“Great place ..great owner”
Review of Miraflores Lodge

Miraflores Lodge
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Just by luck I came to stay at Miraflores. The two weeks I spent there were really great.
The owner, Pamala, has had the place more many years and knows everything about the area. The food was great and she did everything to make me comfortable.

i would recommend Miraflores, without hesitation. to anyone who wants the real feel
of the area at a great price. For those who want to feel like they never left home, perhaps
the Marriott or Hilton on the Pacific coast would be a better choice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 September 2010

My boyfriend and I didn't stay at Miraflores, but we had the pleasure of eating there...and spending time with Pamela (the owner). I will say that Narcissa (sp?) made us one of my favorite meals in Costa Rica. The food was excellent, the setting was truly magnificent, and the company was wonderful. We left feeling like we had a better sense of where we were visiting, and felt like we could go back to Miraflores and be welcomed like family.

We were both sad to hear that Pamela is trying to sell the place (the call of grandchildren is loud it seems), so we hope whoever buys this gem keeps up the welcoming tradition, style and grace.

In the meantime, if you're riding your bike by Miraflores and don't happen to be staying there...go in...order some ceviche, guacamole and fish with rice and beans. Yes, the dishes are simple in nature, but capture the essence of Costa Rica. And, be sure to say hello to Pamela. Meeting her was a pleasure.

We will certainly go back on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We didn't stay at this hotel but wish we would have. We rode bikes past the place and stopped in for lunch and had a chance to sit down and chat with the owner. Pamela was very informative, had a lot of good information on the area and made us feel very welcomed. If we are to return to CR we would definitely want to stay as she made us feel very comfortable.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I am not a novice traveler, nor am I a traveler that needs a lot of luxury accommodations. I back packed through Europe and many other places. My girlfriend and I decided to back pack to Costa Rica. We came upon this place and put in our reservations when we made our travel plans. What a disappointment! We took one look at the place and could not imagine staying 1 night! With mosquito nets in the beds, bugs everywhere, no privacy, and really a horrible welcome from the owner Pamela, we left and stayed at the Shawanda down the road. That place was WONDERFUL! Truly a paradise! We asked for at least some of our money back from the Mira Flores since it did not offer what was advertised. The owner was rude and treated us like we were her peasants. Even through the broken Spanish, we managed to communicate with some of the workers there who said she was CRAZY. Please DO NOT waste your money here.

Again, I am not a picky traveler. I have stayed in very meager accommodations and am used to travelling on a budget, but don't blow your money here unless you like being attacked by bugs, ripped off by the owner, and awful accommodations! I would say in all my travels around the world, this place was by far the worst! I usually read reviews from people and don't write one unless I feel strongly for or against something...this time it is AGAINST!

If you do stay here, don't say you were not warned! I can't say this enough!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank KDM22
Reviewed 27 June 2010

My partner and I go to Costa Rica twice yearly, once to pay taxes on our land in Playa Chiquita. We always stay at the Mira Flores Lodge, after having tried other places that were very disappointing. We have never found another place and people that connects us to the local culture and nature like the Miraflores Lodge. I was always interested in the Bri Bri people of Costa Rica and it was through Pamela, the owner of Miraflores that we were finally able to connect in a meaningful way there. Pamela has been there for over 20 years and knows the people and nature and is concerned with the ecology as well as the cultures of this area. It is a rare and extremely rewarding experience to stay there as well as to benefit from Pamela's knowledge.
The staff is wonderful, have all been with her for many years, and the food is just excellent! The hotel is rustic, which puts one living closely with nature which is what I want there. We have consistently met the most interesting and wonderful people staying there, it quickly becomes a small family.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Despite the owner ripping me off, a leaky roof and fire ants in my bed, I had a wonderful trip. Miraflores has a casual tropical ambiance, the food is good, and the people who work there are lovely. I enjoyed my second-story bedroom in the attractive upstairs lodge (the downstairs budget rooms are dark and damp), going to the beach and meeting interesting people. However, being a month-long guest one sees things that short-term guests often don’t see or choose to ignore. Unfortunately, the owner Pamela Carpenter has serious ethical issues regarding money and being honest. She runs Miraflores like it’s her private fiefdom—or thiefdom. During my stay, a long-time staff person, two other guests, and several locals stated that Pamela isn’t straight in the way she charges people. Beware—there’s a reason there are no rates, and no refund policies, posted on her website or at Miraflores Lodge.

Upon booking my stay, Pamela asked for a “deposit” when she meant full payment. The first 2 weeks of my stay, it rained constantly and the roof in my (prepaid) room leaked everywhere except the bed. There were 3 large puddles on the floor in my room! Pamela (deceptively) acted like the rain was coming in the windows, when actually the roof leaked. After two weeks of rain and leaks, Pamela replaced the roof. This resulted in my not being able to use my room or the lodge for 3 days. Pamela’s TV was frequently on from midnight to dawn which prevented me from sleeping 4 nights. Another night fire ants in my bed were stinging me so badly, I had to go to another bedroom to sleep.

When I mentioned these inconveniences in the expectation of some acknowledgement of my being inconvenienced, Pamela overcharged me on my food bill! Because she told me she’d give me some free meals in exchange for working in her cafe, I worked 10 hours—bailing her out several times when no one else was there to wait tables. She’d also told me she would pay the 10% service charge because I was on a “meal plan” and eating in the café almost daily. My last night there, I was shocked to find that I had been overcharged on my food bill—with no free meals on it, and with the service charge added! When I reminded her of her agreement to give me some free meals in exchange for working in her cafe, and to not charge me the 10% service fee, she responded (twice!) with an imperial “So?” When I replied that she couldn’t change our agreement at the last minute, she shouted at me “Yes, I can!” She then rounded up my bill and charged the rounded up amount to my credit card! Needless to say, I was shocked, appalled and angered at her using me for free labor. Her behavior is mind-boggling unethical and illegal!

Pamela’s personal boundary/control issues also result in unprofessional treatment of her paying guests. She frequently snaps at guests—usually individuals, not couples or groups. On my 4th day there, after 3 days of rain—when I was the only guest in the lodge—Pamela snapped “You should have only one towel on the towel rack at a time! You’re taking over! That’s why I wanted to put you in the apartment, so you’d be contained!” (As it’d been raining torrentially for 3 days, it was impossible for anything to dry on the out-door towel rack.)

If you’re with a partner or a group and she’s racking up your bill, or if you’re drinking with her and listening to her talk, Pamela can turn on the charm. My advice: stay away from Miraflores! There are plenty of other places to stay Playa Chiquita. You don’t have to stay in a place run by a deceitful, unscrupulous owner.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank starcompass
MirafloresEcoLodge, Owner at Miraflores Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

In response to Imogene.
Thank you for having been a month long guest at our Lodge where, as cousin of my daughter's law partner, we offered you a reduced price,paid one month in advance at $20. a night, including a full tropical breakfast., a painting studio and full hotel services. .
My staff and I have done all we could to serve you.
Of course some times thing do not always work out how we would have wanted that.
We apologise for that .

Thanks for your mail It has offered me a great opportunity to get a better picture of who you really are.

Pamela

Reviewed 10 February 2010

3 women and myself just returned from 8 days at the Miraflores Eco Lodge. It was wonderful. I would go back in a second! The rooms are open air, with hammocks to lounge in, balcony showers and king size beds with mosquito netting. We stayed on the top floor of the lodge where you really felt like being in a tree house. I loved all the jungle foliage, waking up to howler monkeys and hearing the rain on the roof at night. The owner, Pamela Carpenter, prepared a lucious breakfast each morning complete with CR coffee, homemade breads, fruits and eggs prepared your way. She also arranged for expertly prepared dinners which were better than any other meal we had. It was an experience that I will remember always and would recommend to anyone who wanted to get out of the rat race and relax in a beautiful, carribean location. .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends