm and if you want to return past 3, a $ 10- taxi ride will get you from Puerta Viejo to the main gate. The main limitation is that you have to be back to the main gate no later than 8:30pm, but that didn't bother us. So if you're looking for a beautiful retreat in the jungle that is still close to the beach and civilization and lots of activities, Samasati is a great place!

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow 3 and loved it. All bungalows have ocean views except 8-10. Bungalow 5 is clos...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

A perfect retreat in the wilderness. Fantastic views. We booked 4 nights with all meals included not knowing the restaurant is only vegetarian buffet style, don't be late or the food can be cold. There is no internet access in the restaurant or guest accommodations, only at the front office. We tried twice and could not get online.
The rooms are nice although somewhat vacant (no furniture besides the bed) Shared bathrooms! Need I say more!?
The lodgings are 1 mile up a steep drive only accessible by 4x4, which we didn't have so rely on the staff to drive us up/down as needed, which can be painful. The last "taxi" is 8:30pm so don't plan any late nights out. We moved out after the 2nd night as internet access is critical.
The staff are lovely and very helpful but I would not recommend this place unless you are a true nature loving, up at 5am yoga head, who doesn't need internet or their own bathroom.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Byron H
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear,
I am sorry you could not fully enjoy Samasati and its surroundings! Samasati offers rooms with shared bathrooms and bungalows with private bathrooms, wifi is available at the entrance office and all our clients take advantage of it, if you want to spend the evening in town, there are 4x4 taxis that can take you back, the restaurant serves vegetarian food and meals are offered at specific times of the day. Yes: Samasati is for nature lovers! You can hear howler monkeys at around 5, 5:30 am, see toucans from your terrace and enjoy the sounds and amazing nature views... you can relax and rejuvenate, taking a break from the hustle and bustle of our daily life!
Never the less, if you wish to have wifi in your room, a large choice of restaurants and bars and more of a "night life" there are many different hotels in Puerto Viejo that can accommodate you.
Silvia