“this place is right on!”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Phoenix, Arizona
“this place is right on!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

we we enjoyed this place!!!!!!! the staff is excellent they have what you bikes beach towels umbrellas breakfast great location to the beach, close to the town but far enough that you can choose to be in it or not, its in the jungle so yes there are bugs but as long as you come prepared for the jungle you will be good,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

To chose this hotel was the best decission made upfront. A very warm welcome in a wonderful
area gave us the perfect start for our 3 weeks vacation in Costa Rica.
The bungalows are very nice designed and offers everything you need to feel comfortable.
They are embeded into the dschungel. The restaurant offers good food with an excelent service. I wish all the best to the owner and would like to thank him for his hospitality

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I chose this hotel to have my wedding as it is the nicest hotel, with character, in the Puerto Viejo area. I made a great choice. Kitty was warm and welcoming and helped arrange for the lawyer/wedding officiant and photographer. Everything went off without a hitch thanks to Kitty and I had a wonderful wedding experience. We got married right across the street in a coconut grove on the beach. Perfect location. Kitty arranged a beautiful dinner for us at the restaurant at the hotel, which itself is really nice. She even had the table adorned with beautiful flowers and had the chef make us a special "wedding dessert". It was a fruit tort with the best pie crust I have ever had. I would highly recommend the lemon pie as well. The food at the restaurant was delicious and the atmosphere relaxed and romantic, but I could also see it being fun to hang out at the bar and watch sports. The cottages were private and interesting. The porch was a great place to hang out and very comfortable. The bathroom in our cottage looked like a cave. Very cool. Kitty arranged spa services at Indulgence Spa on our wedding day. First, the spa services were outstanding. My husband says it was the best message ever. I had my hair done, which looked beautiful for my wedding. Second, the spa, which is normally closed on a Sunday, opened just for us. The bottom line is that the service is outstanding in every aspect. The hotel is in a great location, right across from the beach and a short bike ride to town. It is clean, comfortable, fun and it feels very safe. It is great for singles, couples, and families. But most importantly, the people that work at La Costa de Papito are warm and kind, and attentive, and will go out of their way to make your stay with them special. I highly recommend La Costa de Papito and will be planning a return visit.

Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

This place was pretty nice. All the staff were very friendly. I liked the private bungalows but they didn't have air conditioning or lots of amenities of a hotel in the city so if you're looking for those then don't stay here. They did have beach towels you could borrow for free, that was quite convenient. The hotel is kind of far from the main part of town so they had bikes for rent but it costs $7 a day. We only ate in the restaurant for the free breakfast, which was kind of repetitive but also good. Overall good experience, I would recommend it. We booked it as part of a groupon package through a travel agency so we didn't have any problems with the booking.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lyon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I know this is the best hotel, also with cabinas, ever in Costa Rica!
We, Nell and Adriano, know the owners and they are the most lovely people!
We worked there for a while and we wish we could work there again.
We visited them last year and the welcoming was the greatest, we're back in Holland now, but when we have the opportunity to get back there, we always will and we Always would visit our friends, Eddy, Auxi and the kids!

Room Tip: Don't look any futher, all rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights here on our delayed honeymoon. We don't speak Spanish and were a little nervous going into it. I was looking at a ton of websites trying to find the best excursions, finally I emailed the hotel and they told me they would help us make arrangements. I trusted them and I'm glad we did. It was so easy. We told them what we wanted to do, they set it up for us and we enjoyed it.

The service at the hotel itself was wonderful. Henry at the front desk went above and beyond. US played Mexico in soccer one night that we were there. That same night Costa Rica played. I wanted to watch the US soccer game but I understood that all the staff wanted to watch their own country play. They were more than willing to let us watch the US game, but I didn't want to rob them of getting to watch a game that they were all looking forward to. As we started watching the game Henry brought up his PERSONAL laptop and found the US game online and let me watch it on there. It was awesome. The guys working around the bar were all very friendly and helpful. I say all this just to give you a glimpse of their attitudes. I was seriously stunned by this.

There is no A/C in the facilities and it was a little warm while we were there. There are two fans in the room and those made it cool enough to sleep. There is not much breeze since it is set back in the jungle.

The place was extremely clean. It is also secluded from the town a bit. The drawback to this was that it we couldn't walk into town and had to take a taxi or get bikes to ride. The nice side is that we felt safer out there than we would've if we were closer to town. Playa Cocles is very close and a great beach to enjoy. You could go farther away from town to Punta Uva or Manzanillo but Cocles great.

Know what you are getting. There are mosquito nets around the bed and your windows will be open a lot. You may encounter some wildlife. We had a small lizard in our shower one day, but we also had one in a room in a house that we stayed in in San Jose. If you are not okay with a few experiences like that then I would find a different place that has A/C and is enclosed.
I would suggest not getting to worked up about stuff like that and embracing that as part of the experience.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone. I only say that it is important to know what you are getting into. If you have expectations of a 5-star resort with A/C and no lizard surprises you may be disappointed (And you would have to pay a lot more). But if you want somewhere that is beautiful, secluded, clean, friendly and in nature, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Any room should be good
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had stayed at La Costa de Papito Bungalows back in 2010 and had a splendid time. When we decided to get married there was never any thought in my mind but to get married on the beach in Costa Rica. I contacted La Costa de Papito explained what we wanted. From that first e-mail they planned an amazing wedding for us at no additional costs. The owner scouted locations ahead of time, brought us to see them so we could decide on the amazing location we picked. The bungalows are secluded and private in a spectacular area. the owners have been building this for 20yrs and know everything about the area:) We will most certainly be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 13 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel La Costa de Papito? Share your experiences!