Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
Hotel Yare(Cocles)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
1,088 results
All reviewsswim up barcosta ricasurf shopstandard roomgreat poolwater pressureair conditioningin townresident slothsurf lessonshowler monkeyssmall poolhotel groundscocles beachdown the roadreception areacab ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Cariblue that just rescently combined with Totem Hotel. We ate at the Totem Beach Bar and just loved it. We were told that Cariblue is eventually going to eliminate the menu at Totem Beach Bar. BIG mistake and I hope the owners are listening. The menu has so many different things to pick from and the food was great. I feel give people more of a selection at the 2 restaurants. Leave Totem Beach Bar alone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Darlene and I stayed here from March 8-15. It is a long day to get here but is WELL worth the trip. Hotel Cariblue is set in a jungle setting with Playa Cocles beach right across the street. I cannot say enough about how beautiful this place is. Totally different than an all inclusive although it did include breakfast. There is a great restaurant with a bar, pool and swim up bar. Very small and relaxing. We stayed in a bungalow. The one downside was the shower that we complained about but we were told that it is the dry season and they have problems then. There was enough pressure but it was either very hot or cold. We just could not mix it together. Some other people also complained about this. Then again you are in Costa Rica. That was the only problem otherwise it was amazing. There were monkeys in the trees and exotic birds flying over head. Food and drinks were excellent. The pool temp was perfect. The town of Puerto Viejo nearby is a GREAT party town. And yes we did. I love it when a place exceeds my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank consignitnow
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. They seemed a little confused about our reservation when we checked in, but they gave us two beautiful rooms that were very spacious (would be super for a family travelling here)! We were next to the main road and had a beautiful swimming pool that was just like having a private pool right outside our back door! We could also go out our back door, through the back gate, cross the road and be at the beach which was very clean compared to the beaches closer to town. Breakfast is really good, actually all our breakfasts in Costa Rica were better than any continental breakfast elsewhere! We also ate dinner at the hotel restaurant and this was one of the best places we ate. You might also try Maxi's in Manzanillo. Rooms are clean and very comfortable.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the rooms right along the road, by the back bar. Quiet and private area. It does require a little more walking for breakfast or meals.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you want to stay in a bungalow -- I recommend staying elsewhere, such as a place that only has bungalows.

I made a reservation the night before via booking.com. Upon arrival in the morning, Cariblue didn't give me the room type I reserved and paid for. I reserved a bungalow and was told they were totally full and they were "upgrading" me to a large room next to the ocean (and the road). To me this was not an upgrade. I specifically booked a bungalow because I wanted a freestanding private structure in the jungle.

Meanwhile two couples walked up and asked for rooms for the night and both were told yes, and one couple was even given keys to two different rooms to choose between. Basically I had the impression that the hotel staff was lying to my face. (I'm not sure why they did this. Perhaps because I made the reso from booking.com, or perhaps because I was a solo traveler and they thought my comfort didn't matter as much. Who knows.)

In the ocean/road-front room, the lock to the sliding patio door was broken. When I called reception they said this was OK because there was security all night. For me this wasn't OK. I was a woman alone and this is a town where kids climb walls and break in via screens to steal from hotel rooms (read reviews of other hotels). When I said this wasn't OK, they did get the handiman to saw a piece of wood to put in the door to keep it jammed shut.

After falling asleep to street noise, I was awoken at 8 am to hammering and sawing due to construction.

That morning I asked about moving to the bungalow I had booked, and something away from the road. I was told all they had was a ground floor room. I said I booked a bungalow. They said I booked a "standard" bungalow, and not a "superior" bungalow.

It was only when I said I was going to pull up their website and look at the pictures and description of the bungalow that I booked, that they magically found me a room that was in a bungalow-type building. It still wasn't the freestanding bungalow that I booked. It was one half of a bungalow, more like a duplex. But at least it was closer to what I had booked and was paying for, and was set in the jungle. I stayed in that room for two nights and enjoyed it.

Unfortunately how they handled my reservation really tainted my impression of this hotel, and prevents me from recommending it. Which in a way is shame, because they do many things right.

Here are the things they do well:
- Fresh and tasty food. They even made me chicken soup from scratch when I had an upset stomach.
- Generally friendly staff.
- Helpful desk for booking tours.
- Good security - all cars have to check in at gate before coming in.
- Nice location - away from the noise of town, but can walk there or ride a bike.
- Bike rental.

Room Tip: Ocean view = road view. If you really want a bungalow, go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Would really have liked to give caribleu a 5 star rating for many reasons. This is a great spot for a family (travelling with a four year old), the rooms are huge with ample space, great mattresses and bathrooms. The pool is a nice size. The breakfast is great. The location is good. Across from a surfing beach that may be swimmable depending on the day but a close walk to puerto viejo and a bike to the other beaches. For all these reasons I recommend the hotel.

BUT the service was subpar. When we checked in they told us they overbooked and wanted us to move half way through our stay. This would be ok if they had arranged for a place but they hadn't and they wanted us to find the location (they eventually told us we could stay all nights if we would change rooms during out stay). They returned laundry to us unwashed. Staff did not know the local area and the wifi was constantly down. If the service improves this becomes a five star place

Stayed: February 2014