“Great”

Villas del Caribe
San Diego
“Great”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Great location on a generally private beach. Great pool with elevated jacuzzi - not heated. Very scenic beach for tanning or strolling. Not great for jogging or boogie boarding, body surfing. Not really possible to get out past the reef.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Paris, France
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The location is perfect because it is right off the beach and at the same time slightly away from all the shops and the hustle and bustle of all the tourists of downtown Puerto Viejo if you're not into that. The rooms are spacious with a super large queen-size bed and a balcony with a hammock overlooking the Caribbean Sea, even though the trees hide somewhat the view. Nice garden also with pool and spa, you can even see some sloths, toucans and monkeys, even though some parts looked abandoned and dilapidated.
Beware of the stairs leading to the upper level of the building as they have no rails so it can be dangerous for kids, for adults also ;)
Lots of mosquitos at night, bring some repellent and put on long-sleeve dresses!
The main downside of this hotel was the noise, indeed, the walls are thin and openwork so you can hear the neighbours and the traffic from the road nearby between the hotel and the forest that runs alongside the coastline until Manzanillo, the waves of the sea and the rain falling on the roof, so in case of rain and wind, all this comes at the same time and it can be a problem, there has been a few days of bad weather and rough sea during my stay at Puerto Viejo and as a result it was the place where I slept the worst during all my stay in Costa Rica.
Also, the breakfast is rather poor, if you arrive late (even within the opening hours) the tea/coffee are lukewarm and there are hardly any toasts left.
Lastly, there was an issue with the cleaning maids, indeed, they are supposed to clean the rooms between 10am and 3 pm, so I made the necessary arrangements to vacate the room during that time frame, however, one day I came back at 3pm and was surprised to see that the room had not been cleaned up, never mind, I decided to have a nap, but at 3:30 pm the cleaning maid knocked heavily at my door and woke me up to clean the room! This is not cool, if you say in your guide book that the cleaning is made between 10am and 3pm, well, at least better off not to come at all than come late and wake me up!!
Anyway I really loved this area, you cannot be more beachfront and the beach called Playa Chiquita is beautiful, wild, unspoilt and almost for you alone, very different from the touristy Pacific coast...would definitely come back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Eric B
Tipp City, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Caribbean side of Costa Rica seems to be more rustic and a little less modern than the Pacific side. That said, this was a nice, clean, very comfortable, and uncrowded place to stay. It appears to be a bit older but well taken care of. We had a nice porch. It only had one lounge chair so I asked for a second one and they brought it in less than 2 minutes (excellent service). The room had A/C, a refrigerator (stocked) and a small eating table. There is lots of vegetation around and a short walk on the nice paths directly from your room to the beach. The rooms are close enough to hear the surf. The beach has significant amounts of lava rock surrounded by sand. A big surprise was the pool. It is very, very nice and a great place to swim and lounge around.
Although they have WiFi, it is only available in an area outside the office. There are chairs and tables so you can be comfortable while using the WiFi.
This hotel is on Rt 256, 5km E of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. Google maps seems to be correct now, but the location was wrong and they sent me 12 km down a gravel banana plantation road. It is about a 5 hr. drive from San Jose on mostly 2-3 lane road over a mountain with lots of trucks. You go through Limon.
Security appears to patrol area all night. The monkees make a good alarm clock early in the morning.

Room Tip: You can walk to beach directly from first floor room patios. Second floor patios have no stairs to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
VillasdelCaribe, Gerente at Villas del Caribe, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at VIllas del Caribe; was a real pleasure to welcome you as our guest.

Indeed some areas of our hotel are old buildings; such as an old, authentic and traditional caribbean style beach house which is the site of our Seaside restaurante.
We hope you enjoyed our "Gallo pinto"...

We deeply appreciate the time you took for leaving your comments.
Warm regards from Villas del Caribe.!
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Villas del Caribe has a wonderful location; straight at the beach and you can choose to straight dip in the blue for some snorkeling at the reef, walk 5 minutes to the beach break for surfing or stroll in the different direction for some calm swimming waters.... just beautiful!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Liesbet N
Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Lets say first this hotel is in the Caribbean and that mind since obvious for you and me but some ppl don't take that seriously. Being in the Caribbean is hard this is not the kind of weather you can control but in a beautiful way. You will see some ants walking in the kitchen if you let something out and the mosquitos will get you if you are outside (nothing that a good off! can take care off). The rooms were good, clean the bed not so much in our case we got a King that was actually two small beds together that is just not cool but that is the only thing I did not like that much.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alejandra Q
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Having already been to the Pacific side, I'd wanted to explore the eastern coast of Costa Rica, so we stayed at Villas del Caribe on the advice of a friend of a friend. I'm going to try to write a fair review here, because I can see how this place would be great for some people--but it definitely isn't for everyone, and I'd like to point out its pros and cons so future travelers can make an informed decision.

I was traveling with my husband and my parents, so we asked if they could put a king-sized bed in both rooms (normally there's one master and one room with two twins for kids). They said sure, but all they did was push the two twins together. Due to the bedposts, the beds didn't even align, so the head of one was offset by about 8" from the head of the other. This was obviously not an ideal sleeping situation for an adult couple, but we made it work and did not raise a complaint. I just wish they would've better communicated to us what we should expect.

The hotel website advertises that there's a half-bath upstairs in the villa and a full bath downstairs; however, the full bath downstairs was the ONLY bathroom in our unit. This was an outright lie on the part of the hotel's website, and we wouldn't have stayed there had we known there was only one toilet for four people. I don't know if any of the villas do have a half-bath upstairs, but the one we were in definitely didn't. Still, there were several other bathrooms on-site (near the lobby and the pool) so we managed okay.

We knew going into it that this place was going to be "natural" and "rustic." I was totally on board with there being no air-conditioning, but I DID expect there to be screens so we could keep the upstairs balcony doors open and get a nice open breeze at night. But nope! No screens. And being a nature-loving green resort, they do nothing to mitigate insects and other creepy-crawlies on their property; they want us all to live in harmony. Again, I could've been happy with that, except why aren't there screens in the doors?!

Finally, our villa was not really clean. The maids did come every day, replacing towels and toiletries if we requested it, cleaning the countertops and sweeping the floor, but I get the feeling they're really just going through the motions. Anything higher than eye level had years' worth of dust and cobwebs on it. My guess is that our unit had been unoccupied for some time, so all the spiders and cockroaches got complacent and made themselves comfortable in that villa. The first night was the worst by far; afterward, the creepy-crawlies mostly relocated. However, I killed at least one gigantic cockroach per day every day that I was there. I was pretty thoroughly skeeved out and slept with one eye open the whole time I was there.

Dinner on-site was okay. The food was really salty and not exceptional, but it was fine. We only ate there once; there are plenty of other fine restaurants nearby. (I REALLY recommend Malbec.)

Breakfast was actually pretty good: the standard Tico breakfast of gallo pinto, eggs, fruit, coffee, and pancakes (I'm not sure if pancakes are standard, but you get the idea). This was a nice, filling meal, not like the pastries and fruits continental stuff that leaves you starving hours before lunch. In fact, we were able to have a good breakfast at the hotel, skip lunch, and go out and have fun all day.

There was no wifi in our room, but wifi in the lobby was reliable and mostly worked in the breakfast area too. This arrangement was okay for us but wouldn't work for everyone, I'm sure.

Now, the good stuff: the beach on the premises was delightful. There was a rocky/coraly part straight out from the rooms with some interesting tide pools and whatnot, and then to the left, a spacious sandy beach that was excellent for walking on or swimming in. A decent walking path parallel to the ocean lets you walk to whichever part you want to visit. Just watch out for large anthills and enormous spiderwebs belonging to enormous spiders. (Those are mostly off the path, so if you just stick to the trail and watch where you're going, there's no problem.)

Villas del Caribe is also convenient to lots of great eating establishments and other activities. We didn't get to do the chocolate tour, but that's an option. I really recommend the Jaguar Rescue Center for another activity--they're located right across the street. There are a lot of other beaches nearby suitable for swimming or snorkeling--we tried Punta Uva, and though we didn't see anything terribly interesting there was some nice coral and the usual assortment of fishies.

Also onsite is a really nice pool and an okay spa. (The spa isn't heated, and you have to ask them at the front desk to turn on the bubbles.) The area around the pool is partly sunny and partly shady, so it's a nice place to sit and relax. It's not an Olympic lap pool, but it's really nice for floating or splashing around if you don't feel like going in the ocean for whatever reason.

My understanding is that the Caribbean side of Costa Rica is less developed and maybe more "granola" than the Pacific side, and this fits with my experience at Villas del Caribe. Personally, I'm a little too comfort-oriented to want to come back to this place, but if you really like a natural setting at a great price, this might be the place for you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Teresa R
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed here with friends and it's in a very good location. One of the problems we incountered the restaurant wasn't open in the evening, so we had to go to town to eat. The rooms were nice, beds where very comfortable and the sound of the Caribe was soothing. We also seen toucans behind our rooms and sloths in the trees.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Villas del Caribe? Share your experiences!