“Nice hotel in beautiful setting”

Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort
Austin, Texas
“Nice hotel in beautiful setting”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel with our 2 kids for 3 nights and enjoyed this place. We loved the rain-forest setting. The breakfast was very good. We loved the laid back culture and enjoyed in Puerto Viejo the most during our trip.

You have to walk a bit to get to the beach and beach there is not safe for kids. We did not eat at the restaurant as they don't have much options for vegetarians. Veronica's was a great place for vegans/vegetarians. The rooms had no telephones so you have to walk to the front desk if you need anything. Being in the forest setting, bugs can easily enter in the room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Hebrew first
McKinleyville, California
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I didn't stay here, but I did take surf lessons for a week a half, which was organized by my hostel in Manzanillo. Adrian runs the surf lessons and board rental- very professional and organized! Communicated very well, making sure to call me and let me know each day whether or not the waves would allow for lessons on playa cocles before I rode my bike in from Manzanillo. My belongings were kept locked up on the hotel premises. Leo was my surf instructor- amazing!! Such a good teacher, very highly recommend. Also very professional and kind, I always felt confident and safe in the water with him! I took six lessons- was standing up on the first day, catching waves on the third. I'm not in costa rica anymore, but am dreaming of surfing and my future return! Hope to go back and see these guys again soon.

Stayed November 2013
boise
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Went on a family vacation in early Oct and stayed at Totem. About a 10 minute walk to "town" in Puerto Viejo.
The room was excellent, comfy and the staff was friendly. They spoke broken English, we spoke broken Spanish so it all worked out :)
Nice pool, and accommodations. They included a free breakfast every morning which was great and delicious!

One of the best parts was it is literally a 10 step walk to the beach, a nice big clean beach with waves for surfing!

We had fun. If you go Costa Rica, and are staying on that side... I suggest you look into Totem. Clean, comfy and nicely located.

Room Tip: Get a suite that looks out at the pool. We had french doors open right onto the pool, it was beautif...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jacqueline c
Land O Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 21 November 2013

In it's day it had to be Charming, But Where did all the Love Go?? The place is Old, Worn Out, Has a tremendous degree of Deferred Maintence. The Jacuzzi is Cold Water, The Pool needs a Good Pressure Cleaning on the Status's and Rocks, the fence which use to decorator is broken and in Sad Shape. The wooden worn lawn chairs were very uncomfortable, I tried to sit & read but the Ants were awful . We stayed 3 nites, the room was clean every day very well. The flowers which rooms gets decorated with is very sleek but also very Buggy (little ones) A hard toss up! The Family that runs it is Super Nice, Food; Breakfast & Dinner were all homemade.

Room Tip: you have no tv except in Suites
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was clearly a very nice hotel when it was new. The years have not been kind to the property, as is the case with most properties in Costa Rica. Tropical weather is harsh and things deteriorate very fast. Maintenance must be constant, on much shorter cycles than in other climates, or things start to fall apart.

The Totem Hotel is well maintained. The gardening staff does a great job and I saw them working busily. Maids scurry around the property cleaning everything. It's not dirty or poorly maintained, it's just aging. I'm starting to get wrinkles on my face so I can relate.

When I checked in, I asked to see the room. It was OK, with air conditioner and an in-room safe. The room smelled a little musty but every room in Costa Rica does, it wasn't any better or worse than most places I have stayed. I asked whether there were problems with insects (both in English and Spanish to make sure I got a correct answer) and was told no. After checking in, I battled ants and killed some kind of scary spider, this happens in Costa Rica. Still, "no problem" wasn't the right answer; a recent fumigation and there would have been no problem. Subtracted points for this. Also subtracted points for the unusual way the hotel requests a deposit: they want a black credit card voucher! Never, ever sign one of these in Costa Rica or anywhere. You can pay a $100 cash deposit (they give you a receipt) and I chose to do this instead. I don't give anyone a blank check on my account.

I was warned that the water is not drinkable in the area, and the water wasn't available 24 hours before checking in. No points subtracted for this - the hotel fully disclosed the problem and it wasn't due to the hotel, it was as a result of the municipal water supply. During the hours that water was promised, it was available and I was very happy with the hot shower. Plenty of water pressure and it was constant, no "shower roulette" here!

WiFi is available on the property and is free. The speeds are good. It may not work in your room, and you might need to use it in a common area. In my room, it worked fine.

The room was fine. I got a good night's sleep with the air conditioning on. Security on the property was good. Breakfast, included with the room rate, was excellent. I am not sure why people complain about it being the same every day - there is such a huge selection you can have different things every day. There was no way I could have tried everything. The hotel seems to have responded to people complaining about flies etc. and now has professional quality serving ware which is all covered. They do not keep the breakfast items heated though - some Sterno cans would go a long way toward keeping everything piping hot (and stop the growth of bacteria!) until the breakfast hours ended. Should I take off points? Probably not if there is no health code violation... and there probably isn't because Costa Rica is very well organized and regulated about hygiene (I'm totally serious here, believe it or not). I am tempted to take off points for the giant black lab who roams the restaurant because she smelled really bad and needed a bath, but there's really no way to control what trouble a dog decides to get herself into. She will beg, do not feed her!

Note I also tried dinner in the restaurant and this didn't impress me much. The main dish was just OK, and my watermelon smoothie was full of seeds that had been through the blender (making them very hard to spit them out). I couldn't believe they didn't strain it, but "muy tranquilo" and "pura vida" so I did not complain, this gets you nowhere with Costa Rican people. Just roll with it, it is a way of life here. No points off for this because dinner is not included with the hotel room and I review restaurants separately; however, do keep this in mind if you plan to enjoy meals other than breakfast.

Would I stay again? This was a good quality property, and the rate includes a very nice breakfast - definitely a breakfast above the 3 star rating of the hotel (the only thing that they could have improved upon would be to include some fresh fruit among the selections - I'm really surprised this wasn't available given the very low cost of local tropical fruits in Costa Rica). The room was just OK, but it wasn't bad. The two things that knock this down from "excellent" for me are the somewhat dilapidated state of the property--particularly the jacuzzi area (which is very run down) and the relatively high price. Other properties in the area are significantly less expensive so I don't think that value for money is very good. This doesn't make the Totem Hotel a bad choice or a bad property, so you should definitely consider it if the absolutely top-notch location is important to you, or if you visit in the high season and availability is limited at other properties.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good. Ask to see one before you pay!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank dialtone69
MarielaTotem, Gerente at Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Hello,
Thank you for choosing us and for all your recommendations.
Best regards.
Paris, France
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Very nice and big rooms, recently refurbished.

Just 50 mts away from the beach.

A bit far from Puerto Viejo center if you go by foot

Friendly people, managed by italian family, good italian cuisine

Good breakfast, ask for espresso, very good

I'd definitely reccomend it

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hello Michael,
Thank you very much for your comments. It is incentive to the staff of Totem Hotel.
Best regards.
Odessa, Ukraine
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel in October 2013. The hotel is beautiful, well-kept grounds, the location is great. Perhaps, on this coast is the nicest hotel. And for this reason, prices are unreasonably high. Personally, I was disappointed with the quality of service. I do not recommend coming for more than 3 days. In our room, there was no Internet. Management must work on many nuances in guest services.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irrriha
Johnny A, Gerente at Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
It is unfortunate that a customer have not felt well in our hotel, we always try by all means to give them the best of the best.

Now days the internet, as a primary tool of communication is our priority, so, we always inspect the service with our own equipments, to ensure that the connection is working properly.

Many times we have to suggest to our esteemed guests to review their equipment settings, since the configuration of this, could be affecting the network to connect to Wi-Fi. Sometimes the strength of the network card of the equipment depends a lot on the posibility to connect to this services.

Certainly, today all companies constantly work on continuous improvement to deliver the best quality, here in our company, the management also works on becoming better and better to guarantee the best results possible.

We thank to all our customers that make us suggestions or comments, as this gives us the opportunity to improve and grow every day.

John Abarca
#2 of 3 in Cocles
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 12 in Cahuita

Been to Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort? Share your experiences!