“Staff and owner are lovely”
Review of Hotel Banana Azul

Hotel Banana Azul
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Great place, awesome location, and the staff are sooo kind and nice, especially the bartender of the hotel and Roberto, one of the owners, he is the sweetest guy ever. The rooms are neat! and the beach is right there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petitbella
Write a ReviewReviews (1,544)

Reviewed 10 August 2008

Well, like the other reviewers here, I cannot speak too highly of Banana Azul. From the time we arrived to the time we left, we were treated as both friends and honored guests. Colin and Roberto have a jewel here and if they ever decided to take it public, I would be first in line to invest! Props to Michel, Franklin and the rest of the staff as well.

The hotel is located a short stroll on the beach out of the town of Puerto Viejo - close enough to get to by foot, bike or inexpensive taxi if you want, far enough away that you feel like you are on your own private beach.

There is really so much to do in the area, those considering a Costa Rican vacation can base out of Banana Azul and do pretty much everything there is to offer in the country. Colin is able to arrange just about anything you would want to do and has contacts with some of the best outfitters throughout the country.

Two must stops are El Puente -

[--]

to learn about the Bri Bri and perhaps lend a hand if you are able and Aviarios del Caribe -

[--]

for a sloth tour. Then there is snorkeling, diving, kayaks, surfing, zip lines, turtle nesting (in season), rafting, birding or just chilling in a hammock on the beach...did I mention the chocolate? : )

The hotel is small, which is great, because everyone gets personalized service and you never feel like you are a just a number. The food is good, the included breakfast the perfect start for the day and it is nice to be able to eat other meals there if you don't want to head to town.

I live in Costa Rica and have traveled around the country extensively. I have stayed in the good, the bad and the truly ugly.

Banana Azul is tops on my list in all ways - from the accommodations to the management & staff to the food to the location. This is how a hotel SHOULD be run!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2008

July 26 - August 2 2008

Just returned from a trip with my 2 daughteres, ages 39 and 22, and we all agree that BA, the staff, the grounds, and food was all first class. My dauthers stayed in the Howler suite and I had the Iguana room. FYI ,the EECH, EECH, EECH, sound that you may hear in the Holwer suite is not a monkey in the room, as my one daughter thought, and decided to wake me at 2:30 am , with "Dad, I think there's a monkey in my room" (the running joke all week) It is the sound of a Gecko that is near the roof. Anyhow Banana Azul is a GREAT place to stay.

The town of Puerto Viejo, is the classic 3rd world funky town, not for the pool side/all inclusive style travlers. If you want concreate, and a manacured style vaction, don't come to this area. If you want a real life experience, with friendly people ,then this is the place for you. Naturalists, Adventures seekers and people who appreciate and understand the real world will love the Caribbean Coast area. Miles and miles of undeveloped and natural beaches. But don't wait to long to book, as I'm sure some big corportations will screw this part of the world up too.
PS. there are more mesquitos in either NJ or PA then on the coast near Banana Azul or Puerto Viejo.
La Pecora Nera, Italian restaurant IS A MUST.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank Goonboy
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo, C.R.
Fantastic place and well deserving of it's #1 rating in the Puerto Viejo area.
Rustic yet very elegant. Truelly almost devine compared to most other places in the area.
Great food!! ( breakfast is included with the room charge) and the dinners are not only very reasonably priced, but are also excellent.
Great bar!! Say hello to Franklin for us if you stay here.
This is a very well managed place and Colin and Roberto, as well as all the staff, really take an interest in their guests. There is a "caring atmosphere" which they succeed in conveying, because they really mean it. I hope they never lose that gift.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank schlettam
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I hope the owners of Banana Azul are willing to open up hotels in other parts of Costa Rica, too. We stayed in a bunch of other places, they were all owned by expats, and we were surprised to see how little they offered for the prices they charged. Banana Azul was one of the less expensive places we stayed at, and actually it was the prettiest, most comfortable, most relaxing, best situated. Moreover, the staff was really nice, always smiling, always helpful. I loved the dogs there as well, especially Gigi the puppy.

I thought that the place was beautiful, with a gorgeous beach right in front. The rooms were very nice. Comfortable beds, clean linens, clean towels, great balcony with a hammock in each, a table and chairs. The rooms had character, the bathrooms were spotless, I have to say, I loved the tiles in the shower. I liked the place so much, I wish I owned it.

I would love to go back there. I wish we stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank yesilerik
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We called the day before we decided to head out to the Caribbean side. We were lucky to get a room, since they always seem busy. What a great find!!! A beautiful location, fantastic staff, wonderful food, and nice animals :) I could have stayed here for our entire trip. We stayed in Sloth 1, an upstairs room with a porch and shared kitchen area. While there we played on the beach, went for some great walks, rode bikes to town and beyond, surfed, visited a local chocolate house and family art house, and ate some yummy food both at the hotel and in town. Chili Rojo and Patagonia were two of our favorite eating our spots. We ended our stay with a rafting trip down that Pacuare River that included two meals and a transfer back to San Jose. It was a great ending to a great stay! We will be back in the future. Thank you to all the staff!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank msmaplemae
Reviewed 25 July 2008

This hotel is wonderful. Everything about it is divine. Michel, Colin and Roberto did a wonderful job of making sure that everything ran smoothly for us on our vacation. Franklin was a terrific bartended and wonderful conversationalist.

The staff at this hotel made sure that we were well taken care of while at their hotel and also within Puerto Viejo itself. They made recommendations to us for restaurants and things to do and they always checked with us afterwards to see how things were.

This hotel was the perfect backdrop for a romantic and relaxing vacation for me and my sweetheart and we just had the loveliest time.

Not only would I recommend this property to a friend, we are already making plans to go back!

The food is outstanding .... breakfast, lunch and dinner .... and the prices cannot be beat.

Thank you to everybody at Banana Azul for a terrific vacation that we will never, ever forget.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Cahuita
Hotel Escape Caribeno
Hotel Escape Caribeno
#8 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!