“Nice owners, very nice place”

Tierra de Suenos Lodge
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed there few days and we were not disappointed at all : the bungalows are very spacious, clean and confortable. We had dry and clean towels every day which was perfect as the climate is rather humid. Every morning we had a different breakfast and it was always excellent and abundant. The owners are very friendly and welcoming. They really care about people feeling good in their hotel. We had very interesting talks with them. The staff is very nice and smiling as well. When we arrived we were welcomed by a bunch of howler monkeys which stayed around for few days. It was quite frightening but so exotic ! The only drawback was the noise caused by the hard rain on the roof during the night. Otherwise it was perfect !

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MatSoph
tierradesuenoslodge, Front Office Manager at Tierra de Suenos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Hello,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. Also, thank you for commenting on the breakfast, we are always trying to keep it different and filling. Yes, the howler monkeys can be quite loud, especially for how small they are, they always remind us that we are in the jungle. Thank you very much for your kind words and we hope to see you again!

Cheers!

Reviewed 18 April 2012

My week at Tierra de Suenos was easy, beautiful and unique. From the small rustic cabins to the eye catching flora, everything was immaculately kept. My way to my room was a fauna filled nature walk every time. Most impressive were the people. From the owners and the reception to the maintenance and the cook, they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I look forward to seeing it all again.

Oh! And I forgot to mention E.T., the "ferocious" hotel dog. What he lacked in size, he made up for in spirit and personality.

• Stayed: April 2012

Hi!

I love the title! That is what it is all about here, rest and relaxation! Thank you for the great review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We also enjoy the nature all around us, the plants, wild life and insects. We hope to see you again! Pura Vida!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The owners Fatima and Ahmed worked hard maintaining the cabins thoroughly and often! Yes there were a few bugs but the very comfortable beds come with mosquito netting for a reason and you are in a rainforest! Monkeys,sloths,tucans,frogs,and beautiful grounds with endless flowers grew throughout the property and near the cabins.The rooms were nicely done and the meals were excellent as well. The staff was OUTSTANDING and friendly and met our every need, including buying a coffee pot for our room. Their suggestions for restaurants and tours were very good and Anna, Randy, Henry, and Freddie, and ET the owners cute dog and Papaya the resident kitty were awesome.WE appreciated their hard work and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else on the Caribbean side. The ONLY suggestion would be to add a refrigerator, coffee pot, and gas stove in each cabina. We really missed having these things and trying to keep food and drinks cold with ice and a cooler was a bit of a hassle. They did let you store food and ice in their refrigerator in the lobby if needed which was nice.Even with out these amenities we still would stay here again. The beach is a short walk through a trail across the street and is the best beach around -Playa Chaquita. It was clean, no one on it and had enough shade. It also had the clearest water and was pretty good snorkeling near the coral reefs. Better than nearby beaches like Punta Uva and Playa Negra. be sure to eat at Jungle Love, excellent pasta dishes with great tuna seared steak. and Pura Gura- gorgonzola filet. Maxies in manzaillo was very good for whole red snapper fried or grilled.Puerto Viejo there were so many places but try Koki and right next door as well but I forgot the name! Be sure to visit the Jaguar Rescue Center a couple miles from the hotel. They rehabilitate injured animals and release them back into the jungle- excellent place on volunteer basis. Also go to Cuhuita National park about a 15- 20 minute van ride a trail which you will see wild monkeys, sloths birds, lizards crabs, insects in their natural environment on your easy walk- you might want to hire a guide to help you find sloths(its hard if it's your first time) and monkeys and it is all donations as well.The other suggestion I have if you go during Holy Week April- do not go to the city everything shuts down(Thursday and Friday-Good Friday) and its nearly impossible to find a drink anywhere-beaches are usually packed with locals getting out of San Jose. So if you can avoid this week try to.

Room Tip: The Zen house has a bar, bed, and a kitchenette upstairs and bed and bathroom downstairs regular ca...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Hey there,

Wow! Thank you very much for the outstanding review! I am beyond thrilled that your stay and experience was great! Fatima and Hamid say "Thank you very much, merci beaucoup!". We agree with your restaurant recommendations and also agree that everyone should visit the rescue centre. Muchos gracias! We hope to see you again!

Pura Vida

Reviewed 15 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Tierra de Suenos the last week in February and we had a fantastic time! The rooms were beautiful and clean and comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. Most of all, the staff was fabulous. We both got sick during the stay and the staff graciously took care of us, made us soup and light meals and checked in on us to make sure we were ok. Of course being sick on vacation is no fun but we couldn't have imagined a more comfortable and welcoming place to stay. We also got a huge kick out of Ity (the little dog). He was such a fun character to have around!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Hey,

I am happy to hear that you had a good time here! Too bad you weren't feeling, but it makes me happy to hear that the staff took as much care of you as possible. Thanks for the great review and we hope you come back again, but hopefully you will feel better!

Cheers,

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We decided to stay here because we did not want to stay at a typical resort, and we liked the fact that it was a little ways out of town so that we wouldn't be stuck trying to sleep in the middle of puerto viejo's night life. We were very happy with the location, set back in the forest but a quick walk to the beach, and right next to Botanica Organica and a few other great restaurants. We also thought our bungalow was cute (loved the hammocks on the porch) and that the website did a great job setting our expectations of what the accommodations would be like. We were pleased to find the bungalow clean, cool, and simple, with hot water, and welcome chocolates on the pillow. Keep in mind, this is the rainforest and so we also dealt with a few bugs, a frog in the bathroom, the sounds of nature outside (including a night-long downpour heavier and louder than I have ever experienced - but then again, I thought this was cool and exactly what I had come for). One thing we were not expecting: apparently in this part of costa rica you cannot throw toilet paper in the toilet, only in the trash can, so be prepared for that. It wasn't really a big deal, but we had no idea. Breakfasts were fantastic, with fruit smoothies, fresh fruit, and a main course. They gave us free bikes to ride around on all week, and the staff were generally helpful and very friendly, with the caveat that there are a lot of different people coming and going in terms of staff members, so you are not always dealing with the same people, and sometimes requests can get delayed or messages crossed. All in all this place was great and definitely fits in with the vibe in the area, which is laid back and a little rough around the edges.

Room Tip: FYI, the larger bungalow is the only one that's not located right next to other bungalows.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Hey there,

Thank you very much for the review! I am very happy that you mentioned the downpour in the evening, it truly goes to show you that this is a rainforest. We also enjoy the wild life and interesting insects that you can find here in Costa Rica. As for the toilet paper, yes I had the same response when I first came down, it is just the way of life here. Glad you enjoyed your time here and we hope to see you again!

Pura Vida!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Ok, call me a city girl, but even in the jungle I might expect that my room (when $100/nite and referred to as an upscale bungalow) might have fewer than 20 bugs flying around within its "walls" (read: screens) at any given moment. I like the idea of Tierra and might have better dealt with the deafening animal sounds and creepy-crawlies a bit better if the whole thing had been set in an actual rainforest or even an area with some semblance of authenticity. BUT, on the side of a busy yet narrow road in a dirty backpacker town... no thanks. I'm going with average because of the absolutely wonderful staff, great breakfasts, and proximity to the beach. Just know what to expect.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jeni221

Hello,

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the service. As for the screens, we have gone and replaced any that were broken, and have decided to stick with screens as it helps with airflow. It can get quite hot and humid and screens are best to keep air moving. We really enjoy being in the rainforest and are happy that we are able to stay as eco-friendly as possible.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I read through a few of the negative reviews for Tierra de Suenos, and I can understand why they were disappointed or upset when they got there. However, this is in Costa Rica, so it isn't meant to be a luxury vacation (at least in my opinion).

I loved staying here and would definitely be open to doing it again if the opportunity arose.
Yes, the beds were wet from the humidity, but that is to be expected when you are staying in a place with rainforest during the wet season.
Please note: Your clothes WILL be damp if you leave them exposed to the air, but that is something you have to face all over the Caribbean coast of CR.
The breakfast was excellent every morning, and the owners were very friendly. I loved their dogs, too, as I am a dog person.
One thing that I wasn't prepared for, but did find amusing was the howler monkeys making noise early in the morning. The rooster, however, was a different story. I was ready to kill that thing.

Because there is no air conditioner, the roof and windows have to have gaps to allow the air to escape, this allows a few creatures (bugs and lizards) to wander into the houses. I will admit, that was slightly annoying to deal with, but understandable and expected.

Pros:
- Very friendly owners and staff.
- Delicious breakfast.
- Close enough to the town for a bike ride.
- Very close to a nice (basically private during the low season) beach.
- True Costa Rican experience.

Cons:
- Damp beds and clothes.
- Bugs may enter your room.
- Mosquito nets do have a few holes, but nothing TOO big. I still didn't have any bugs land on me at night.
- Rooster crows early in the morning.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank hobonotebook
tierradesuenoslodge, Front Office Manager at Tierra de Suenos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Hi!

Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, we like to stay eco-friendly and we try our best to keep it to the style of Costa Rica. We really appreciate that you mentioned tidbits about the life style here. I agree, the howler monkeys are quite fascinating! I can say that the rooster has left the property so there are no more early morning wake up calls (besides the howlers). Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again!

Pura Vida