“gorgeous!”
Review of Azania Bungalows

Azania Bungalows
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The rooms where immaculate, beautifully decorated, roomy and comfortable. The staff was superb, the grounds exceptionally tended. You can spend hours of undisturbed tranquility swinging from the hammock in the front porch.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was a fabulous place. Great beach, great pool, great stay. Staff was exceptional. Only problem was we stayed in the summer and there's no air conditioning. It was miserably hot. Wake up in the morning to howler monkeys. Watch for fire ants in the morning. Rent a car and travel south to Manzanillo or north to the Sloth Sanctuary.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2013

It has been about 4 months, since my stay at Azania Bungalows, yet the unforgettable experience I had here and in Costa Rica with my girlfriend still remains. We were only looking to stay in bungalow-type accomodations, so while there were not very many places like this available, Azania greatly exceed our expectations.
The property was beautiful. Each morning I awoke to some new rainforest wildlife greeting me in the trees - be it a monkey, sloth, macaw or tucan. The beach is a quick and easy walk up the road - to which Basaam, the resident dog, will be happy to guide you.
The staff are really the ones who made our stay so amazing. Erwan and Ingrid, the lovely couple who manages the place, are so friendly, and were very insightful in terms of their recommendations for tours, excursions, restaurants and activities. Not tho mention, the complimentary breakfasts included in the rate for the bungalows - not your basic luke-warm, wrapped continental breakfast you grab on your way out for the day... Each morning, we walked down to the central bungalow to a pre-set table, and enjoyed hot local coffee, a warm croissant, a fruit platter, a bowl of yogurt and granola, followed by eggs to order with your choice of meat, and a variety of toast available. Needless to say - we were sure never to sleep in! Also, I honestly never felt the need for much of a lunch after these 4 course breakfasts.

Did you hug your last hotel/resort managers goodbye? Most likely, you did not.

Well my girlfriend and I did with these two amazing people. So don't be surprised if you feel the urge too.

I can't go back soon enough!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 61DanM
Reviewed 13 March 2013

What a beautiful place. Bungalows were large with a king size and single bed downstairs, and a ladder to a further double bed. Very basic rooms but they were lovely all the same, plenty of fans and there was a fridge in room (tad noisy but well needed). Had to pre choose breakfast from a selection, but you still had pleanty of choice. Watch where you eat in the village - we ended up with food poisoning from burger and chips from a beach front bar.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013

The bungalows are confy, is just enfront the beach (surfing beach), it may take you 15-20 min. walking to downtown.

the place is relaxing, beatiful flowers and green areas. The pool is pretty, but the jacuzzi is a "cold jacuzzi".

There are fans in the rooms, we stayed in december, no AC is needed. They have an hamaca in the front of the bulgalow. They have a... mmm i don't the name... in beds they have like a fabric to protect you from bugs and mosquitos, like the ones you see in movies about English in Africa (sorry is the only reference I know)... but "this fabric" stinks like pesticide.

BUT, every single thing others had comment about the staff is sadly true. There were 3 ladys in charge during my stay, 2 of them look so unconfortable with thier jobs, they speaked to us like if they were doing us a favor (in general in all the Puerto Viejo area, waitress and hostess do not know the word: hospitality), they stressed me, really if you can go somewere else with good commets on the staff... go there. But there was one lady with very good actitude, i hope one day this hotel can hire some more just like her.

There were some problems with the electricity... so we weren't able to pay with credit card and staff didn't seem "so happy" when I asked them to get the autorization by phone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank olitafeliz
Reviewed 23 November 2012

This is a really wonderful location, right across from the beach, with great accommodations. Unfortunately the management was so passive aggressive that it really ruined our (myself and 6 others) stay. They overcharged us and refused to acquiesce, and because their own staff was too inept to keep track of two poor quality beach towels, we were charged an additional $30 (and could not argue it because we had to catch a bus). Furthermore, the bikes they rent out are incredibly ill maintained and dangerous; mine stopped functioning about half a mile into a ride--the rear wheel was shacking so terribly that it knocked the chain off--and when I told management about the problem they made no effort to apologize or more importantly, repair the bike before another customer could injure themselves.
Additionally the pool closes at 8pm which is a bummer, and the security alarm system goes off every time an iguana crosses the perimeter.

In short, the grounds are nice and the staff was friendly enough, but management was completely passive aggressive, unfriendly, and inept.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at Azania for a weekend based on a recommendation of a travel agency. I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor, but was encouraged by what I heard from the agency. The hotel in general was very beautiful with lovely flowers and wonderful pool area. The grounds are very quiet and relaxing and feels very secluded even though it is very near the beach. Cocles beach is literally across the street and is one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen so that is a huge plus, but I would have to agree with the reviews about the staff. The staff was not very friendly or accommodating and I was speaking in Spanish so I don't think that was the problem. They did do some strange things, for example I was paying for my dinner at the hotel restaurant and I gave the woman a bill and some coins so that I would only receive bills in exchange. The woman flat out refused to accept my coins and stated "when you give currency you get currency in exchange. In Costa Rica you get a lot of coins." Not only was that the oddest explanation I've ever heard, especially since I've been living in Costa Rica for awhile and have never had that problem, but when I attempted to clarify she turned her back to me and wouldn't speak to me any longer. The rooms were nice, but my shower sprayed water all over the open bathroom so that I had to turn it down to only a trickle so that I wouldn't get the rest of the room wet. The location and grounds were amazing, but I probably wouldn't go back simply because the staff made me uncomfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo