“Beautiful accommodation in a Botanical Garden”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Beautiful accommodation in a Botanical Garden”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Great garden and surroundings. Spacious cabin/bungalow and bathroom, very romantic, hammocks to relax, delicious breakfast. The only thing we didn't like is that the room wasn't clean when we arrived, but when we announced that at the reception it was arranged right away. In the early morning you'll we awaked by the howler monkeys, very funny.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Leander, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This hotel is amazing. Beautiful art everywhere, lovely rooms, incredible food and the most attentive staff. Each detail is well thought, tropical flowers, amazing mosaics pieces on the bathrooms, beautiful pool and the beach is very well kept. We had an amazing vacation and will visit soon on our next vacation. Super recommended. Now if you are looking for ac and a not in the middle of the trees experience this is not your hotel. You are in the middle of a beatuful jungle.

Room Tip: All of them are great! Enjoy he bathrooms true works of art
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston Heights, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We used a travel agency that recommened Shawanda Lodge. We arrived late after a long drive from the airport. The staff warmly greeted us (despite it beign 1am) and had a bucket of cold drinks waiting for us on our porch. The breakfast was amazing and the scenery was even better. Our lodge was the perfect size for two and it's simplicity was refreshed compared to our normal hectic life. We loved the hammock outside and waking up to the sound of howler monkeys. It was a short walk to the beach and the beach wasnt crowded. We felt like we were in our own paradise. I would strongly encourage anyone to visit Shawanda! When my husband and I went to our second stop of the trip near Arenal, we said several times "We miss Shawanda"

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I had a wonderful time at the Shawandha with their unique Bali styled lodge. I had a feeling of one foot in the rainforest and the other in Puerto Viejo, although it is a cab ride away. The food was really good, slightly over priced but well presented. I found the staff to be wonderful and made the stay that much more relaxing. I would recommend as long as you don't mind not being in the center of town.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

The Shwanda lodge is located away from the town of Puerto Viejo. We had to call a cab every evening to be able to go into town. If you just want to spend time at the lodge, it has a very easy access to the beach, nice pool, very friendly staff, and a great bar and restaurant. We had dinner there once, enjoyed our after dinner drinks and desserts there all nights and loved it. We weren't very happy with the rooms though because it was very easy to let bugs in. The rooms and bathroom are spacious with an outside deck with a nice hammock.

• Stayed June 2012
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I am a Costa Rican who has been living abroad for the past 15 years. I return quite often to my beautiful country but for some reason I had not been back to the Caribbean side for over 20 years. I am very happy I decided to rediscover this tropical gem during this trip and Shawandha was definitely a perfect match within this tropical context. If you enjoy a clean, charming, well planned hotel, tucked in the middle of the tropical forest and only a few steps from the beach, this is THE PLACE (even an evening of tropical rain turns magical laying on a hammock outside your bungalow). However, if you are looking for "luxurious" accommodations this may not be the place for you. For a seasoned traveler like me personal service will always win hands down. At Shawandha, throughout my entire stay, I felt as if I had a personal butler/concierge at all times tending to my every need, even on the phone while I was riding my bike searching for the perfect beach spot, which I FOUND !!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Manzanillo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I live in the area so I didn't try the bungalows but the restaurant is wonderful. Starting with a cocktail under the huge thatched roof, the candle-light dinner and the chocolate mousse ... just romantic and perfect ! I wonder why people say in other reviews that it's expensive. I think it's cheaper than other real restaurant in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple