“Our home away from home”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
“Our home away from home”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My sister and I have been hosting yoga retreats together for the last 6 years... the last 3 of which we brought our group to Samsati. Samasati is like our home away from home. Every year we meet the same familiar faces from the year prior, so it feels family esque:) It is in the jungle, though still feels like the HIlton Hotel.... only much better!!!! The vegetarian food is amazing and the women who cook really pour their hearts and love into every delicious preparation. The Yoga domes are absolutely perfect, the rooms are so comfortable, again the food is AMAZING and the staff feel like family. I would highly recommend anyone come to Samasati for a comfortable experience in the jungles.
ps. I loved hearing the sounds of the jungle as I fell asleep every night:)

with love,
Syama
StantonStreetYoga.com
BhaktiCenter.org

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mulaka M
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your review! It is wonderful having you with us. We look forward to the next time.
Love,
Silvia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The staff at samasiti responded immediately when I placed a call two days before the retreat started! They made arrangements for transfer from San Jose. When I arrived at the reception desk I was greeted by Stephanie, the retreat director and yoga instructor. I have practiced yoga for over 10 years, have been to other retreats in costa rica, and I can say Stephanie is by far one of the best and versatile yoga instructors I have practiced with. We practiced twice a day for a week and never had the same practice. Mine was a solo retreat. She quickly accessed our groups ability and planned out her week. Exceptional! Stephanie also arranged our activities, massages and shared meals with us!

The cabins were comfortable, cleaned daily with a hammock on the porch for relaxing. The food was exceptional and the kitchen staff very accommodating to personal requests.

The staff was cheerful, attentive, and I would go again!

Purr Vida

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Cyndhi S
Thank you for the review! I am so glad you enjoyed your week at Samasati and that you enjoyed Stephanie, her classes and her wisdom! I look forward to have you back
Seaside, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We enjoyed everything about Samasati. Neither of us are vegetarians or yoga practitioners, but we both enjoy trying new things. The yoga kicked our butts - but we needed it. The food was awesome, didn't miss the meat. But if you do have a hankering for meat, you can eat in the restaurants in town and get your fix. Samasati makes a coconut flan that was the best I've ever had. I had an upset stomach one night and the cook made me a pitcher of ginger tea and some plain rice. Fixed me right up. The cabanas were spacious and the bed was comfortable. You are in the jungle and will get the occasional bug in your room - but remember you are in their world. No television or internet connection. We took a tour to the chocolate plantation and to the wildlife rescue. Both are worth the visit. We planned to go snorkeling and zip lining, but never made it. Instead enjoyed our hammock time and Estella the orange and white cat.

Room Tip: From what I saw - there are no bad rooms. We were in cabaña #2 and had a great view of the ocean an...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PepperSeaside_CA
Danville, California
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I spent a week at Samasati and had the most AHH-mazing experience! The resort is located in the middle of a lush rain forest with breath taking views and incredibly diverse wildlife. Where else in the world will you be able to HEAR the sunrise and sunset (thanks to the howler monkeys!)?

The most beautiful beaches are only a few minutes drive away, so you can get the best of both worlds - a rain forest and beaches! Plus, the resort offers many excursion and activity options.

This was my first solo trip and I never felt alone. Everyone was incredibly open, friendly and welcoming. I shared meals with the owners, staff, the resident yoga instructor, and fellow travels.

The whole space felt serene and sacred, so it's really easy to let go of everything and just relax. This trip was a truly magical experience ... thanks to Samasati!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alla Z
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Feel at home in the Rain Forest! Samasati Resort and the amazing staff made my experience in Costa Rica one I'll never forget. I will definitely be back to visit; I'm even considering buying a lot a building a home inside this tropical retreat. Compared to cost of living in the United States, prices are better than reasonable. I've never had an experience like this in my life...

• Stayed February 2014
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for the review! I am glad you had a good experience during your visit and we are all thrilled to have you be part of the Gated Community!
I look forward to stay in touch and having you back.

Severna Park, Maryland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you want to unplug, recharge, and feel alive you should check this place out. I spent a week at Samasati in April and it was one of my top vacations ever. I traveled alone, but quickly met wonderful guests and staff at Samasati so I was never alone if I didn't want to be, The bungalows are simply decorated, clean, and well maintained. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed one or two yoga classes a day with Max. The jungle begins to wake up early each morning, so I was ready for the morning yoga clas each day before breakfast. The evening class (it gets dark by 7 PM) is relaxing and grounding. Each day I went on different adventures; hiking, surf lessons, trip to a cacao farm. There were also organized trips to zip lining and other destinations if you wanted to go. It is a short ride to Puerto Viejo if you want a little change of scenery, but I was happy to spend my eveings at Samasati. The food is excellent (all vegetarian). There is beer and wine available if you want it. This is truly a place to unplug. Please keep in mind that if you are looking for an air conditioned, wifi, cable tv, fancy hotel experience - this is not the place you should choose. But if you can co-exist with some bugs, are ok sleeping under a mosquito net, are ready to go without wifi, want to wake up early to the sounds of the jungle, read a book at night to fall asleep, and just want to expereince what Samasati has to offer - you shoudl go!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank beachgirlri2014
Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear everything went smooth and you could enjoy what Samasati has to offer. I hope you will be back soon!
Slovakia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I just spent a week at Samasati and had the best relax ever! I loved the nature around, being able to wake up to the sounds of the jungle, observe hummingbirds and butterflies from jacuzzi, toucans flying around when having breakfast, red frogs after the rain or even agouti every morning when I walked out from my bungalow. The view from the jacuzzi is simply awesome - you can see the whole Puerto Viejo and beaches on the horizon and you might even get lucky to see a nice sunrise over there. There's also a natural swimming pool and waterfall close by if you go on a hike and a few other hiking trails available right at the property. I was also very happy about the vegetarian food as they are very accommodating, even if you are vegan/raw vegan. To see raw vegan zucchini pesto pasta I prepare at home too, made me super happy! Yoga classes - done by both Stephanie and Max - were amazing, too. The yoga studios are set in the jungle and you can hear monkeys, parrots and aras playing around outside when practicing yoga. I was able to recharge my batteries, read, relax and get healthy. Also, the spa is a great way to spend your time, Jasmine, the spa therapist, is such a sweetie. Get a chocolate facial for sure :) Just remember, there is no wifi right at the bungalows and no air-con, which is fine so you can enjoy the real jungle and relax.

Room Tip: I stayed at bungalow 4 and could not complain. I've heard there's a sloth and agoutis hangin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo