Azania Bungalows
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$77
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$111
US$88
  • Breakfast included
US$221
US$154
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$118
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$99
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
US$129
US$125
Orbitz.com
Hotel Yare(Cocles)
US$57
  • Restaurant
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
US$71
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsin towncocles beachdouble bed and two single bedslovely garden settingpuerto viejothatched roof bungalowsexploring the areatour of costa ricaa small swimming pooljuice and coffeea lovely place to staystayed here for nightsmosquito net over the bedfresh fruitsitting areabring a flashlighteach morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2013

What a beautiful place. Bungalows were large with a king size and single bed downstairs, and a ladder to a further double bed. Very basic rooms but they were lovely all the same, plenty of fans and there was a fridge in room (tad noisy but well needed). Had to pre choose breakfast from a selection, but you still had pleanty of choice. Watch where you eat in the village - we ended up with food poisoning from burger and chips from a beach front bar.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The bungalows are confy, is just enfront the beach (surfing beach), it may take you 15-20 min. walking to downtown.

the place is relaxing, beatiful flowers and green areas. The pool is pretty, but the jacuzzi is a "cold jacuzzi".

There are fans in the rooms, we stayed in december, no AC is needed. They have an hamaca in the front of the bulgalow. They have a... mmm i don't the name... in beds they have like a fabric to protect you from bugs and mosquitos, like the ones you see in movies about English in Africa (sorry is the only reference I know)... but "this fabric" stinks like pesticide.

BUT, every single thing others had comment about the staff is sadly true. There were 3 ladys in charge during my stay, 2 of them look so unconfortable with thier jobs, they speaked to us like if they were doing us a favor (in general in all the Puerto Viejo area, waitress and hostess do not know the word: hospitality), they stressed me, really if you can go somewere else with good commets on the staff... go there. But there was one lady with very good actitude, i hope one day this hotel can hire some more just like her.

There were some problems with the electricity... so we weren't able to pay with credit card and staff didn't seem "so happy" when I asked them to get the autorization by phone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank olitafeliz
Reviewed 23 November 2012

This is a really wonderful location, right across from the beach, with great accommodations. Unfortunately the management was so passive aggressive that it really ruined our (myself and 6 others) stay. They overcharged us and refused to acquiesce, and because their own staff was too inept to keep track of two poor quality beach towels, we were charged an additional $30 (and could not argue it because we had to catch a bus). Furthermore, the bikes they rent out are incredibly ill maintained and dangerous; mine stopped functioning about half a mile into a ride--the rear wheel was shacking so terribly that it knocked the chain off--and when I told management about the problem they made no effort to apologize or more importantly, repair the bike before another customer could injure themselves.
Additionally the pool closes at 8pm which is a bummer, and the security alarm system goes off every time an iguana crosses the perimeter.

In short, the grounds are nice and the staff was friendly enough, but management was completely passive aggressive, unfriendly, and inept.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at Azania for a weekend based on a recommendation of a travel agency. I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor, but was encouraged by what I heard from the agency. The hotel in general was very beautiful with lovely flowers and wonderful pool area. The grounds are very quiet and relaxing and feels very secluded even though it is very near the beach. Cocles beach is literally across the street and is one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen so that is a huge plus, but I would have to agree with the reviews about the staff. The staff was not very friendly or accommodating and I was speaking in Spanish so I don't think that was the problem. They did do some strange things, for example I was paying for my dinner at the hotel restaurant and I gave the woman a bill and some coins so that I would only receive bills in exchange. The woman flat out refused to accept my coins and stated "when you give currency you get currency in exchange. In Costa Rica you get a lot of coins." Not only was that the oddest explanation I've ever heard, especially since I've been living in Costa Rica for awhile and have never had that problem, but when I attempted to clarify she turned her back to me and wouldn't speak to me any longer. The rooms were nice, but my shower sprayed water all over the open bathroom so that I had to turn it down to only a trickle so that I wouldn't get the rest of the room wet. The location and grounds were amazing, but I probably wouldn't go back simply because the staff made me uncomfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Rachael D
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were stuck in Puerto Viejo without accomodation and luckily found Azania mentioned in our guidebook. We loved it! Our bungalow was clean and very cute, set in lovely grounds. The whole hotel was very well taken care of and had a very relaxing atmosphere - the hammock on our front porch helped! Breakfast was extremely good - fresh fruit, eggs/bacon and lots of coffee or tea. I know some comments have been negative about the staff but we found them delightful, helpful and sweet. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family