“Bungalow Heaven”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
San Francisco, California
“Bungalow Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

La Costa offers bungalows for couples or families--each one more unique than the other built with local hardwoods and handcrafted with inlaid tiles and beautiful woodwork. The location is a short bit from town--in itself a great destination--and lies directly across from a beautiful white sand beach. Staff help you rent bikes, surfboards and snorkeling gear or set you up with tours of the jungle canopy or nearby national parks. We did all of these things, but best of all was just lying in the hammock listening to the parrots and monkeys and other native residents--amazing sounds. We had a sloth come down a tree near our porch one morning as we were having our coffee. What an experience! Did a massage that same morning at the spa, and after a day at the beach, had dinner at La Costa's restaurant. The coconut shrimp was out of this world. In all, a great stay in a magical place I look forward to returning to soon.

Room Tip: Staff are very accommodating. Just tell them your preferences or needs and they will help.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

What a gorgeous place to stay!
La Costa de Papito was such a great suprise for us.

The bungalows themselves are fantastic- very unique and very cute. It was so amazing to wake up in a log bungalow to the sounds of the jungle. The only negative is that there were cracks in the walls that allowed mosquitos in at night. Although there is a moquito net, be sure to wear bug spray to bed.

The staff are all really friendly, helping us sort out trips and shuttles.

Bear in mind that if you don't have a car it is around 1.7km walk into town, which was a positive and negative at the same time.

We also used the beauty salon to get massages. Honestly, that was the only part that let it down. The massages were way too expensive for the quality delivered, I got the impression the girl giving my massage was self taught.

Other than that, the place is great, definitely a different sort of experience, we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dtrain2011
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our family of five stayed at this bungalow getaway for 6 nights and had the most amazing time! When we first arrived we were greeted with a special frozen drink and were led to our 2 bedroom bungalow deep in the forest. We had hummingbirds everywhere to greet us, along with a friendly sloth up in the tree above us. There were large iguanas in the trees as well as several toucans. I have 3 boys ages 19, 16 and 11 and they had an amazing time hanging out in the hammock on the porch or playing pool at the restaurant area. The beach was right across the street and the town only 25 minute walk. The staff were amazing and would go out of their way to help. We couldn't go snorkeling due to the weather but we were able to exchange it for a 4 hour hike thru a national park. It was an incredible experience. I have been in many different countries throughout my career and can say that this Costa Rica trip was one of my favorite. The breakfast and other meals at the restaurant were great and the facilities are superb when compared to others in the area. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to visit the area to experience the laid back life without the hassles of the modern world.

Room Tip: The rainy season is the time to go, we only had 2 days of rain and that was only a few hours. The p...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thanks so much for your kind words. What a pleasure it was to spend the week with this family! On some occasions we have guests who are a 'perfect fit' for the our hotel and the area and this was one of those times.
I was so happy that the wildlife was active while they were here. We had recommended the Jaguar Rescue Center and, even though there is no jaguar!!, they enjoyed, as I do, being inside with the baby monkeys! I believe one of the monkeys is still pining for Brandon, their eldest son.
The kids were great and we saw alot of them as they were sharpening their pool playing skills while here. I suspected one of the boys might be a pool shark and recommended he watch Paul Newman in 'The Hustler'!
Once again, we thank you and hope you will be able to return and spend some more time with us here.

Best,.
Kitty
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Just got back from a 10 day vacation in Costa Rica. 6 of those days were spent at La Costa de Papito in Puerto Viejo. This was my 3rd and best visit. Did more exploring this time - both ocean and jungle (great tips from hotel staff). My list of Creatures I Have Seen is now much longer. Most evenings I visited the bar/restaurant - food and overall vibe is excellent. Everyone I met had high praise as well.
I feel like a younger man..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

After being trapped in a different hotel in PV. This hotel reached out and offered the best rates they could to me and my family. They were warm and the grounds are truly beautiful. The staff was exceptional at assisting me with any questions I had.

• Stayed June 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

I went with my husband on a romantic trip and could have never been so lucky to find this jem in the exotic Costa Rican caribbean !! The bungalows are perfectly built inside the jungle only feet away from gorgeous Cocles beach, I was impressed with the exotic architecture resembling the Flinstones, and the privacy of each bungalow is key to its success!! I loved it in every way, would recommend it to anyone, couples, families, friends !!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ticanba
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

After a the bus ride from San Jose I arrived a little tired to puerto Viejo and took a cab to La Costa De Papito,
Upon arriving I was excited to see the beautiful landscaping
Gorgeous restaurant and super cute bungalows !
Food was great and it was just far enough outside of town to not be bothered by the party night life of puerto Viejo yet just a short
Cab ride for when I felt like a little night time fun!
Also it is right across the street from the beach which is great!
The food was excellent and the bartender made me the best mojito I have ever had !
The staff was helpful and I met Eddie the owner who was also always friendly and full of suggestions about things to do in the area!
Thing only thing that was a bummer was not getting to stay longer!
I am already saving money for my next trip and I will be bringing some friends with me to PAPITO !
Thanks so much for making my vacation way better than I thought it would be!

• Stayed April 2013
#6 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 13 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel La Costa de Papito? Share your experiences!