Well ,we ignored all the poor reviews of this place because we thought those people were complainers. Found out the hard way we agree with several complaints. The price seemed steep but after we got there I was floored that they had the nerve to charge $230.00 usd a night for what we had. They do say it is a retreat so the lack of ammenities in the rooms was not a suprise and was outlined on the website. But there wasn't even a clock in the room so how do you meet any schedualed tours? I brought a travel alarm clock so that problem solved myself.
We scheduled a morning bird watching tour and had to meet a car at 5:15 a.m. for the kilometer long driveway trip downhill to the main road. Well ...the car never showed and the tour never happened.Later that morning when inquiring about the no show we were told that the driver had slept in. Nothing more was done or said and it was left at that.
The staff don't really seem to care and it is too painfully obvious they are not formally trained in the hospitality industry.It is a rainforest but the lack of warning from staff and the room booklet do not prepare the people who are not in the know. There are red poison dart frogs all over the property and not one warning about not to touch them! We had to be mindfull about other things after we found a scorpion on the bathroom floor. That would have been a painfull nightime find for a bare foot in the dark.
That much money and the food was buffet ,how many people have memorable buffet meals? The owners of this place have to be making a killing for what they charge and what they provide.
Never again would I even imagine staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Perched on a magical mountain ridge overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Samasati offers guest house bungalow and casita accommodations just minutes away from the beaches of Puerto Viejo. For over 20 years we have hosted world class retreats, workshops, guest artists and travelers like you! Your stay includes delicious gourmet vegetarian buffet served in our renovated open air restaurant with breathtaking views. Also available on site are healing massage treatments, jacuzzi spa, nature trails, waterfall with natural pool, daily yoga classes and a meditation hall. Tours, excursions and beach shuttles to local attractions are arranged daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samasati Nature Retreat Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Costa Rica/Limon