“LOVED it!”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed 30 October 2009

From reading some of the reviews, I was a bit worried but all those worries disappeared once we arrived.

We rented a car and drove from San Jose... don't do this. Take the bus. We used our car but could've gotten around just fine using bikes or cabs. I emailed the hotel a few days before our arrival to get directions and not only did we get excellent driving directions but were told of a great place to stop for lunch and where to look out for speed traps. The speed traps were right where they said they would be and lunch was good.

Yes, they do prefer that you pay cash but if it means I save the 13% credit card fee... cash it is. They changed US cash for us at the front desk when they had it and didn't charge us a fee. The exchange rate was better at the hotel than when we had to go to town and exchange it at the bank.

You can charge the breakfast and dinners to your room and pay at check out. Same thing with water and beer from the coolers in the lobby. But you cannot charge spa services to you room, that would've been nice. We did a couples massage in the spa and it was wonderful. I would highly recommend it.

We utilized the hotel safe because of the one review about the theft in the room but towards the end of our trip we just locked our things in our suitcase and put it under the bed. We had no problems but if you are concerned the hotel will get your things in and out of the safe without complaint.

Most nights we walked into town for dinner and took a cab back. The walk is just over a mile and we never felt unsafe. Make sure you wear sturdy shoes for the walk since the roads are full of potholes or gravel. The cab ride back is 2000 colones which is a fair price.

We found the staff and Eddie to be very friendly and helpful. They called a Cocoa Plantation to make reservations for a tour for us and arranged a zip line tour... both of which we would recommend doing. They always gave us good advice and went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

We stayed in bungalow 8 which is far from the reception area. We never had a complaint about noise. We did get woken up by roosters and jungle noise but that is what happens when you stay in the jungle. The rooms were clean. Every window (with the exception of the one that opens out on the back) had screens but even if they didn't we didn't have any problems with bugs. Didn't get one bug bite the entire week.

Bottom line... this hotel is clean, safe, romantic with a wonderful staff and in a great location. If I were to go back to Puerto Viejio, I would stay here without a second thought.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2009

My husband and I had a WONDERFUL time at La Costa de Papito where we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. My biggest mistake was in thinking that 4 full days there (with a travel day on each end) would be plenty of time. We were enjoying ourselves so much that we checked into staying a couple more days but unfortunately, they were full and couldn't accommodate us. What a disappointment!

I will echo what some others have said and that's that this isn't for everyone. We normally would go for a big resort but this time, we chose to do something different and that's exactly why this appealed to us. If you are looking for air conditioning, a TV, room service, someone to bring you drinks at the pool (or even a pool), the chance to dress up in the evenings, then don't come.

But if you are looking for something out of the ordinary, absolutely beautiful, a perfect blend of beach and jungle, friendly staff, a little bit of isolation yet very close to town, the chance to meet people from all around the world, then La Costa de Papito and Puerto Viejo is the place for you.

We had bungalow #3 and it HAS to be one of the best. I didn't see all of the bungalows but from what I did see, most have to be pretty private due to the dense (and beautiful, well cared-for) vegetation on the grounds. You had to walk by a couple of other bungalows to get to ours but no one had to walk by ours - it was at the back - so it was extra private.

I was concerned about it being dark inside at night time after having read some of the reviews but that didn't prove to the case at all. There are reading lights on each of the beds, in addition to the other lighting.

Only some of the windows had netting but while we were there they were in the process of adding netting to all of the windows. It's obvious they are continually upgrading this property. They were also in the process of moving the reception area and making the current reception area into a seating area which is a great idea.

The bungalow was GREAT. The woodwork was truly beautiful and a work of art. Our bathroom had just been renovated and was so unique. My husband called it a Flintstones bathroom which was the perfect description!

The bungalow was also extremely clean. I don't need fancy but I do need clean and it exceeded my expectations.

And the porch - WOW!!! It was huge, with 2 chairs, a large table and the best piece of all - a hammock!

Another problem we expected to have but didn't was bugs/mosquitos. I brought plenty of bug spray but we never used it. At night time, once we got in bed and put the mosquito netting around the bed, there were always just a few tiny bugs inside but we were easily able to get rid of them and they weren't a problem. This was in early September but possibly at other times of the year they are worse.

We couldn't have asked for friendlier staff. They recomendeded tours for us, made the reservations, called taxis, and answered any questions that we had. Before we arrived, Francesco was wonderful at answering all of my emailed questions. Once we were there Agustin and Marva (and again Francesco) were always friendly and helpful.

As for food, every morning we had breakfast delivered to the bungalow (a real treat - we ate on the porch where there is a ceiling fan over the table) and then had dinner at the hotel restaurant in the evenings. The food was excellent - especially the specials which we chose on the last two nights. And a special word about the waitress Minerva - she was WONDERFUL. We enjoyed her so much and felt like she had become a friend by the time we left.

The restaurant opens at either 1:00 or 2:00 I believe so you could have a late lunch there but to us it seemed more of a dinner menu (you could have appetizers and make that work for lunch) so for lunch we were either out and about anyway or would go the restaurant just a few yards from the hotel (go out to the road and turn left and it's on your left).

One tip about walking into town. The 1st time we did it we walked on the road. Then we learned that there is a path right along the beach most of the way which is so much nicer - cooler and pretty - so be sure you ask about how to find that path.

On the negative side it was HOT. And we are from Texas so are used to that. But we are also used to air conditioning and it wasn't to be found. So we seemed to be continually sticky but if you know this up front and expect to be that way, you'll be fine. It certainly wouldn't stop us from going back. At night in the bungalow we were extremely comfortable (there are ceiling fans) and even used a light blanket.

Another thing to be prepared for, at night you can sometimes hear rustling on top of the bungalow but I think this is just monkeys. No worries!

As for what to do, we would highly recommend the Sloth Sanctuary, Cahuita National Park, the beach across the street from the hotel and also the Punta Uva beach.

One final point - we were older than the average tourist. Only occasionally did we see someone our age (54 and 62) but again, this wouldn't stop us from returning. Actually we were so impressed with Costa Rica we are daydreaming about retiring there!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DallasJane
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I had a bad experience at La Costa my first time through Puerto Viejo, in which I was really disappointed, however, on my second trip through, after Panama, I was pleasantly surprised. This time I was given a bungalow much further away from reception, which made a huge difference. Where I had slept poorly and not enjoyed my stay the first time, I found that staying further away from the main area gave me a whole new perspective, and I thoroughly enjoyed La Costa de Papito. The service was helpful and friendly, and again, the food at the restaurant was fantastic. Definitely worth checking out. Apologies for my harsh review the first time around.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank lkelsey
Reviewed 18 August 2009

This was our first place we stayed at on our 3 week holiday. The service was okay, they did not go out of their way to help you, but they were not rude. The room was spacious, with a double bed and 2 single bed. The rooms had no screens on the windows, but each bed had a bug net. Sadly, the one over the double bed had holes in it and did not cover the entire bed. The deck had a wonderful table and hammock to swing in. The cabins were surrounded by trees and very quiet. We did not use the restaraunt as it was cheaper to go in town (which was a 30 min walk or a few minutes by car ride). There was free internet in the common area.
I would return to this place again as it was in a wonderful location and the cabins were clean and nice. Don't expect great, friendly or helpful service.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We had two bungalows with three adults and four children, aged 7 to 17, and we were very pleased with this property. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially when I had trouble starting my car. They went above and beyond to help us. Eddie, the owner, was very nice and used his car to jump-start our car. He loaned me his jumper cables to take with us for our entire stay of three days. His act of kindness really saved our vacation because we had to use the cables every time we started the car in and around Puerto Viejo.
The bungalows were very secure and clean. We never had a single problem with insects and the jungle canopy kept the bungalows very cool, day and night. I hope to return to PV and when I go, I will contact Hotel La Costa de Papito first.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were two families with three teens and one 7 year old. We each had a bungalow with two queen beds - and it was a lovely stay. The rooms were large, comfortable, nice big porch with table and hammock. Clean mosquito netting in good shape, big powerful ceiling fan, nice big windows - very breezy. The beds were comfortable, the sheets were good quality, big bathroom, hot water, nice towels. Bright bedside READING LAMPS - this is what most places forget!!!

Our car battery kept dying and Eddie was right there with jumper cables, let us borrow them while we were there and recommended a good mechanic in town to address the problem. Very generous - never made us feel like we were any trouble!

The staff was so pleasant and helpful, too. Always smiling and you got the feeling they like their jobs! Love that!

We would definitely stay here again - right across the street from the beach and next door to an ice cream parlor... Perfect!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We booked La Costa de Papito after reading some reviews on tripadvisor and looking at their website. And we were not disappointed at all and ended up staying 9 days! The food and drinks were great, the service was amazing, the rooms were fabulous and the location was perfect. As a family, we didn't want to stay right in downtown Puerto Viejo but we were just about 1.5 km away...the perfect length for a quick bike ride into town. We were also only a couple of km away from Punta Uva and some great snorkeling....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

First, the rooms. I'm a little stunned about people saying anything negative about the rooms. I have OCD (and that's not a joke....I've been diagnosed) particularly when it comes to dirt and bugs. I found the room, bathroom, public facilities on the grounds and everything spotlessly clean. The rooms are definitely rustic but they are cleaned daily and we never had problems with bugs or any kind of animal and, believe me, I was looking.

Second, the food and drinks. Fabulous! The restaurant is not particularly cheap but I didn't find it much more expensive than the other restaurants that we ate at when we went to town. Costa Rica is just not as cheap as some other Latin American countries. Breakfast was $7 but after one morning, we found that my husband and I could share a single breakfast because they were so huge. There were mornings we didn't finish it together!

Third, the service. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was charming, polite and exceedingly professional. They would book services for us elsewhere, answer a million questions and work as hard as they could to provide anything we needed. They helped us book a rafting trip on our way in from San Jose and it all went very smoothly.

Finally, the location. Some people have mentioned that it is across the street from the beach and not *on* the beach. It is. But the street is a narrow, two-lane road and the beach is literally on the other side. We could hear the waves crashing all night from our bungalow. So, I suppose if you wanted to step out your door and be on the beach you might be disappointed, but I can't imagine anyone being put out by a one minute (if that) jaunt to the water. It was the best of both worlds. We got to experience both the jungle when we were at La Costa and the beach just a minute away. And the beach is gorgeous. It's not crowded and we had days where it was relatively calm and other days where some good surfing was to be had.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. We talked to a few other guests who were staying at the hotel and they all wished they had booked more days so that they could stay on. We'll definitely be back....maybe for a month!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family