“Samasati exceeded our high expectations.”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Port Townsend, Washington
“Samasati exceeded our high expectations.”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

From the moment we arrived in Costa Rica, our trip was enhanced by the people of Samasati. We were picked up at the airport by a driver they helped arrange. We arrived at Samasati, and found the setting to be amazing. You are truly in the jungle, and we regularly saw monkeys and toucans and hummingbirds and magical, bright butterflies, too -- all at Samasati. The food, the yoga, the massage, and the people were all incredible. This trip was "out of my comfort zone" because I'm not a fan of bugs and critters and other such things, but I never once felt unsafe or even uncomfortable. We went on several excursions and loved them all. Punta Uva beach, horseback riding on the beach, surfing lessons, Cahuita National Park, smoothies in Puerto Viejo -- all A++ activities. We are excited about returning, and are already wondering when we can next do that. It's true there isn't TV or emailing in your bungalow, but that was a wonderful part of the experience. Relaxing in a hammock & listening to the sounds of the jungle, going to bed early and waking to howler monkeys -- that is the reality, beauty, and one of the many gifts that Samasati provides. Finally, the other guests were a terrific addition to our experience. We participated on a couple of excursions with other guests, we regularly ate meals with other guests, and we will likely remain in touch with some as well. Staying at Samasati was, overall, an incredible experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I'll be honest. I had read some bad reviews about this place and was thinking twice about having purchased the Groupon for 5 nights for my wife and I, thinking we would run out of things to do, it would be too humid/hot/rainy, there would be scorpions in our room, unfriendly staff, the whole transportation to town, etc. I was wrong on all accounts. Dont believe the reviews from complainers who probably should have skipped costa rica altogether.

Plenty on great local outings which Samasati makes readily available and easy to sign up. If you want to go surfing the first day, the jaguar rescue the next day, and chocolate tasting the 3rd its all there. We loved all 3, hung out at the beach and hiked every day in the jungle. Never was a dull moment. We also relaxed every night with a book, incredible massage or the sounds of the jungle.

Shuttle to town was easy and free. People complain of having to come back at 3 pm. 90% of the time we were done w our outing and ready to come back. If not we just took a taxi back, super cheap (10 bucks), end of story.

All the staff we met at Samasati were amazing. Cecelia, Judy, Jasmine (best massage we've had in a while) Frederico and all others made our stay very enjoyable. Judy even brought my wife ginger tea to our bungalow when she didnt show up to dinner due to upset stomach. Above and beyond. Thank you.

Bungalows were very nice. Comfortable bed, hammock, oversized towels, deck with incredible views.

Yes we did have little critters running around outside our bungalow. Awesome red frogs and squirrels. We had a small gecko in our room from time to time we named Blue. There were ants and butterflies and mosquitos and scorpions (which we did not see) and howler monkeys who howl in the morning and the most amazing toucans at Samasati. And rain. It is a RAIN FOREST after all and if the idea of waking up in nature for a week weirds you out a little then you better skip Samasati and find a commercial resort on the beach.

However, if the idea of doing yoga in a beautiful natural setting surrounded by amazing wildlife, while you eat amazing food (and i am not vegetarian) where their is no TV or phone distractions, where you can go to heal yourself from the world, then Samasati may be just your ticket.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jcc3839
Alameda, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay here and while at the resort I though the itching my boyfriend and I had was just mosquitoes and sunburns- well 2+months, 2 doctors visits, 4 rounds of scabicides, several hundred dollars and itchy sleepless nights later I'm struggling to day dream about my adventures in the tropical rainforest. After we discovered we had scabies- I called the resort and request that they take action to remedy the problem and prevent other travelers from contracting scabies- no one has called me back in regards to this. The food was great, staff were nice, views were priceless, everything was planned out for us- don't go here unless they have remedied the scabies and you might want to bring your might want to bring your own linens and a plastic mattress cover. The resort was very quiet and relaxing until the last day when a huge group of yelling kids and a yelling cursing man arrived- who brings toddlers to the jungle and who goes to the rainforest to yell at people on their cell phone? PS this review was written after the resort contacted my boyfriend and requested that he write a tripadvisor review- so here ya go.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MOeCA1
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hello,
I am sorry to hear that you have had such problems upon your return to the States.
We never had such a thing reported or observed at Samasati. We have just in January renewed all our mattresses and linen for all the accommodation and we have a crew of three women cleaning rooms every day. The Health department of Costa Rica inspects the facilities every 6 months. Needless to say that is our pride and priority at Samasati to offer a clean and safe environment in the forest. It is sad to be accused of such a problem and there is no much more we can say in response to this.
Chicago
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I originally found Samasati two years ago via Groupon and went for 5 days of yoga/relaxation with my sister. We had a phenomenal time and I was excited to return with my daughter this time. Samasati is as beautiful and remote as I remember, the vegetarian food is delicious, the staff, especially Cecilia are friendly and helpful and Stephanie, the yoga teacher is wonderful! I've stayed in Bungalow 7 and 5, both have beautiful views. It's true that the birds/bugs/monkeys wake you up at 5:45 am and there's not much to do after 8 pm but if you want to get back to nature, unplug from civilization, and just relax there's no place better. There were a few giant scary bugs in our room but we dealt with it! Our favorite activities included renting bikes in Puerto Viejo and biking to Punta Uva and the Water Fall hike with Fernando.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Absolutely amazing!!! Everyone needs to take a break of life, electronics, daily routine, work, co-workers, your boss, your car and the traffic, everything! Have kids? Bring them! Samasati welcomes all ages and offers so many adventures, yoga, delicious food and the amazing sound of nature, rain forest and warm personalities of the staff. Love this Place!! If you are too much of a city person, I do not reccomend it, if mosquitos bother you I suggest you think about it first, however if you are willing to carry your mosquito repellent with you and smile at nature, visit this place, pure magic!

Room Tip: We stayed at one of the houses, a whole house just for two. Go for it, it is worth every penny!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Viajem0s
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This place was pure magic. The perfect retreat from civilization and all that comes with a busy life. The staff was friendly, helpful and informative. The plentiful vegetarian meals were AMAZING. The yoga classes will have you blissed out beyond words. I actually cried tears of joy at one point, the experience was so beautiful. The yoga space is also worth note--a round separate structure, tucked into the woods, where all you can hear is the din of happy wildlife who's home you are sharing. Max, our gifted Italian instructor, has friends for life in our group of 7 friends who unanimously considered this our best trip ever!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cantwait4nexttrip
Michigan
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed with Samasati Nature Resort last year. Flew into San Jose on Easter Day, and was transported to Samasati safely, securely and without interruption the very next morning.

I entered true paradise...then led to my bungalow, and REALLY entered into another paradise...

I had my own "house", IN the jungle...

Very clean, very, very well maintained and ....in my humble opinion ;)....the BEST place in Costa Rica.

I will not even look anywhere else.

I will go back as soon as I can.

This place is magical, mystical, and remember....it's a JUNGLE out there, but at Samasati...you are safe.

God Bless!

Room Tip: I stayed in a the single bed bungalow. It was HUGE inside, great bathroom with HOT shower! But....t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo