“Gets better every time!”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Always a surprise awaits me at La Costa de Papito. My first visit was in 1995 and every visit has been a pleasure. Not back since 2001 I received a welcomed shock. They now host a soaring thatched restaurant/bar/reception area that's creatively decorated with local flora, Costa Rican paintings, driftwood statues (including a lifesized cow), monkey carvings, tiki gods, tables fashioned from local tree trunk slices and boards, and some of the best food I had in Costa Rica. Good food, great service and unique presentations. Beef dish served in a hollowed out pineapple, local Caribbean lobster, coffee based salad dressing and coconut bread rolls. Rooms are funky, Caribbean, airy with great bathrooms and ample hot water. A plus.
Breakfasts served in the room with tropical fruits, Caribbean pancakes, eggs, rice and beans in a coconut base and hearty CR coffee.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank AGoodLife

Reviewed 27 January 2009

I've been to Puerto Viejo a few times before and this last visit in Christmas week I stayed at La Costa de Papito Bungalows on a friends recommendation. I went with my girlfriend and he told me the place was quite intimate with the bungalows privately set apart. The bungalow was tucked away in the foliage and we spent many peacefull hours in the hammock. One night in bed I was admiring the detail and fine craftsmenship in the construction with all rustic materials. I am a contracter and I appreciated how they cleverly worked with round tree branches and not 2x6 beams. Really cool and classy. It is right across the road from the Cocles Beach. Be careful! Both myself and my girlfriend had to be rescued out of a riptide current by the lifeguards

[--]

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thekulak
Reviewed 24 January 2009

My wife and I and another family of four had the opportunnity to stay at La Costa de Papito for 4 nights. During our stay we had the best service that we had experienced during our 2 week stay in Costa Rica. Eddie and his staff were truly service oriented and we felt like we were apreciated as guests not just more people to wait on. I really want to thank Minerva ( our waitress) who each evenning waited on us with proffessionalism as well as a feeling of caring. The bungalows were great and had plenty of room for all of our things while we stayed there.
There is always talk about the security of puerto Viejo and rightly so. I think if you pay attention to your surroundings, stay in at night and don't befriend any scrupulous characters during your stay there. If I had any suggestions to improve the overall ratings I guess I would have to say that all of the places we stayed in Costa Rica provided breakfast as part of the costs.

Thank you Eddie, Vivian, and of course Minerva for making us feel at home and valued.

FYI the road to Puerto Viejo somewhat skirts Limon but even then as you travel east you understand that this is definatley a different side of Costa Rica...

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobofthemtn
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We've stayed at La Costa de Papito many times over the years, but like the place even better since the restaurant was added. The food is always great and the staff friendly, polite, and efficient. Here's a restaurant with great service!
In addition, we've seen some amazing entertainment while dining at the restaurant. There have been singers, a calypso band, and even a belly dancer! Nothing like dining on great food in the Caribbean while watching a belly dance show!
Just wanted to spread the word about a great place!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We arrived here after 5 hour bus journey from San Jose. It was dark and the taxi ride from town seemed to go on forever. We had the bungalow with outside shower. Room and bathroom were fine. Only problem is that it is right next to the kitchen, bar, reception and owners accommodation. If you are after a quiet night, don't stay in this room.

We hired bikes to get into the town, about a 10 min bike ride. At night the roads are dark but fine. Definitely recommend eating at El Loco Natural. For breakfast, dont stay at the hotel - complete rip off. There is a little german bakery on the way into town - best banana smoothies.

Beach is only few minutes walk and is best in the morning, afternoons the trees blocked the sun. Most staff were really helpful.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2009

This place is awesome. We wanted to stay in bungalows when we were in Costa Rica. The bungalows are pretty rustic but clean. It was really big too. We stayed in the bungalow next to the lobby and restaurant which I wouldn't suggest. It was loud at night until the bar closed. We were on vacation so i didnt mind but it could get irritating from the pool table. There are some really nice more secluded huts I would ask for next time. Yes we will stay for sure next time. The restaurant was amazing. the food was so good and so fresh. We loved the bartender's fresh drinks. They cut the fruit right there and make drinks. It takes a while but soooo worth it. We loved breakfast served on our porch every morning. You cant beat fresh breakfast served to you.

Your porch comes with a table and benches with a hammock. We even had some dogs hang out with us.

I got a massage in the spa. It was such a relaxing experence. The massage itself wasn't the best. You get a yummy juice forst and soak your feet with flowers. The products they have are awesome too.

The location was great. Just a short walk across the road to the beach.

We will back for sure!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank seannas
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I have never written a review before and unfortunately it will be a negative one. I was just doing research for a friend and saw La Costa de Papito and was reminded of my time there in 2003. I have traveled to Mexico, Belize and both coasts of Costa Rica and I was the least impressed by Puerto Viejo and the owner of La Costa de Papito.
PROS - The bungalows were very nice, clean and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and the bungalows are far enough away to ensure privacy and the resort is out of town so it is quiet and secluded. Nice spot because right across the street is the beach.
CONS - Our last night there I was robbed. My friend and I biked to puerto viejo for dinner and drinks, we had hidden our passports, credit cards and traveler checks in separate places as a cautionary practice (thank god we did!) When we went back to the hotel to pay our bill in order to get an early start and leave in the morning I found out that my credit card and $800 in travelers checks had been stolen out of the room! When I reported it to the manager, she was not very helpful and the owner ( a fellow NYer) thought we were running a scam to avoid paying our bill!! He outright did not believe us and called us liars and threatened to get the police involved. We had to use their phone to cancel my credit card and try to recoup the money for the travelers checks - the owner charged us over $100 in phone bills. Thank God my friends money was not stolen, he paid and we got out of there as soon as possible. Bottom line is - beautiful place but the owner is outright rude and hostile and has been living in a dream where nothing bad can happen and his staff is comprised of angels. Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled with friends