Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights here on our delayed honeymoon. We don't speak Spanish and were a little nervous going into it. I was looking at a ton of websites trying to find the best excursions, finally I emailed the hotel and they told me they would help us make arrangements. I trusted them and I'm glad we did. It was so easy. We told them what we wanted to do, they set it up for us and we enjoyed it.

The service at the hotel itself was wonderful. Henry at the front desk went above and beyond. US played Mexico in soccer one night that we were there. That same night Costa Rica played. I wanted to watch the US soccer game but I understood that all the staff wanted to watch their own country play. They were more than willing to let us watch the US game, but I didn't want to rob them of getting to watch a game that they were all looking forward to. As we started watching the game Henry brought up his PERSONAL laptop and found the US game online and let me watch it on there. It was awesome. The guys working around the bar were all very friendly and helpful. I say all this just to give you a glimpse of their attitudes. I was seriously stunned by this.

There is no A/C in the facilities and it was a little warm while we were there. There are two fans in the room and those made it cool enough to sleep. There is not much breeze since it is set back in the jungle.

The place was extremely clean. It is also secluded from the town a bit. The drawback to this was that it we couldn't walk into town and had to take a taxi or get bikes to ride. The nice side is that we felt safer out there than we would've if we were closer to town. Playa Cocles is very close and a great beach to enjoy. You could go farther away from town to Punta Uva or Manzanillo but Cocles great.

Know what you are getting. There are mosquito nets around the bed and your windows will be open a lot. You may encounter some wildlife. We had a small lizard in our shower one day, but we also had one in a room in a house that we stayed in in San Jose. If you are not okay with a few experiences like that then I would find a different place that has A/C and is enclosed.
I would suggest not getting to worked up about stuff like that and embracing that as part of the experience.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone. I only say that it is important to know what you are getting into. If you have expectations of a 5-star resort with A/C and no lizard surprises you may be disappointed (And you would have to pay a lot more). But if you want somewhere that is beautiful, secluded, clean, friendly and in nature, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Any room should be good
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had stayed at La Costa de Papito Bungalows back in 2010 and had a splendid time. When we decided to get married there was never any thought in my mind but to get married on the beach in Costa Rica. I contacted La Costa de Papito explained what we wanted. From that first e-mail they planned an amazing wedding for us at no additional costs. The owner scouted locations ahead of time, brought us to see them so we could decide on the amazing location we picked. The bungalows are secluded and private in a spectacular area. the owners have been building this for 20yrs and know everything about the area:) We will most certainly be back!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and had one of our most enjoyable hotels stays ever. The staff (Frederick and others) wrere extremely warm and personable. The bungalows are a treasure thats unique and enchanting. The grounds are well maintained but still preserve the islands atmosphere and the owner was very engaged and interactive with guests and extremely helful with pursuing your interests or needs. He even helped us contact a local artist and mediated our purchase of his works. THANKS Eddie!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here for a whole week and our experience couldn't have been any better! The place is beautiful and the owners are the warmest, kindest people who went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful vacation. It is located right across from the beach, and an easy walk or bike ride to town. We can't wait to return here- I recommend La Costa de Papito to everyone.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My 19 year old daughter and I returned to La Costa de Papito in August for two weeks. It was our fourth visit to Costa Rica in two and a half years...you may correctly assume we LOVE this country. And, we love La Costa de Papito. We stayed here for the entire two weeks! The location is ideal...close enough to bike (or take a taxi at night) to PV for shopping, nightlife or dining. The bungalows are gorgeous, with such unique character-they are designed for relaxation. The porches, equipped with hammocks, cushioned Adirondack chairs, and built in picnic tables, lend themselves to just kicking back and listening to the sounds of the jungle. This trip, the Howler Monkeys were astoundingly loud, usually right at dawn. It is an incredible sound to wake up to. The foliage, butterflies, birds...even with lots of rain during our stay, we never felt cooped up or disappointed. I'd go over to the main building, get a steaming hot cup of delicious Costa Rican coffee, and relax on our porch. The beach is a short walk across the street. If you want to explore more secluded beaches, I strongly recommend renting bikes and riding to Punta Uva-it's just stunning. Back to La Costa de Papito-this trip, we were welcomed back so warmly by the long time staff-Kitty, Marva, Henry at the front desk; and a new employee, Coco, who was so sweet and helpful with any request. They really aim to please here. When my daughter had some stomach trouble, the kitchen made her a special request (American style grilled cheese sandwich). They are so caring and warm with their guests, you feel like part of a big wonderful family. And of course the wonderful bartender, Melvin. The on site restaurant is beautiful designed in the same stunning all-wood style as the bungalows are. The food has always been excellent, both at the expansive and generous inclusive breakfast, and at lunch and dinner. There is a new chef, an Italian (his name is escaping me right now) and the food was amazing. The best Pomodoro sauce I've ever had! This trip, in celebration of my daughter's birthday, we visited the spa, which is just beautiful. She enjoyed a relaxing mani/pedi while sipping coconut water out of a coconut. This place is truly heaven on earth and I feel confident recommending it to anyone considering visiting this part of Costa Rica.

1  Thank SharonB7
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I have to say this place is amazing!!! We loved every minute of our stay! Henry was so accommodating as we had to make a couple of changes ahead of our trip due to flight changes and such.

First the rooms. We stayed in the large bungalow. Everything was fabulous! The first night we were a little worried as we thought the singer might be disturbing as we were so close to the main bldg. But it wasn't loud at all and he didn't play late. We loved hearing the night noises from the trees. Never felt like we really needed the mosquito nets. There were a lot of ants but not many other bugs. And the bungalow was very clean!

The food. Breakfast was to die for! The made to order eggs, daily breakfast item, rice & beans and fresh fruit was a great way to start each day! We only ate lunch and dinner there once each. But both times it was good. My steak at dinner was as good as some I've had in fine restaurants in the States.

The experience. This was by far one of my most favorite vacations!! Take advantage of renting the bikes and riding to town. We did this every nite but the first. We never felt scared. But bring a flashlight of some type as its very dark along the road back later. We had them book two excursions (zip lining and snorkeling) which we loved!! They come pick you up there and bring you back! Just know that there is a minimum of 3 people by the tour company. My two friends went to the spa and both said it was the best massage they've ever had.

We had so much fun that we are already planning when we can come back!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Papito had a friendly, family atmosphere with a very short walk to an amazing beach. Great service and a nice breakfast spread, too. It is just minutes away from downtown Puerto Viejo by car or a 15 minute walk. Some of the beach rentals such as chairs and boogie boards need replaced, but otherwise the resort is clean and aesthetically pleasing. I would stay there again should I return.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel