“Wonderful friendly place to stay”
Review of Miraflores Lodge

and 1 more site!
Miraflores Lodge
Frankfurt, Germany
“Wonderful friendly place to stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I have stayed at Miraflores for one month in one of the upstairs rooms. It is a wonderful place which I loved and since I had three months of travel in Costa Rica I decided to come back for an other month. Pamela, the owner knows everything about the environment, the culture of the Bribri and also supports many different local projects. The restaurant and the food is "muy rico" and the people working there are super friendly. Would always come back again. Thanks to Pamela who passionately made her dream come true with Miraflores, the work she does and the place she has.

Room Tip: I love the rooms upstairs which are nice and rustic with cool air in the night
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Winlaw, BC
Reviewed 14 March 2013

After a disappointment in Cahuita, we called the number given by a fellow met on the bus from San Jose, hopped a truck turned taxi, and and found ourselves for 5 days at Miraflores Lodge at 6 o'çlock in the evening. The owner was away (she returned from Panama the night before we left and was wonderful) and her aid de camp showed us our rooms (3 people, 2 rooms). Windows were screened and there was a mosquito net over our comfortable king-sized bed which we didn't need to use. There was a great shower on the deck next to the hammock, and a joint kitchen outside the bedroom door, across from our bathroom. Art on the walls and an engaging community living room area where folks gathered in the evenings for chat sometimes made this a great place to stay. We went to dinner at a little place just north of Jungle Love (another restaurant we were told was good, but it was closed for several days and when it was open, it was full and had no extra tables). But the place just next door had an Argentinian chef and the best tuna tataki ever tasted. The ever changing menu was written on a chalk board and brought to the table. All great food! and a 5 minute walk back to our lodging.

Breakfasts at the little cafe on the property were well-prepared and served with grace by a fine fellow from Uruguay. Our bus friend walked us across the road and down the path to the Playa Chiquita beach and across to the Playa Uva Beach where we spend the next afternoon. Next day we bused to Manzanillo, rented snorkeling equipment and had a lovely day, went back and went on a snorkeling/kayaking trip with Sergio of www.manzanilloadventuretours.limdo.com.

Each morning and each evening, we relaxed among the sounds, flowers and comforts of Miraflores. With free wifi, and papaya smoothies, and fabulous breakfasts, we had everything we needed. Thanks Pamela, for creating such a wonderful spot in the jungle.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I travelled with other two friends (one male and two females) back in february and I remember in the moment we arrived at Miraflores we felt we home. Miraflores is a special place and I think this is partially the reason for such contrasting reviews over here. The arrangement is rustic, and I say this in the most positive way. If you are looking for hotel-like accommodations then probably this is not for you. If you are looking for a way to stay in contact with the nature as much as you can then you will love Miraflores and Pamela.

The rooms are all furnished with what looked to me artisan, simple and tasteful style.
The beds are comfortable and furnished with mosquito nets (perhaps these could do with a replacement though as some of them had holes in it, but hey, don't we all spray nets with repellant anyway?). The breakfasts were absolutely gorgeous though I regret not tasting the sea food there!

We were lucky having practically the whole floor for us as we occupied in the end three rooms. But this is more a place for one who is looking for quietness. you are staying in the open, with the sounds of the jungle (and the howling monkeys in the morning) to keep you company. Nonetheless the bus that goes to town passes in front of Miraflores more or less every hour, otherwise call a taxi.

I think the key to this place is to relax and enjoy the hammocks, the food and every now and then have a stroll to Puerto Viejo after spending the day in Punta Uva beach (forget about Playa Chiquita...).

Pamela was also very helpful to us from day-1!
And I have to say very patient with our stay. We ran into problems with our flights towards the end of our staying because of disorders at the border with Panama (from where we were due to fly), and also in such circumstance Pamela was of immense help for us.

I suggest don't be put off by bed comments, if you have the chance do pay the place a visit, perhaps stop by for a juice and make up your own mind.

Marco

Room Tip: If you are three or more you will enjoy taking over the whole upper floor (i.e. 'on the tree'...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Georgias-Michel
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I spent 5 weeks in Costa Rica and was lucky to find myself at Miraflores for the first two weeks of my trip. From the moment I walked into the little cafe out front where Pamela the founder was cooking fish for a few young women who came for lunch, I knew it was a special place. Pamela is full of heart, spirit, passion and knowledge. Everyone who lives in the Playa Chiquita area loves Pamela like a mother and find themselves gravitating towards the lodge for a coffee, fresh juice, meal, or simply for a chat. As one of the first women to build a lodge in this area of the Caribbean, Pamela is a local with deep roots and love for this community. The lodge is designed in an indigenous style that brings you closer to the monkeys howling in the trees; it is simple and open to the elements (semi-outdoor showers, mosquito nets, open air design). If you are used to luxury and have low tolerance for bugs, the unknown and other natural things this might be a (good) shock to your system. Truth is this lodge is more than a place to stay - it is a total experience. After two weeks, I felt like I was saying goodbye to family when I left the lodge to my next destination. If you are hungry to get back to basics, walk barefoot, connect and immerse yourself the rainforest, if you are ready to meet some amazing people and open your mind, you should come here. It is a great deal and a once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have more light and breeze
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Danielle S
San Martin de los Andes, Argentina
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The place is just beautiful, the serive is great, Pam is sooooo kind, we loved her.The food is so good. Beds are super confortable, and the view is amazing, you can get a direct view from the jungle throught the window. Katrina and Pau.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
cambridge
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Being there in March was ideal. I had no rain and the beach just down the road was lovely. The Lodge is definitely rustic and casual and that's precisely what I was hoping for. If you want the Westin, stay elsewhere. I loved my second floor room with the shower outside on the balcony. The food is scrumptious and the staff is warm and friendly. Pamela, the owner, is a wealth of knowledge about the flora and fauna of the area and the country. She even knows a Bri Bri healer who will diagnose your health issues and recommend treatment for 20 bucks. Makes for a truly unique experience!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank remarkable7
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We didn't stay here but we kept coming back for the fish tacos. Surprisingly, it was hard to find fish tacos in the beach towns, and even when we did, they weren't very good. But the fish tacos that Pamela makes at Miraflores were heavenly. They are buttery, juicy, perfectly seasoned, and come with a side of scrumptious yucca puree. All the natural squeezed juices are delicious, not to mention breakfasts and the effortless smooth costa rican coffee. Once you order food, there is complimentary wifi which is a treat in the are around puerto viejo. Miraflores lodge has a true eco-lodge sensibility- with locally grown organic foods, an emphasis on hiring local workers, and a long invested history in collaboration with indigenous communities for a sustainable business.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple