“Nice but noisy”
Review of Hotel Pura Vida

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hotel Pura Vida
New York, NY
“Nice but noisy”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Hotel Pura Vida is undeniably an excellent value. For $42, my boyfriend and I had a clean and spacious room with a private bath, ceiling fan, and a little outside patio. The location of the hotel in town is excellent and the place felt very safe and secure. They even have a gated parking area.

My one issue was the noise: the windows and patio doors are screened but have no glass so there's no barrier at all between you and the sounds outside. We were treated each day to a pair of roosters crowing in the dead of night, a parrot that seemed to be imitating a car alarm, the conversations of other guests hanging out on their patios, and one night, a screaming fight at the neighbor's next door. In addition, being on the first floor, you heard all the squeaking of the floorboards upstairs, and during the day, there were always folks chatting and doing work in the yard outside of our room. If you come here and are a light sleeper, definitely bring your earplugs.

That said, I might have given the hotel 3 stars if not for Cindy at the front desk who could be working at the Ritz Carlton. She was pleasant, professional, and so helpful! She explained the house rules, gave us points of interest on a map, and hooked us up with snorkeling gear, beach towels, tours, and laundry service, all with a cheery smile. She was probably the nicest person we interacted with for our entire trip and really made the difference in our stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if possible. You'll have more privacy and won't hear your neighbors wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

The room with private bath and balcony overlooked the back yard and had a kolibri feeding hanging in front. Very nice to have a drink and relax. The personnel was friendly. They refill your water bottles for half the price you would pay for in the shop. A nice an environmental friendly touch.

• Stayed February 2013
Durham
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights and loved it...the place itself is lovely with lots of attention to detail ...our room was very spacious and airy with a lovely balcony where we could watch the humming birds feeding every morning..the owners are very helpful and keen to make your stay as pleasant as possible in fact they actually made us a reservation at a nearby hotel when they couldn't accommodate up for our 1st night !
The location is perfect , nice and quiet but just a short stroll to the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Every time I come into Puerto Veijo I stay here. The price is right. We payed $32 for a room with no bathroom. For a few dollars more you can get a private bathroom and those rooms are gorgeous. The common area is very nice with lots of hammocks. There is even a spot to hand washed clothes and a clothes line to dry which is very useful after a day at the beach. Breakfast is served for an additional $7 which is composed of fresh fruit, cheese, and bread.

Our room had two beds, both with nets, and a sink. The bathrooms are very nicely done with tiles. Everything is spotlessly clean. There are numerous hooks in the room which is useful.

The owners are extremely helpful. They are more than willing to help if you have questions. They are also very good people. They are constantly taking in animals that have been abandoned and finding them good homes.

The wifi works very well but if you are on the second floor it will not work in your room.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ibiza, Spain
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed here twice on my trip to costa rica and it was by far the best place on my trip.
Had a room with a private bathroom on my first visit, very nice and comfortable. The owners were very helpful with everything around and it really is a very nice tranquil retreat in the heart of sleepy puerto viejo.
They helped me with my heavy bags to the bus stop and looked after me when I was sick from some form of animal bite.
On my second visit the private bathroom rooms were full, had a room with shared bathroom which was the first time in my life I have ever used a facility like this but it was fine, very clean and didn't even notice anyone else was there.
Would definitely stay again if I return to this part of the world.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed for 4 nights. The grounds were lush and tropical. It was very nice to relax here.

The rooms are extremely clean and tidy. And the property was very safe.

Breakfast could be purchased for $7, although, I didn't partake in this option. I found options in town that were comparable for a lesser price and more convenient to when I would wake up.

The only pitfalls I could mention about the place is the neighbouring roosters. They can be quite disruptive. But that's no fault of the owner's of the property. It's not like I am expecting them to tell their neighbours how to live their lives. Personally, I just rolled over and put my earplugs in.

The other downfall that I could see the owner's improving on is providing guests traveling without a computer access to the internet. The town overall, has very limited internet access. And the owner did mention that "they couldn't offer me internet access without providing it to other guests" which only tells me other guests have asked for internet access. It's something to consider.

Other than that, the price was right. And the property was clean and safe. And a nice distance to the bus, beach, and supermarket.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nsovey
California
Reviewed 15 December 2012

My friend and I were backpacking around Central America and this was the nicest place we stayed! We were passing through Puerto Viejo on our way to Monteverde and booked this place for the night. We wish we could have stayed longer. The rooms and great and are very affordable. Almut was a great host and the hotel has lots of areas to lounge. I definitely want to go back to Puerto Viejo and stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends