“I have stayed here 5 separate times”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Eden Prairie, Minnesota, United States
“I have stayed here 5 separate times”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am a yoga teacher and the first time stayed i 2006 with a large group of students. We had a blast and were very well taken care of. I have returned 4 more times, 3 with groups and once with just my husband and I. It feels like home, except for they have way better food, view, lodgings and the people who take care of the place really care.

Room Tip: stay in a double bungalow, whether you are traveling alone or with a partner, it's a luxury wort...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Where do we start !!!
It was a unforgettable vacation. We rented a 4x4 vehicle in San Jose.. It was necessary to have a 4x4 to get in and out of this resort although no vehicle is necessary as they have a free daily shuttle to the town The yoga classes were incredible. Classes were at 6.30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m so it gave you enough time to explore or relax on the most beautiful beaches. Stephanie the resident yoga teacher has 36 years experience. If you are going to Samasati with another yoga group be sure to take in at least one of her classes. It will be money well spent. We attended six classes from Sunday to the Thursday. She tapped into our souls and helped open the gates to release buried grief and stress. I am a 53 year old widower who was widowed in 2009. I hadn't slowed down enough to give myself time to heal. I recently met Karen who has introduced me to yoga. I joined a yoga studio on my own and have been to ten classes. The last night we had yoga, Stephanie had a class that was the best I have ever been involved in. It was absolutely amazing. It helped me in so many ways, released some pain, opened up my heart and brought me inner peace that I had not felt in many many years. Stephanie made us want to continue with our healing and her classes have enriched our yoga practices. She is a healer with a beautiful soul and comes from a place of love. She gave us a gift that has really changed our lives and we are so thankful for her. Thank You Stephanie.
Scott the manager is truly a wonderful man. He is very helpful and made us feel very comfortable. Gave us helpful advice on travelling off resort with shopping and excursions.
Definitely ask him to show you the giant tree.
The food was healthy and delicious. It is evident the food is prepared fresh everyday and with a lot of love. The kitchen staff were incredible.
Samasati was definitely the best vacation of our lives and we consider ourselves seasoned travellers. A definite destination for your bucket list.!!!! We truly did not want to leave and will definitely be back.
As with any tropical vacation destination you want to take precautions with your valuables. Make sure everything is locked in your cabin safe because there is no way of locking your cabana securely. As this was a gated resort we had no issue.
Just when we thought the vacation couldn't get any better a magical blue butterfly led us down the mountain as we were leaving Samasati symbolizing new beginnings. Jim and Karen
• Stayed May 2014

3 Thank Jim D
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

They have done a great job of blending nature, beauty, and eco friendly into one place! We loved it!! My husband and I went here to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and it was everything they said it would be....romantic, peaceful and relaxing! Higly recommend it

2 Thank 895Susan
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My mom and I had the pleasure of staying at Samasati in March of this year. Arriving to samasati we were both extremely exhausted from life and travel. We walked into the home we were staying in and it was beautifully decorated with flowers from the grounds and the towels were folded like swans. I love little things like this. Sleeping peacefully to the sounds of the rainforest, I awoke the next morning to a breathtaking view of nature. As I sipped on my coffee, I watched the toucans and parrots fly back and forth. Listened to the monkeys greeting us. We saw lots of hummingbirds and beautiful butterflies even blue butterflies which I had always dreamed of. The staff greeted us everyday with a smile and helped us figure out our surroundings. By the end of the week, the staff felt like family. We only stayed for a week and it felt like way too short of a visit. I felt like a completely different person upon leaving. I was happy to reconnect with myself and nature. I think my most favorite part of Samasati was the massage I had with Jasmine. Had I received a massage in the beginning of the week, I would have scheduled more time with her. I have done massage therapy for 10 plus years and she was one of the best. Needless to say, I absolutely dream about returning to Samasati and spend more time reconnecting with myself and nature. I am very grateful for Samasati, the cheerful staff, and the absolute beauty. See you soon!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenn A
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your review! I am very glad you have had a good vacation and that you could enjoy Samasati and its magic! We look forward for you to come back soon!
Warm regards, Silvia
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2014

For anyone who loves nature & all that it brings, I recommend Samasati. It's the perfect spot for a yoga or meditation retreat, or a bird-watching expedition. First of all, I would highly recommend making shuttle bus arrangements, in advance, between San Jose & Samasati, which are 4 hours apart. Also, be sure to allow 2 hours between arrival at the airport & your flight departure time. Choose a month that is cooler, because Samasati is located 6 degrees north of the equator, & can be extremely hot during most of the year. In addition, there is no a/c in the rooms. Because of the hours of rain at night, you can sleep comfortably without a/c, but the days are very hot in the late spring & all summer. The food is vegetarian, but is prepared beautifully in a buffet style presentation. Be sure to visit Puerto Viejo, 6 miles down the mountain, where you can find Playa Negra, a black sand beach formed by volcanic lava, as well as other beaches, shops, & restaurants. The Jaguar Sanctuary, where a variety of rescued animals can be found, including 2-toed sloths, is just outside Puerto Viejo. To see more sloths, visit the Sloth Sanctuary, which is a little further away. Shuttles & taxis are available from Samasati to each of these destinations. Enjoy a truly unique destination.

Room Tip: Choose a suite that faces the Caribbean, with a great view of the jungle.
4 Thank funnymonkey1
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My sister and I have been hosting yoga retreats together for the last 6 years... the last 3 of which we brought our group to Samsati. Samasati is like our home away from home. Every year we meet the same familiar faces from the year prior, so it feels family esque:) It is in the jungle, though still feels like the HIlton Hotel.... only much better!!!! The vegetarian food is amazing and the women who cook really pour their hearts and love into every delicious preparation. The Yoga domes are absolutely perfect, the rooms are so comfortable, again the food is AMAZING and the staff feel like family. I would highly recommend anyone come to Samasati for a comfortable experience in the jungles.
ps. I loved hearing the sounds of the jungle as I fell asleep every night:)

with love,
Syama
StantonStreetYoga.com
BhaktiCenter.org

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mulaka M
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your review! It is wonderful having you with us. We look forward to the next time.
Love,
Silvia
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The staff at samasiti responded immediately when I placed a call two days before the retreat started! They made arrangements for transfer from San Jose. When I arrived at the reception desk I was greeted by Stephanie, the retreat director and yoga instructor. I have practiced yoga for over 10 years, have been to other retreats in costa rica, and I can say Stephanie is by far one of the best and versatile yoga instructors I have practiced with. We practiced twice a day for a week and never had the same practice. Mine was a solo retreat. She quickly accessed our groups ability and planned out her week. Exceptional! Stephanie also arranged our activities, massages and shared meals with us!

The cabins were comfortable, cleaned daily with a hammock on the porch for relaxing. The food was exceptional and the kitchen staff very accommodating to personal requests.

The staff was cheerful, attentive, and I would go again!

Purr Vida

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Cyndhi S
Thank you for the review! I am so glad you enjoyed your week at Samasati and that you enjoyed Stephanie, her classes and her wisdom! I look forward to have you back
Warm regards,