“Great staff, lesser rooms. ”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel in the outskirts of Puerto Viejo de Salamanca is a good option when you're looking for a decently priced hotel in the neighbourhood.

The staff was absolutely wonderful and kind, great compliments to them.

The rooms were of lesser quality. Wi-Fi was available, though it didn't work. The shower barely gave any warm water, and the toilet had problems flushing.

However this restaurant is on a 1 minute walk from the beach, and the restaurant from the hotel was excellent. So if you're close and looking for a decent place to stay, consider this place.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nilsmackay
La_Costa_de_Papito, Gerente at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Apologies to our guests for the problems. The WiFi was in and out those days because the telephone company was working in the area changing cables. The shower heads have to be cleaned periodically because the minerals in the water calcify and the build up impides the water flow. Our guest was right - water flow was poor when we have floading on the grounds because of severe repeated rainfall the flushing of a toilets. Can be temporarily be affected. The rain was crazy that week! We are really happy that this family enjoyed their stay despite the problems.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The service at the front desk (Minerva :) and restaurant was excellent. Lunch & Dinners were delicious. Employees were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was average, it needs more variety. We were there for three nights and got exactly the same thing over and over.
Rooms/bathrooms were clean and comfortable except our double bed mattress, springs hurt. We got the Dolphin cabin. Kids beds were just fine.
We would go back again. It was a great experience after all!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank limamama

The idea is not to become aware of maintenace problems in customer reviews but this review led us to discover a broken spring in the mattress and new one was quickly installed. too bad our guests did`nt let us know at the time when we could have inmediately made the change and made them confortable. We are thrilled that they had a " great experience" despite the situation.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a good time at Costa De Papito. The owner's teach surfing and were very patient with my two boys and me. Although I was never able to stand up, my kids were able to and enjoyed the experience. It rains a lot so if I came next time, I would bring more synthetic clothes so I could avoid having to do laundry.

Room Tip: IF you need Wifi check connectivity the moment you get to your room. Some rooms have problem with th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 123Magic
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Even tough our trip was more for work than vacation, I write this review with that purpose in mind. On my way to Puerto Viejo, I consulted TRIPADVISOR for hotels in the area. I had never stopped at La Costa de Papito and I was encouraged to do so after my call. Upon my arrival, I was taken by a knowledgeable host to see one of the bungalows and I thought it was good for the night or two we needed to stay in the vicinity. The bungalow was well equipped with two queen size beds, in a spacious room with a ceiling fan, safe deposit box and a good sized bathroom. The part of the bungalow I liked was on the outside with a nice table and surrounded by a corridor. Sheets and linen where nice and pretty new. Served every morning and included in the rate paid, I enjoyed the buffet breakfast with eggs a la carte. My experience was a very good one and I will definitely recommend it for vacationers and in this case of mine, if you have any business in the vicinity.

Room Tip: All bungalows where private and enjoyed good distance between them. I stayed at one near the office...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our stay at La Costa De Papito was wonderful. The staff could not be friendlier. They will take care of everything. Bike rentals, beach towel and umbrella rentals, arranging transportation, and they set up any tour you'd like to take. Close enough but also far enough away from downtown Puerto Viejo. Playa Cocles beach just a short walk away. The Indulgence Spa is a MUST, we had the deep tissue massage and it was perfect and rejuvenating. Papito has the BEST complimentary continental breakfast I've ever had at any vacation establishment. Such a wonderful honeymoon here. We will definitely be back. Even with the rain and the bugs (and we had a bat get into our room one afternoon!) it was excellent. I must mention as my mother is disabled, I would not recommend this place to someone who has any trouble walking or balance issues, especially in the rainy season. it will be too hard for someone like that to walk the grounds safely. Also, we were one day late due to our transportation issues but Papito couldnt have been more accommodating and great with their communication. A++

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great location and helpful staff.
All in all, a good experience but:
- bungalows are made of wood in a rustic style, which is aesthetically beautiful and well inserted in the natural environment but they have huge gaps in the junction of walls and ceiling and windows which, especially in the midst of the forest, doesn't feel very safe (snakes and all that) and led to multiple mosquitoes bites (even with the use of the mosquito nets; plus it had 4 Windows and only 1 had a mosquito net making it hard to air the room
- furniture and bathroom lacked proper cleaning (bathroom was cleaned daily but not thoroughly
- breakfast with very little variety and no fresh bread

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MPGuerra
Reviewed 28 May 2014

the bungalows are an amazing rustic beauty....i have stayed in many kinds of places around the world and in costa rica...this is like a piece of paridise in the rain forest....your own little slice of heaven, fall asleep to the crashing waves acrposs the road from the warm caribbean waters and wake up to the sound of birds and monkeys. the main room was a beautiful all hand made space that is truly unique. the staff was great the food even better. we sepnt a morning fishing and the captain and crew were great, any meal we had in town or around there was perfect..loved the whole area, cant wait to get back..it is the perfect rustic get away, riding bikes to town, swimming at one of the best beaches in costa rica..the whole experience was one of a kind

Room Tip: we had a 2 bedroom for 2 men over 6 ft and we just asked for the largest beds and they were more tha...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends