“Romantic and Idyllic”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Don't even know where to start! What a fabulous place to stay. Everywhere you look there is something at the hotel to delight your eyes: the lush grounds, the wood and stone carvings, even engravings in the pathways! Just a brief stroll across the road to a beautiful Caribbean beach- completely unspoiled by commercialization or crowding- often we were the only people on the whole beach. We stayed in a incomparably lovely and very private bungalow with huge porch and hammock and a huge stone shower. There is a lovely spa on the grounds and the restaurant (also open air) had a great international menu and we ate very, very well at a reasonable cost. The complimentary full delicious Costa Rican breakfast included fruit, coffee, potatoes, pinto gallo, quesadillas. tortillas. pancakes, and eggs anyway you wanted them. The service from the front desk ( Henry, Marva and Kitty)to our waiter (Gabriel) to the landscaping crew were outstanding and the owners Eddie and Auxi were attentive and friendly. Now one caveat: if you like quiet air conditioned Mariott type hotel rooms with golf and tennis and swimming pools, Puerto Viejo might not be the place for you! This is a laid back community and hotel in a jungle setting with noisy birds and animals and grasshoppers and such! Our bed was comfortable and room was cool. We had mosquito netting over the bed but did not have any problem with mosquitos buzzing or biting! On the whole much preferred the Caribbean side of CR over the more developed Pacific side.

Room Tip: I didn't check out the other Bungalows but #3 that we stayed in was lovely and private
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mkfawcett
La_Costa_de_Papito, Manager at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We, too, don´t know where to start in thanking this lovely guest! We work very hard at pleasing our customers to the smallest detail. It is so rewarding when people come and appreciate the effort.
So often it is a question of ´the right fit´with our clients and, in this particular case, they fit like a glove! As our client points out, we are not a ´Mariott type hotel...with golf and tennis and swimming pools´.
So, if the idea of a ´laidback community and hotel in a jungle setting with noisy birds and animals and grasshoppers and such´ with ´something to delight your eyes everywhere you look´, sounds like your idea of a great vacation, then, please be our guest!
We look forward to meeting you!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Firstly I'd like to mention that although I did not rate this hotel highly, I do think its standards are equal, if not better, than the others around the area. They all looked pretty much the same, very casual, very "rustic" and basic I suppose. My partner loved this place and so pretty much proves my point that it depends who you are. I personally was disappointed slightly. I will start with my negatives. The most significant issue was the bathroom. As others have said the water pressure was terrible, and as such you could never enjoy a good hot shower. It was more of a warm trickle and you really had to work to actually wash and clean yourself. Also, although the bulb in the bathroom looked bright, it actually spread no light, and as such each shower we had had to be taken in the dark as no light reached this area! As the sun goes down at 5pm, it meant every night we were showering in the dark shower room. I don't understand how this issue hasn't been mentioned or rectified before now. The other lights in the cabin were also quite dim, and noticing this problem mentioned in another review, and the owner replying the guest hadn't used the "dimmer" lighting correctly, we searched all over for this and there is not any in the cabin. We also borrowed some some beach chairs for a trip, and while this is a good service, one of our chairs was completely rusted and couldn't be used and the other was snapped and damaged. The others looked in similar poor conditions too, so maybe check yours before you gallop off to the beach only to find you have nothing to sit on! The way the cabin is built means it isn't easy to let fresh air. There are no windows to leave ajar, and the doors you can open are quite a hassle. There was one ceiling fan but this was noisy and didn't seem to be much help when in bed with the mosquito net around. Its really one or the other, but as we found there didn't seem to be too many bugs in the room so the net wasn't needed. I agree that this sort of accommodation is tiring after staying a few days. We stayed for 3 and I think that was long enough. Its essentially just glorified camping, and whilst this is perfect for some people, its not for me.
I wouldn't worry if you have booked this place, compared to others we saw it looked good. The restaurant was great in the evening and we had no problem getting a taxi to the town. The restaurant was not so good for breakfast though. Despite what it says online, there wasn't a lot of choice. There was only one fruit juice which was "mixed". Not what I like to see. There was also no hot chocolate as stated online. We did enjoy the french toast one day and my boyfriend enjoyed getting eggs cooked to order. The cabin was kept bug free by having mesh over open windows which is a good idea and worked when we were there. The hammock, although HUGE and hard to get in and out of, was a lot of fun, and the porch area was nice to have. Oh, another thing, we wanted to order a fresh juice to enjoy on ours, as stated on their website, but got told they don't have any and could only give us a fizzy drink. This coming from a hotel in a country as bountiful as Costa Rica for fresh fruit was terrible. I wouldn't stay here again, but then again, I wouldn't visit the area again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Only 50% success in this case. Her partner loved the place but she was slightly disappointed. Bad water pressure would disappoint me as well. We have done maintenance since on all the shower heads, cleaning out the mineral crystals that collect and impide water flow and temperature. The small spotlight bulb in this shower was burned out. The maids have been very good about reporting such problems over the years but we will do monthly inspections now as well.

. We have pulled from circulation the complimentary beach chairs we offer (no aluminum available in Costa Rica so the salt air damages them quickly). The one season lifespan chairs will be for sale again in late December and we will buy new ones for 2014.

I´m grateful to our guest for pointing out these problems. I have to disagree, however, and say there is hot chocolate at breakfast and fresh fruit shakes when you want?? Also, the ´glorified camping´comparison is a bit unkind.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Pretty sparse accommodations set in a beautiful jungle. Breakfast was really great and the front desk staff (unlike most of the other staffers) is very friendly. The drinks offered upon check in were a nice, welcoming touch.

But the bathrooms leave much to be desired. Our expectations weren't high to begin with, but shower pressure was absurdly low and the water waffled mercilessly from cold to hot. For the first 2 nights, sleeping lightly dressed in the room with the fan on sufficed, but by the third night, it was oppressively hot and muggy and no one could fall asleep as a result. Also, there's a lot of noise around in the early morning (around 6am, and even before): cars passing by, people in nearby bungalows talking and walking around. You hear EVERYTHING outside, so if you're a loud sleeper (or a loud person), be aware.

Bikes are available for rental (highly recommend doing this, it's a fun and easy way of getting around) but are kept outside, uncovered, so most of them are a rusted out mess that look about ready to fall apart. (Seriously, get those things under an awning or something - what a waste!)

All in, I'd be willing to stay here again, but I wasn't blown away by the accommodations and this place seems on par with the overall "roughing it a bit" standard that's common in Puerto Viejo. Don't come here expecting luxury standards, and you'll be fine.

Tip: Don't walk to/from town; get a cab. The walk is far and muggings are not all that uncommon here, especially after dark. Cab should cost around $4 ($2,000 colones) to/from town.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Our sincere apologies for the water pressure and temperature. The local water has a high mineral content and crystals form in the shower head affecting water pressure and temperature. The girls who clean are very good at staying on top of things but we are reviewing the showers in every bungalow to make sure they are the best they can be.
The bungalows are privately set apart so I´m surprised that this guest was bothered by people ´talking or walking around in nearby bungalows´ at 6am. A highly acute sense of hearing or some inconsiderate guests in another bungalow might explain this.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

we we enjoyed this place!!!!!!! the staff is excellent they have what you bikes beach towels umbrellas breakfast great location to the beach, close to the town but far enough that you can choose to be in it or not, its in the jungle so yes there are bugs but as long as you come prepared for the jungle you will be good,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

To chose this hotel was the best decission made upfront. A very warm welcome in a wonderful
area gave us the perfect start for our 3 weeks vacation in Costa Rica.
The bungalows are very nice designed and offers everything you need to feel comfortable.
They are embeded into the dschungel. The restaurant offers good food with an excelent service. I wish all the best to the owner and would like to thank him for his hospitality

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I chose this hotel to have my wedding as it is the nicest hotel, with character, in the Puerto Viejo area. I made a great choice. Kitty was warm and welcoming and helped arrange for the lawyer/wedding officiant and photographer. Everything went off without a hitch thanks to Kitty and I had a wonderful wedding experience. We got married right across the street in a coconut grove on the beach. Perfect location. Kitty arranged a beautiful dinner for us at the restaurant at the hotel, which itself is really nice. She even had the table adorned with beautiful flowers and had the chef make us a special "wedding dessert". It was a fruit tort with the best pie crust I have ever had. I would highly recommend the lemon pie as well. The food at the restaurant was delicious and the atmosphere relaxed and romantic, but I could also see it being fun to hang out at the bar and watch sports. The cottages were private and interesting. The porch was a great place to hang out and very comfortable. The bathroom in our cottage looked like a cave. Very cool. Kitty arranged spa services at Indulgence Spa on our wedding day. First, the spa services were outstanding. My husband says it was the best message ever. I had my hair done, which looked beautiful for my wedding. Second, the spa, which is normally closed on a Sunday, opened just for us. The bottom line is that the service is outstanding in every aspect. The hotel is in a great location, right across from the beach and a short bike ride to town. It is clean, comfortable, fun and it feels very safe. It is great for singles, couples, and families. But most importantly, the people that work at La Costa de Papito are warm and kind, and attentive, and will go out of their way to make your stay with them special. I highly recommend La Costa de Papito and will be planning a return visit.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This place was pretty nice. All the staff were very friendly. I liked the private bungalows but they didn't have air conditioning or lots of amenities of a hotel in the city so if you're looking for those then don't stay here. They did have beach towels you could borrow for free, that was quite convenient. The hotel is kind of far from the main part of town so they had bikes for rent but it costs $7 a day. We only ate in the restaurant for the free breakfast, which was kind of repetitive but also good. Overall good experience, I would recommend it. We booked it as part of a groupon package through a travel agency so we didn't have any problems with the booking.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel