“Cozy Bungalow”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Shamong, New Jersey
“Cozy Bungalow”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The bungalow is basic and nice.Windows were screened and everything locked. They were all nice . Offered laundry services which we needed and our clothes were nice and clean after. We ate breakfast and 2 dinners they were okay. I wish I could have had my own coffee maker though, I love my coffee. They had coffee there but it was old and milk had turned. I was not drinking that. Some bugs so spray yourself. Also my hubby had a mango that a monkey stole and ate while we were in our room. Still laughing about that. It was okay all around. The dogs barking and construction on house behind bungalow was very annoying. I am a dog groomer and own 7 dogs and have 7 kids. So when I go away I don't want to hear anything at 3am. Sorry

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
There was construction during the day on a neighboring property during this couple´s visit. Nothing we could do about it but I am really sorry to hear how it affected our guests. I, too, heard dogs barking furiously that night. I asked a neighbor the next day and it seems that her dogs had chased a raccoon up a tree and the barking went on a while.
Apologies again for the disturbances.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was my husbands and I's second visit to La Costa De Papito, and we already look forward to our third, fourth, and fifth visits in the future! We spent 10 days in bungalow #10, the two bedroom bungalow, which we shared with my sister and a friend. It was very private in regards to its location from the other bungalows, and the privacy between the two bedrooms was more than sufficient as well. There were fans in both rooms, and very large (screened) windows that could be opened to help with airflow. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and its just a walk across the street to get to the beach. You can rent bikes, boogie boards, or surf boards from the front desk and we are SO happy we took advantage of all of those this time around. Looking up and arranging excursions was also incredibly easy with the help of the wonderful staff at La Costa De Papito. Henry and Coco went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of day in and day out, as far as adventure was concerned! Moving on to the the food....oh my goodness! Not a meal has compared since we've been home. Everything is so fresh and so delicious, that many nights we did not even venture out for dinner as many places couldn't compare.
In regards to the rest of the staff and our overall experience: We often cannot find the words, and when we do, they don't do our incredible experience justice. The Ryan family is SO wonderful and truly became our family away from home while we were there. Several nights they stayed up late with us to chat or teach us how to 'fly' on the material...they let us accompany them on day trips for surfing...and when we ran into mild travel troubles, Eddie was on the phone with me helping to brain storm solutions and keep anxiety levels down. Needless to say, when we left there were tears! The wait and bar staff became wonderful friends as well in such a short time- Gabrielle and Melvin show wonderful hospitality, and make amazing drinks too! I could honestly write page after page of our wonderful experiences and adventures with La Costa De Papito and all of its staff.
As mentioned before, our first trip was great and our second was incredible, which leaves us anticipating what our third has in store! Four years ago we said we would be back, and today, we say it again with great confidence. La Costa De Papito won't let you down and is ABSOLUTELY worth a visit :) Pura Vida

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shelby M
La_Costa_de_Papito, Manager at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
We love it when people visit and become ´part of the Papito family´! These clients were so much fun. Such a pleasure to see their smiling faces day and night.
We really appreciate their kind words and we look forward to visit #3 next year.
We miss you and can´t wait for your return!!
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I only stayed one night at Costa de Papito, but was truly impressed at the beauty of the facility. It is not beautiful in the traditional sense, but instead it is creative and fun. A travelers palm is growing out of the structure of the main lodge. The cabinas are rustic. Screened in windows are secured with carved wooden framing and designs. The mosquito netting was added protection in case they got in the room. Picnic tables on the covered porches allowed you to enjoy the jungley surroundings. The food was excellent and the music (live) was quite good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Last January was our second visit to La Costa de Papito for my wife and me. This time, we were with a group of 16 students from our College in Quebec. We are both ecology teachers and we bring groups in Costa Rica from Quebec since 1997. We were looking for a better place to stay in Puerto Viejo that the one we used to go with our group. At our first stay in July 2013 for two nights, we really enjoyed the place, clean cabin, the staff, the food and the proximity of the beach. We met with Eddie and ask him if we could come back in winter with a group of students. The answer was yes. During the next fall, we asked our agent to make arrangement with La Costa de Papito for a 3 nights stay for 16 students, 3 faculty members a guide and a bus driver. Our agent, for the first time in years, made a mistake in the reservation. When we arrive in January with our group, we realized that our agent had reserve for 2 nights instead of 3! Well, Eddie with his staff managed to find us room for the last night and only 4 students had to change for a smaller cabin and they found a room in another hotel for our bus driver. We really appreciated the way that Eddie and his staff took care of the reservation problem. The only negative point would be the internet connection that was not always working. We are looking forward to bring other groups each year.
François Villeneuve, St-Jean College, Quebec, Canada

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Costa Rica
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I went to Puerto Viejo, and stay two nights at costa de papito.

The bugallows are ok, good bed and restroom, really contact with the nature, you can heard the monkeys in the morning ;)

Great breakfast as part of the reservation and Puerto Viejo, Manzanillo are placed to start a real contact with the nature spirit. The national park is a great experience, I advise to use mountain gear to walk over there (in the Manzanillo Park)

Also, you can rent a bike a give you a ride over there.

Might the only cons, is there is not any refrigerator to keep your drinks cold. Rather than that everything was ok, the relax I was looking for.

Best,
J

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
colorado
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This little place could be a gem in the jungle, but it seems to be getting rather tired. It just needs a little shining uup. The rooms were clean, the staff was very nice and helpful, the location is okay, but there's something missing. I think if there was a little more attention paid to the grounds upkeep it would look fresher. I wanted to grab a rake and get to work. Maybe I should have!! :) There needs to be more of an open area with chairs for sitting comfortably. The main restaurant area is nice but kind of gloomy after a while. A pool at this property would be an amazing addition. The beach is pretty close but a cute little swimming pool onsite would be fab.

We stayed in the small budget room next to the kitchen and the cabin was clean and the noise level was fine, but there's an exposed sewer pipe off the porch that might need some attention. The wafting odor occasionally had us looking at each other with a grimace. The breakfasts were amazing, but the food off the specials nightly that we tried were simply average and once it was just downright not good. Not sure what the "Caribbean Barbecue" night was all about. :)

So, although a lot of the reviews here are stellar for the Hotel La Costa de Papito I'm wondering if they've been to a couple of other hotels we've stayed at in the area that are over the top beautifully done and much closer to grabbing the five star rating. All in all it was an okay stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
These clients stayed in the budget cabin for $59 nightly (including breakfast) which we offer for people on a tight budget. We explain on the website that it is located close to the reception/kitchen area and because it is not in our beautiful 4 acre bungalow garden it can be noisy and the setting is entirely different. The design is different from the bungalows (the bathroom is outside and separate) and it is located under some guarumo trees which shed their leaves in January and February. When the kitchen grey water waste treatment set up is opened and cleaned a few times yearly the budget cabin can receive foul breezes for a few hours that day.
You cannot compare the experience of staying in the cabin with your stay in a bungalow at La Costa de Papito.
Londonderry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 February 2014

For my first time out of the country, I couldn't have pictured a better vacation and place to stay. The bungalows are perfect. We stayed in bungalow 10, with two seperate bedrooms. Each bungalow has a huge front deck equipped with your own table and hammock! It was very private also. The bungalows are spread out and you have a lot of privacy. The staff there is unbelievable. By far the friendliest people I've met in a long time. The food and drinks are delicious, you can rent bikes to go into town, and if you want to take a taxi into town, it is only 4 US dollars. La Costa de Papito is also right across from one of the nicest beaches in the area, in my opinion. An excellent opportunity to learn how to surf! This place is definitely one I will be returning to.

• Stayed January 2014
#7 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 13 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel La Costa de Papito? Share your experiences!