“Amazing week of yoga, hiking, and relaxation.”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Severna Park, Maryland
“Amazing week of yoga, hiking, and relaxation.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you want to unplug, recharge, and feel alive you should check this place out. I spent a week at Samasati in April and it was one of my top vacations ever. I traveled alone, but quickly met wonderful guests and staff at Samasati so I was never alone if I didn't want to be, The bungalows are simply decorated, clean, and well maintained. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed one or two yoga classes a day with Max. The jungle begins to wake up early each morning, so I was ready for the morning yoga clas each day before breakfast. The evening class (it gets dark by 7 PM) is relaxing and grounding. Each day I went on different adventures; hiking, surf lessons, trip to a cacao farm. There were also organized trips to zip lining and other destinations if you wanted to go. It is a short ride to Puerto Viejo if you want a little change of scenery, but I was happy to spend my eveings at Samasati. The food is excellent (all vegetarian). There is beer and wine available if you want it. This is truly a place to unplug. Please keep in mind that if you are looking for an air conditioned, wifi, cable tv, fancy hotel experience - this is not the place you should choose. But if you can co-exist with some bugs, are ok sleeping under a mosquito net, are ready to go without wifi, want to wake up early to the sounds of the jungle, read a book at night to fall asleep, and just want to expereince what Samasati has to offer - you shoudl go!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank beachgirlri2014
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear everything went smooth and you could enjoy what Samasati has to offer. I hope you will be back soon!
Warm regards,
Silvia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Slovakia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I just spent a week at Samasati and had the best relax ever! I loved the nature around, being able to wake up to the sounds of the jungle, observe hummingbirds and butterflies from jacuzzi, toucans flying around when having breakfast, red frogs after the rain or even agouti every morning when I walked out from my bungalow. The view from the jacuzzi is simply awesome - you can see the whole Puerto Viejo and beaches on the horizon and you might even get lucky to see a nice sunrise over there. There's also a natural swimming pool and waterfall close by if you go on a hike and a few other hiking trails available right at the property. I was also very happy about the vegetarian food as they are very accommodating, even if you are vegan/raw vegan. To see raw vegan zucchini pesto pasta I prepare at home too, made me super happy! Yoga classes - done by both Stephanie and Max - were amazing, too. The yoga studios are set in the jungle and you can hear monkeys, parrots and aras playing around outside when practicing yoga. I was able to recharge my batteries, read, relax and get healthy. Also, the spa is a great way to spend your time, Jasmine, the spa therapist, is such a sweetie. Get a chocolate facial for sure :) Just remember, there is no wifi right at the bungalows and no air-con, which is fine so you can enjoy the real jungle and relax.

Room Tip: I stayed at bungalow 4 and could not complain. I've heard there's a sloth and agoutis hangin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Crazysexyfuntraveler
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have never been to any kind of a retreat before, but I decided to try something new and I booked the yoga retreat hoping it would be a nice relaxing, personal healing time! It turned out to be just that and more! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful! The food was amazing!! I wasn't sure what to except with an all vegetarian menu, but I was happily surprised every meal with discovering some new exciting and exotic favorite! Especially the soups!! .. My cabin was very clean and spacious with a hot a shower included!!! The yoga also was an amazing experience. It was always something fresh and new and definitely inspiring! My teacher Max is a true guru!! Overall I would have to say this retreat experience has been worth everything! I wish I was still there in fact!! I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone!! Go see it for your self!! It's absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Amandq81
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 28 April 2014

From the moment we arrived in Costa Rica, our trip was enhanced by the people of Samasati. We were picked up at the airport by a driver they helped arrange. We arrived at Samasati, and found the setting to be amazing. You are truly in the jungle, and we regularly saw monkeys and toucans and hummingbirds and magical, bright butterflies, too -- all at Samasati. The food, the yoga, the massage, and the people were all incredible. This trip was "out of my comfort zone" because I'm not a fan of bugs and critters and other such things, but I never once felt unsafe or even uncomfortable. We went on several excursions and loved them all. Punta Uva beach, horseback riding on the beach, surfing lessons, Cahuita National Park, smoothies in Puerto Viejo -- all A++ activities. We are excited about returning, and are already wondering when we can next do that. It's true there isn't TV or emailing in your bungalow, but that was a wonderful part of the experience. Relaxing in a hammock & listening to the sounds of the jungle, going to bed early and waking to howler monkeys -- that is the reality, beauty, and one of the many gifts that Samasati provides. Finally, the other guests were a terrific addition to our experience. We participated on a couple of excursions with other guests, we regularly ate meals with other guests, and we will likely remain in touch with some as well. Staying at Samasati was, overall, an incredible experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine R
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I'll be honest. I had read some bad reviews about this place and was thinking twice about having purchased the Groupon for 5 nights for my wife and I, thinking we would run out of things to do, it would be too humid/hot/rainy, there would be scorpions in our room, unfriendly staff, the whole transportation to town, etc. I was wrong on all accounts. Dont believe the reviews from complainers who probably should have skipped costa rica altogether.

Plenty on great local outings which Samasati makes readily available and easy to sign up. If you want to go surfing the first day, the jaguar rescue the next day, and chocolate tasting the 3rd its all there. We loved all 3, hung out at the beach and hiked every day in the jungle. Never was a dull moment. We also relaxed every night with a book, incredible massage or the sounds of the jungle.

Shuttle to town was easy and free. People complain of having to come back at 3 pm. 90% of the time we were done w our outing and ready to come back. If not we just took a taxi back, super cheap (10 bucks), end of story.

All the staff we met at Samasati were amazing. Cecelia, Judy, Jasmine (best massage we've had in a while) Frederico and all others made our stay very enjoyable. Judy even brought my wife ginger tea to our bungalow when she didnt show up to dinner due to upset stomach. Above and beyond. Thank you.

Bungalows were very nice. Comfortable bed, hammock, oversized towels, deck with incredible views.

Yes we did have little critters running around outside our bungalow. Awesome red frogs and squirrels. We had a small gecko in our room from time to time we named Blue. There were ants and butterflies and mosquitos and scorpions (which we did not see) and howler monkeys who howl in the morning and the most amazing toucans at Samasati. And rain. It is a RAIN FOREST after all and if the idea of waking up in nature for a week weirds you out a little then you better skip Samasati and find a commercial resort on the beach.

However, if the idea of doing yoga in a beautiful natural setting surrounded by amazing wildlife, while you eat amazing food (and i am not vegetarian) where their is no TV or phone distractions, where you can go to heal yourself from the world, then Samasati may be just your ticket.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jcc3839
Alameda, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay here and while at the resort I though the itching my boyfriend and I had was just mosquitoes and sunburns- well 2+months, 2 doctors visits, 4 rounds of scabicides, several hundred dollars and itchy sleepless nights later I'm struggling to day dream about my adventures in the tropical rainforest. After we discovered we had scabies- I called the resort and request that they take action to remedy the problem and prevent other travelers from contracting scabies- no one has called me back in regards to this. The food was great, staff were nice, views were priceless, everything was planned out for us- don't go here unless they have remedied the scabies and you might want to bring your might want to bring your own linens and a plastic mattress cover. The resort was very quiet and relaxing until the last day when a huge group of yelling kids and a yelling cursing man arrived- who brings toddlers to the jungle and who goes to the rainforest to yell at people on their cell phone? PS this review was written after the resort contacted my boyfriend and requested that he write a tripadvisor review- so here ya go.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MOeCA1
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hello,
I am sorry to hear that you have had such problems upon your return to the States.
We never had such a thing reported or observed at Samasati. We have just in January renewed all our mattresses and linen for all the accommodation and we have a crew of three women cleaning rooms every day. The Health department of Costa Rica inspects the facilities every 6 months. Needless to say that is our pride and priority at Samasati to offer a clean and safe environment in the forest. It is sad to be accused of such a problem and there is no much more we can say in response to this.
Chicago
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I originally found Samasati two years ago via Groupon and went for 5 days of yoga/relaxation with my sister. We had a phenomenal time and I was excited to return with my daughter this time. Samasati is as beautiful and remote as I remember, the vegetarian food is delicious, the staff, especially Cecilia are friendly and helpful and Stephanie, the yoga teacher is wonderful! I've stayed in Bungalow 7 and 5, both have beautiful views. It's true that the birds/bugs/monkeys wake you up at 5:45 am and there's not much to do after 8 pm but if you want to get back to nature, unplug from civilization, and just relax there's no place better. There were a few giant scary bugs in our room but we dealt with it! Our favorite activities included renting bikes in Puerto Viejo and biking to Punta Uva and the Water Fall hike with Fernando.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family