“Great food and Staff”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I loved this place, first off the staff is great and extremely helpful, will set up trips for you and make recommendations. I took three tours while I was there and was pleased. The food was excellent and with the exception of the steak, I am not a steak lover, I realy enjoyed the food. The rooms are nice, kept cool by a ceiling fan. I drank the water in the cabina and had no problem although I seem to have an iron stomach. I would heed their warning. I will be back.

Room Tip: No 11 is a good room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I will start with the incredible dining experience at the restaurant, we ate 4/5 nights here and not once were we disappointed! First night we had Lasagna with shrimp and mushroom sauce and the flavours were explosive, our Christmas dinner was shrimp stuffed sea bass it was ohh so delicious! We also enjoyed a great platter of nachos ! We had excellent service with Gabrielle and of course our awesome waiter Coco! We also got to enjoy the great Calypso band on Christmas Eve, so much fun!
Our bungalo was a wonderful experience, it was clean and private!
As one other reviewer pointed out, the netting over the bed would be better if the circle above was a bit bigger or frame the bed above to allow better coverage for the netting. That would be our only complaint if you really want to call it that.
Overall our experience was a positive one and we would recommend these cabanas to anyone wanting to really experience something different and exotic, Thank-you Eddy and all the staff, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donnajeanne2013
Reviewed 16 December 2013

There are great things about this place and a few not so great. The great stuff is the staff who is very friendly and helpful. Also the restuant is nice and the food is excellent. The setting is nice and it is a short walk to the beach. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. We were concerned that there was no air conditioner but it cools off at night and the ceiling fans made it comfortable. So what didn't we like? It says there are screens on the windows. Yes, 2 of the 5 windows had screens. The others do not although the venting at the room top does have screens. You can close the shudders but there is a huge gap in some of them that is large enough for mosquitoes. There is mosquito netting on the beds but a ring a the top is not very large and the netting tends to creep in on you at night and getting up in the night to go to the bathroom was at times irritating because you have to find the way out and close it back when you are half asleep. I wish the upper ring were close the the size of the bed so it didn't creep in on you. In fairness only a very few mosquitoes got in the room. There aren't very many in the area. The only other negative thing is the water. This is probably true for all the rooms in the area, but it is not advisable to drink the water. We used bottled water for drinking and brushing our teeth.

Room Tip: In spite of screen and mosquito issues this is still probably one of the best in the area and the ar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randy B
Reviewed 11 December 2013

love this spot!! super friendly people working here, delicious food in the restaurant, yummy drinks at the bar and the rooms were so lovely and clean with a huge deck for each room with a hammock. Most rooms have multiple beds, our room had 4! Would definitely come back here.

Room Tip: some rooms have 2 showers and multiple beds including bunk beds
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vvaudo
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I decided to get married in Costa Rica, and we decided on this place and started corresponding with Kitty right away. She answered ALL our annoying emails, arranged a photographer & lawyer, a shuttle from the airport, a bouquet, and helped with the details once we arrived.
We had our ceremony right before sunset at a coconut grove on the beach across the street from the hotel, with coconut cocktails afterward for a toast with our family. Afterward we had dinner at the restaurant at the hotel with an amazing live calypso band. We had a great evening at the restaurant enjoying the music and talking to the other guests. Three little girls at the hotel, who came to our wedding, drew us pictures and presented us with piles of beautiful drawings of me and my husband as the band played.
As for the hotel, there is no A/C, TV, phone..., which is exactly why we picked it. Those that complain about not having them, should have read the hotel's website first. All of those things would have only taken away from the natural jungle sounds and beautiful scenery. We found that the fans and open windows provided enough comfort from the heat. The breakfast every morning was delicious and abundant. We had a couple lunches here as well that were very good.
Kitty and Eddie, and all the staff in fact, were very helpful in answering questions, offering advice, and making sure we had everything we needed. We were very happy with everything and have wonderful memories of our wedding and honeymoon because of them.

Room Tip: We saw 2 different bungalows that were both of equal quality, and the budget room by reception, whic...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I had two of my most memorable vacations in Costa Rica, and Costa de Papito's wonderful family, delicious food and great local network made it perfect for sport, reflection and incidentally, making some of my life's biggest decisions.

They remembered me after my first visit and treated me like a dear cousin. When I toured the Pacuare River for a white-water rafting trip with Exploradores Outdoors, they confirmed that I'd chosen the best place. They said all the locals consider it the best because of the food, accommodations, and service. The location is great. They even hooked me up with a surf instructor for just $25/hr who happened to be the then current reigning surf champion on the Caribbean coast (his son was #2 and his daughter was Miss Costa Rica). There are too many ridiculously awesome things -- from making friends with the guides and their girlfriends to hang out at the beach, meeting great people who were also guests, to encountering a wild mare and baby stallion on the beach, running out of the jungle and frolicking in the water in front of me.

Too many great things. I'm counting on Eddie, Kitty, Martha and the whole crew to help me make my wedding incredible and so far, they've been tremendous! See you guys soon!

Room Tip: just don't get the budget room by the kitchen unless you don't really care. the place is cle...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rosally S
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at Costa de Papito about 2 months ago at the beginning of September and it was a great choice! The hotel staff are super friendly, greeting you with fruity drinks upon arrival. You take a short walk from the reception area over to your bungalow, which includes a bedroom, bathroom, and wrap around porch complete with hammock. There is no air-conditioning in the rooms, but the windows open up with screens and there are also bug screens around the beds. They keep you very well protected.

You are also able to rent bicycles from the reception area for about $12 a day and from there it is about a 5 minute bike ride into the main town, and about a 10 minute ride in the opposite direction to the Jaguar Rescue Center. There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel which offers live entertainment at least once a week, large food portions are killer frozen cocktails. And don't let me forget the beach is right across the street, and you can rent surf boards for $7/2hours!

Personally when I travel I don't want to stay in a place that I could have stayed in right here in New York. My boyfriend and I really wanted to experience Costa Rica, soak up the culture, eat the food and meet the people. Staying in Costa de Papito really makes you feel like you're on vacation as well as give you an experience you will never forget.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple