“Wonderful experience at La Costa de Papito!”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here for a whole week and our experience couldn't have been any better! The place is beautiful and the owners are the warmest, kindest people who went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful vacation. It is located right across from the beach, and an easy walk or bike ride to town. We can't wait to return here- I recommend La Costa de Papito to everyone.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My 19 year old daughter and I returned to La Costa de Papito in August for two weeks. It was our fourth visit to Costa Rica in two and a half years...you may correctly assume we LOVE this country. And, we love La Costa de Papito. We stayed here for the entire two weeks! The location is ideal...close enough to bike (or take a taxi at night) to PV for shopping, nightlife or dining. The bungalows are gorgeous, with such unique character-they are designed for relaxation. The porches, equipped with hammocks, cushioned Adirondack chairs, and built in picnic tables, lend themselves to just kicking back and listening to the sounds of the jungle. This trip, the Howler Monkeys were astoundingly loud, usually right at dawn. It is an incredible sound to wake up to. The foliage, butterflies, birds...even with lots of rain during our stay, we never felt cooped up or disappointed. I'd go over to the main building, get a steaming hot cup of delicious Costa Rican coffee, and relax on our porch. The beach is a short walk across the street. If you want to explore more secluded beaches, I strongly recommend renting bikes and riding to Punta Uva-it's just stunning. Back to La Costa de Papito-this trip, we were welcomed back so warmly by the long time staff-Kitty, Marva, Henry at the front desk; and a new employee, Coco, who was so sweet and helpful with any request. They really aim to please here. When my daughter had some stomach trouble, the kitchen made her a special request (American style grilled cheese sandwich). They are so caring and warm with their guests, you feel like part of a big wonderful family. And of course the wonderful bartender, Melvin. The on site restaurant is beautiful designed in the same stunning all-wood style as the bungalows are. The food has always been excellent, both at the expansive and generous inclusive breakfast, and at lunch and dinner. There is a new chef, an Italian (his name is escaping me right now) and the food was amazing. The best Pomodoro sauce I've ever had! This trip, in celebration of my daughter's birthday, we visited the spa, which is just beautiful. She enjoyed a relaxing mani/pedi while sipping coconut water out of a coconut. This place is truly heaven on earth and I feel confident recommending it to anyone considering visiting this part of Costa Rica.

1  Thank SharonB7
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I have to say this place is amazing!!! We loved every minute of our stay! Henry was so accommodating as we had to make a couple of changes ahead of our trip due to flight changes and such.

First the rooms. We stayed in the large bungalow. Everything was fabulous! The first night we were a little worried as we thought the singer might be disturbing as we were so close to the main bldg. But it wasn't loud at all and he didn't play late. We loved hearing the night noises from the trees. Never felt like we really needed the mosquito nets. There were a lot of ants but not many other bugs. And the bungalow was very clean!

The food. Breakfast was to die for! The made to order eggs, daily breakfast item, rice & beans and fresh fruit was a great way to start each day! We only ate lunch and dinner there once each. But both times it was good. My steak at dinner was as good as some I've had in fine restaurants in the States.

The experience. This was by far one of my most favorite vacations!! Take advantage of renting the bikes and riding to town. We did this every nite but the first. We never felt scared. But bring a flashlight of some type as its very dark along the road back later. We had them book two excursions (zip lining and snorkeling) which we loved!! They come pick you up there and bring you back! Just know that there is a minimum of 3 people by the tour company. My two friends went to the spa and both said it was the best massage they've ever had.

We had so much fun that we are already planning when we can come back!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Papito had a friendly, family atmosphere with a very short walk to an amazing beach. Great service and a nice breakfast spread, too. It is just minutes away from downtown Puerto Viejo by car or a 15 minute walk. Some of the beach rentals such as chairs and boogie boards need replaced, but otherwise the resort is clean and aesthetically pleasing. I would stay there again should I return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My boyfriend and I had an awesome three-night stay last week. The property is so lush and green and just a short walk from the beach. We had a great time exploring Puerto Viejo but loved laying out in the hammock every bit as much.
The staff — especially Coco, Henry and Kitty — were very friendly and helpful. They gave us good suggestions about what to do in the area and arranged our transportation to and from San Jose, along with a canopy tour and rafting trip. We also got great food and drinks from the restaurant and bar.
The location is a short cab ride (costs about $4) from the main stretch of Puerto Viejo or a 20-25 minute walk. Just make sure you grab a cab at night because the road is poorly lit and cars travel very fast!
We were sad to leave and would love to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

A awesome birthday for me and my friends was spent here. The service was top notch and the food awesome !! A must stop ace on the Caribe of Costa Rica and very safe !!!!!!!!!! So close to the surf I could here the ocean at night. Missed the live music by one night.I am sure that is a added plus to the ambiance. How ever the sound of toucans and tree frogs was a added nature touch. The staff were very clean and polite. Coffee was on at 6 a.m. Was great for me up coffee and gone surfing by 6.30 a.m. So close could walk to surf !!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was our second stop in Costa Rica. The beach here is fabulous and beautiful with huge waves! The hotel provides bicycles for rent so that you can take yourself to town or to any of the many beaches. We went on excursions hiking, snorkeling, the chocolate lady demonstration, the jaguar rescue center, and they were all amazing! The staff were so friendly and nice, there was one time our ride forgot to pick us up and the lady at the front desk called them for us without even asking and they were there to get us ten minutes later! The room was gorgeous and very clean, the water was warm (not really hot), they provided a fan which was much needed at night for my hubby, and the mosquito nets lend a romantic feel to the beds which I liked. We woke up hearing howler monkeys in the morning which was so cool. The food and drinks were delicious as well, especially our welcome drinks! They put some nice flowers on our bed and a free bottle of wine for our honeymoon, which was a nice touch that was much appreciated!

The only negatives were that our hammock was so huge and stretched out that it was really odd to use it and impossible to get out of and also that the spa is rather hit-or-miss. I wanted a pedicure after a long day of hiking and was told the "foot" lady was gone and ended up not answering her phone all day long! I returned hours later to check to see if she'd turned up (she hadn't) and decided to book a chocolate facial instead. They told me to wait 15 min, which I did, and then after that I was told the woman who does the facials had to go somewhere to pick someone up in town and it would be an additional 30 minutes. Eventually I did get the facial (but still didn't get the pedicure) and the lady was very professional and nice to me.

I'd definitely stay here again! It was wonderful and relaxing!

Room Tip: The deluxe casita was great!