“Beautiful room, everything you need nearby”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Pura Vida

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hotel Pura Vida
Kenora, Canada
“Beautiful room, everything you need nearby”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in April/May 2012 and loved it. It is a short walk from restaurants, stores and the beach and the room we had was lovely- especially for the price.
We had several interactions with the owners and witnessed none of the attitude or rudeness others have mentioned. They had rules about footwear and such - it is true- but if I had built this place as they had I would feel the same way and have the same rules. While it is a hotel, it is also their home and something I imagine they are heavily invested in (emotionally and otherwise). I would always prefer to stay at a place with owners that are onsite and care about the place.
The room we had was always immaculate and while it didn't have AC, the design of it allowed for plenty of breeze and shade that kept us cool.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor with a private bathroom- well worth the extra money
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Great expectations completely filled with joy! The absence of air conditioner and a private bathroom just dont make any worse! The breakfast is simple but delicious with milk, bread, tropical fruits, coffe, home maid items like jam and juices. Inner park makes it even confortable!

Room Tip: Get the upstairs rooms, amazing tree house feelings!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've stayed at Pura Vida a view times, and had good interactions with Almut, but have never met Luis until my most recent stay. Luis was incredibly unprofessional and rude to my sister and I when we arrived Friday evening. He reacted very negatively to the answers I gave to his questions, at one point refusing to speak with me! I was shocked by his behavior, and surprised that he would treat a paying guest so poorly. I can only assume he was tired in the evening.

The next day I went to speak to him, and he was patronizing and called me "mala educada". He never apologized for his behavior, seemingly holding me for all the blame of the interaction. I've always liked the hotel, but would not feel comfortable staying there again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank K B
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Very friendly owners, a little bit aloof but that's okay. I am not the sort of traveler that wants to have a deep conversation with the owner of the place I am staying.
I loved the hammocks here and the hot shower.
I noticed one of the earlier reviewers mentioned a lack of internet access. One of our group members noticed that they had wi-fi and she asked for the password, the owner gladly wrote it down for our group. However, the connection is not all that great. We didn't have great access to it in our room (which was on the first floor behind the kitchen) and even in some of the open area, the connection was a bit iffy.

One con: You can really tell the owners are VERY conscious about their electric bill. I was lying on the hammock with the fan blowing and less than 2 minutes after getting comfy, the owner comes over and asks if I need the fan. I really wanted it on, but I could tell he was asking to save on energy costs. A few minutes later I turned it back on. I noticed in our room there were some really energy INefficient bulbs. Instead of focusing on the little things like fans, I think a better investment in their energy (pun not intended) would be to invest in energy efficient light bulbs. Or if the energy costs are that high, maybe raise the rate by $3-5.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

Stayed 4 nights and had a great experience here. The owners are very nice and helpful. The place was kept very clean and the beds were decent for a good nights sleep. The common areas are fantastic with multiple sitting areas and comfortable hammocks There is some noise but there is noise everywhere you go in Costa Rica..chickens, monkeys, birds , and dogs...same same everywhere. I carry ear plugs with me just in case. Good location with a short walk to most of the bars and restaurants in Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Den Haag, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed for about 2 night and it was wonderfull. Hotel crew is very friendly and willing to make your stay as comfert as can be. Hotel room was perfect with a warm shower.
They offer yoga and other relaxing stuff.

The location is situated in de back of town, but every thing is walkable. If time available go too the jaguar rescue center for play time with monkeys.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David-MT-0
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Pura Vida was a lovely place to stay with clean rooms, helpful staff and warm showers!! This meant we were always going to enjoy staying here especially with the attentiveness of the owners who really look after you and help get the most out of Puerto Viejo.
However, there is one bad thing which perhaps cannot be solved by friendly service.... The noise at night.

If you are a light sleeper this might not be the place for you as every night there is a constant barrage of barking and crowing. Of the four nights we stayed it happened every night like clockwork from 1am until about 5am.

Such a shame as Pura Vida would otherwise be a place to return to but if youve got your ear plugs or are only staying a couple of nights you could probably manage.

• Stayed April 2013