“Much better than expected!”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
New Jersey
“Much better than expected!”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We had two bungalows with three adults and four children, aged 7 to 17, and we were very pleased with this property. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially when I had trouble starting my car. They went above and beyond to help us. Eddie, the owner, was very nice and used his car to jump-start our car. He loaned me his jumper cables to take with us for our entire stay of three days. His act of kindness really saved our vacation because we had to use the cables every time we started the car in and around Puerto Viejo.
The bungalows were very secure and clean. We never had a single problem with insects and the jungle canopy kept the bungalows very cool, day and night. I hope to return to PV and when I go, I will contact Hotel La Costa de Papito first.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were two families with three teens and one 7 year old. We each had a bungalow with two queen beds - and it was a lovely stay. The rooms were large, comfortable, nice big porch with table and hammock. Clean mosquito netting in good shape, big powerful ceiling fan, nice big windows - very breezy. The beds were comfortable, the sheets were good quality, big bathroom, hot water, nice towels. Bright bedside READING LAMPS - this is what most places forget!!!

Our car battery kept dying and Eddie was right there with jumper cables, let us borrow them while we were there and recommended a good mechanic in town to address the problem. Very generous - never made us feel like we were any trouble!

The staff was so pleasant and helpful, too. Always smiling and you got the feeling they like their jobs! Love that!

We would definitely stay here again - right across the street from the beach and next door to an ice cream parlor... Perfect!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
stacyclaire1999
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We booked La Costa de Papito after reading some reviews on tripadvisor and looking at their website. And we were not disappointed at all and ended up staying 9 days! The food and drinks were great, the service was amazing, the rooms were fabulous and the location was perfect. As a family, we didn't want to stay right in downtown Puerto Viejo but we were just about 1.5 km away...the perfect length for a quick bike ride into town. We were also only a couple of km away from Punta Uva and some great snorkeling....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, the rooms. I'm a little stunned about people saying anything negative about the rooms. I have OCD (and that's not a joke....I've been diagnosed) particularly when it comes to dirt and bugs. I found the room, bathroom, public facilities on the grounds and everything spotlessly clean. The rooms are definitely rustic but they are cleaned daily and we never had problems with bugs or any kind of animal and, believe me, I was looking.

Second, the food and drinks. Fabulous! The restaurant is not particularly cheap but I didn't find it much more expensive than the other restaurants that we ate at when we went to town. Costa Rica is just not as cheap as some other Latin American countries. Breakfast was $7 but after one morning, we found that my husband and I could share a single breakfast because they were so huge. There were mornings we didn't finish it together!

Third, the service. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was charming, polite and exceedingly professional. They would book services for us elsewhere, answer a million questions and work as hard as they could to provide anything we needed. They helped us book a rafting trip on our way in from San Jose and it all went very smoothly.

Finally, the location. Some people have mentioned that it is across the street from the beach and not *on* the beach. It is. But the street is a narrow, two-lane road and the beach is literally on the other side. We could hear the waves crashing all night from our bungalow. So, I suppose if you wanted to step out your door and be on the beach you might be disappointed, but I can't imagine anyone being put out by a one minute (if that) jaunt to the water. It was the best of both worlds. We got to experience both the jungle when we were at La Costa and the beach just a minute away. And the beach is gorgeous. It's not crowded and we had days where it was relatively calm and other days where some good surfing was to be had.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. We talked to a few other guests who were staying at the hotel and they all wished they had booked more days so that they could stay on. We'll definitely be back....maybe for a month!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I just came back form a quick weekend gateway with my wife and my mother.

This is a great echo-lodge with a very well polished concept, very private with no sights from the street and a wonderful natural wild like environment.

Rooms are just beautiful, rustic style and private, be aware you will be on a natural reserve like environment, so if you are not the kind of wild life tourist you shall stay away. Owners do have pets around, so this was kind of uncomfortable to us. We dealt with a cat around the bungalow all the weekend long, it was charming but we are not into pets, so it was unpleasant to have it around all the time. A dog also visited us a couple of times.

Restaurant is beautiful and nice decoration, staff is attentive and the food was delicious, formal style with no pretensions. Reasonable prices.

If you are looking for a romantic or private family escapade and you are fine with the details I mentioned, this shall be a great experience. Location is terrific, just in the middle of the fun near Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I say Meh because it wasn't really bad or really good. The breakfast was good as were the drinks at the bar. I felt safe there but there were a lot of creepy scratchy noises going on at night. I'm pretty sure a rat ran across my legs as I took an afternoon nap. The beds were hard and always damp which makes me feel uncomfortable. The hammock was awesome and we spent more time there then anywhere else. Also, the shower is kind of scary as there are wires and water in close quarters. If you are looking for luxury look elsewhere if you just need a place to stay it's a decent choice.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 13 June 2009

La Costa de Papito is the one of the first places that I looked into in the Puerto Viejo area, and I fell in love with it after looking at the website and reading the reviews. That said, maybe my expectations were a bit high! We ended up staying at Pachamama Bungalows further south at Punta Uva for 4 nights because it also has excellent reviews and was less expensive. We LOVED Pachamama (although quieter and more simple), and needed another place to stay for just 1 night. So...I chose La Costa de Papito. It was the most expensive hotel we stayed at during our 8-night trip, and we left slightly disappointed.

We stayed in #5. There was another cabin being built next door, so construction noise won over the sounds of the jungle. I'm not sure why other reviews mentioned that you can't hear or see the other cabins. The woodwork is absolutely beautiful - both for the cabins and the reception/restaurant area. Our cabin had a nice big porch with a big table and benches, and hammocks. The inside of the cabin was dark. The lighting was poor given all of the dark wood and dark paint inside, and high ceilings. Not all of the windows had screens. The bed was hard - not just firm, but hard like you are on the springs. The mosquito net was not large enough to wrap around the bed, so it kind of laid against us while in bed. We wanted it around us because there was a huge cockroach on it when we first got there. I will admit that we saw (smaller) cockroaches at the two previous places we stayed. I can deal with that - we were in Costa Rica after all and bugs can go wherever they want. Our cabin felt clean, but we felt like there could be something lurking in any corner. The ceiling was high and had the appearance of a thatch roof, and the lighting was not good in the room and even worse in the bathroom. There were rustling noises coming from the screen up by the roof, but it was so dark that we couldn't see what was causing the noises. Basically, I wanted the ability to scan the room and quickly see that there are no immediate concerns - but this wasn't a possibility!

The dinner we had at the restaurant was good, and the service was excellent. There were computers available for guests. I hear their spa is one of the best in the area. It is right across the street from Playa Cocles, which is a good surf beach. You can rent boogie boards/surf boards on the beach for $10. The beach is good for watching the water. Playa Cocles is not the best swimming beach, unless you don't mind always watching for big waves coming up behind you. I recommend Punta Uva slightly south where the beaches are beautiful, the water is calm, snorkeling is good, and there are fewer people.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Idaho
Reviewed 31 May 2009

What a fantastic place! It was a great place to escape to and just enjoy hanging around. The rooms (bungalows) were so cool and private. Lots of beautiful flora and some wildlife on the property, right across from a great beach. Easy bike into town, but away from the noise and chaos of Puerto Viejo. There is a store and nice restaurant (cheaper than the one in the hotel) just down the road (you can walk there) so you don't even have to go into town if you don't want to.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Cocles
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel La Costa de Papito? Share your experiences!