“very unwelcoming atmosphere”

Jacaranda Hotel and Jungle Garden
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I was planning on staying here with two other people, one I was sharing a room with and another we had met while traveling who wanted another room. We read about this place and thought we would give it a go, it sounded nice! When we got there it looked beautiful and we were very happy! It was late at night and we were tired, so we would have been happy with anything almost, as long as we had a nice clean place! We got to the desk and there were people sitting around but no one got up to talk to us. I thought, maybe they didn't work here, but they sure did. Finally we asked if they have room and the owner begrudgingly got up and said yes. We asked to see them and another staff member took the keys and started walking to the rooms, which we assumed were for us so we followed him without any words exchanged. We speak spanish and were communicating in spanish, so it wasn't a language barrier. It was very awkward, the people I was traveling with and I didn't even talk it was that awkward. At least pretend you want our business if you're in the industry! You don't have to jump up and down for joy but some communication and warmness would make all the difference in the world! The rooms seemed decent enough, but with the bad attitude and awkward atmosphere we felt we were intruding on their lives so we left. I also noticed little rules everywhere such as no skype, etc etc and now reading reviews of this place I've read the owner is quite controlling. Do yourselves a favour, if you're planning on staying here, walk to the next block down towards the main street and turn left and on that block on the right side is Hotel Guarana! We were greeted with a warm welcome by the receptionist who happily showed us rooms, didn't demand any sort of payment, showed us the kitchen and let us settle in. You have your own little patio with a hammock and chairs and a great communal kitchen.

Room Tip: A room at hotel Guarana just down the road!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
CabinasJacaranda, Manager at Jacaranda Hotel and Jungle Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

I just wanted to take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of all of us here at Cabinas Jacaranda. It is always our intention to treat ALL OF OUR GUESTS with the utmost courtesy and so, I would like to say that – YES – I am not the friendliest person in the world – and even if it has nothing to do with you, or any other guest in particular, it is for this reason alone that I surround myself with a staff that can better interact with the public. I find that since my strengths are more with regards to cleanliness, décor, the gardens, security, etc. – and that my weaknesses are – well – “dealing with the public” I generally DO NOT interact with guests. On the day that you arrived, even though I employ 2 full time managers – they both – were not available to work that day – which left me in charge of the front desk – which is where I should not ever be. I do appreciate your honest commentary regarding the grounds and the overall look of our facility and as you can see from many other reviews, I generally am not interacting with the guests. Please then accept my most sincere apologies and do hope that maybe in the future you could give us a second chance.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

the place is very clean and nice the beds were comfy. However i found the owner or the lady at the front desk (indian looking lady) to be a little grumpy and moody, thats a big CON, also there is no tv and only one fan

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Naomi V
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed one night at this place and found it to be quiet, safe, and affordable. The staff is courteous and helpful. There was AC in the room - there was only a fan - but it's something you come to expect in Costa Rica. There is hot water in the shower, though you won't particularly need it after spending a day on the beach. Sheets were clean and the mosquito net was in good condition. The beautiful gardens and the intricate tile mosaics all around the property add character and color.

They are very particular about noise restrictions (which is good if you want a peaceful stay!), where you can/cannot eat food on the grounds, and who is allowed in your room (you are charged $4/hr for non-hotel guests who visit your room).

For the price, it was worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed here one night with a travel companion. The garden is like an oasis of peace and quiet with well tended plants and walkways. My companion loved the place but I wanted to look for better after seeing the room. We decided to stay as it was getting late and we just wanted to get some rest after a long day's drive. There was no air conditioning and there were no screens on the windows. The mosquito nets were nice but the one on my bed had holes in it and the other one was too small to be comfortable on the bed. A few cobwebs hung from the bathroom ceiling. The lighting/electricity was dim and antiquated. The room had no plug with a ground in it (my fault for not bringing a converter plug).

The common kitchen was ok but the stove had only one burner working. Water ran onto the floor when the plug was pulled in the kitchen sink. I'm glad we had a few dishes of our own to use. I'm not sure why, but suspect to conserve gas, only "light cooking" was allowed. There was a sign saying fish, beans and some other stuff requiring lenghty boiling time could not be cooked.

The Wifi signal did not reach our room and required going close to the office for reception. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall this place is okay but the next day we found a MUCH better place for about the same money!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Jacaranda is right in the middle of Puerto Viejo, yet quiet, private, inexpensive, and secure. And the rooms are very comfortable and attractive. The murals on all of the walls, and the gardens throughout the compound make it a stand out. Also, there is a kitchen with a stove, fridge, dishes, and cooking utensils for guest use. Great Value!

Room Tip: We've stayed at Jacaranda several times - and like the rooms at the far back the best - quiet an...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed three nights in this lovely hotel in Pureto Viejo. The mosaic entrance leads to a lush courtyard full of plants and flowers. Our room was basic but comfortable with a shower in the room. A highlight from our second story was throwing open the shutters to the morning light and sitting on the balcony watching and hearing beautiful birds in the bougainvilla. No breakfast, but you can amble down to the wonderful Bread and Chocolate restaurant down the street.Got used to the non-resident yowling cats at night and the roosters in the morning.TVs in the room, but don't know if they work as didn't turn on.Can walk to anything, but somewhat off the main street so quieter. A great find that friends have been visiting for years.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RidgeBay
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Centrally located. Clean! Quiet! Economical! Would definitely stay her again. Owner was very nice and helpful. No tv or ac, but not needed anyway, wifi available.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends