Hotel Shawandha Lodge
US$221
US$156
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$150
US$119
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$99
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$80
US$77
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$85
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$73
US$62
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$71
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$89
Travelocity
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$69
TripAdvisor
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscosta ricathe ownerprivate path to the beachlush groundsfresh fruitnice poolceiling fanloved this hotelnatural surroundingsan incredible experiencefront porchpoison dart frogssan josethree nightseach morningbungalowwildlife
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

This place is one of a kind. My husband and I spent the first 3 nights of our Costa Rica honeymoon here. The people are extremely friendly and helpful. The pool is lovely. Each room is it's own private bungalow with a porch that has a hammock and a couch. It is all open air (with screens of course) so there is no AC, but we were fine. Highly recommend!!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Decided to take a trip to the Caribbean... Friends were in country playing tourist so I packed the dog and off we went... Nice hotel... Very friendly staff good food excellent setting!!! Zen atmosphere!!!!! Way cool environment...... A must

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My family all loved this place, probably because it was more up market than they expected of me! When we arrived there had been a mix up and they had to put us into 2 rooms for the first night and then moved us to a bigger room. Although this was a bit annoying after a long drive we understand that these things happen and it wasn’t a major inconvenience.
The large room that we had was fine for us, the bathroom wasn’t as prettily tiled as the other rooms but was nice and big. The kids loved the hammock on the veranda and my son relaxed playing ukulele to us!
I was awoken first morning at about 4.30am by the roaring sound of the howler monkeys. It was the second day before we actually spotted them, closely followed by a sloth. After that there was no stopping us and we saw them all the time! Also agoutis and green and black poison dart frogs. It was a fantastic place for wildlife; one sloth was so close we could have touched him.
The pool was beautiful and we had it largely to ourselves. The restaurant and sitting areas were very nice. Breakfast was excellent with beautifully prepared fruit and the best eggs ever. We only had dinner once and drinks a couple of times. It was quite pricey but then we found Costa Rica to be an expensive place.
A short walk took you to the beach at Playa Chiquita which was pretty much deserted.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous stay at Shawandha Lodge. The rooms are gorgeous, secluded, and the whole ambience is relaxing, rustic, and luxurious all at the same time. We definitely utilized the hammock and front porch area. I am a very high maintenance sleeper and was worried about not being able to sleep well due to the wildlife noises and no AC. I used my iPhone sleep machine app and never had an issue with howler monkeys waking me up at 4am. And we never noticed the lack of AC as the weather was fabulous- even mid day. The beds are a little firm but we prefer that. Also we did not have a car but rented bikes the whole time and had free transfers with our scheduled activities. We did take a taxi to puerto viejo at night once (which is only a twenty minute bike ride but don't bike at night) and it was $20 US round trip. We thought this was expensive so we stuck to having dinner near us-Jungle Love, Malbec, and Shawandas restaurant were all lovely. I absolutely do not think its necessary to have a car as the best beaches (Punta Uva and Playa Cocles) are each a ten minute bike ride or twenty minute walk. The beach next to the hotel is very nice as well and only a three minute walk. The service was also top notch at the hotel and restaurant. I had developed some sinus issues and Danny who mans the front desk brought me some nasal spray which was very kind. He also made sure breakfast was available for us at 5:30 am before we had to depart at 6am. Caleb, Danny, and the whole team provided incredible service.
Oh! We were kind of concerned about the bar not opening until 4 but you can get beer or water at any time and there is a grocery store only a five minute walk from the hotel that has snacks and alcohol-this is also where we rented our bikes. And lastly, I am very much a city gal and not too thrilled about wildlife or bugs in our room at night and this was never an issue. Of course anywhere you stay in CR this will be a concern but I only saw a few harmless bugs in our room and no jaguars hiding in the bushes :).

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank HaleyClare
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great staff, beautiful grounds, clean rooms, all around amazing. Please be advised that rooms do not include A/C, TV, or mini-fridges, which is all common to the region. The open air bungalows are cool at night, clean, and gorgeous. Would recommend this place for an overnight stay or drop-in dinner. Staff was far above average.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple