“highlight of our central america trip”

Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages
Reviewed 28 October 2010

beautful cottages, amazing resort - you feel like you are in the middle of the Jungle, but you are 10 minutes walk from the town. Kind and friendly family run - the Denelys will go to any length to make sure you have a great time and feel at home. Highly, highly recomended.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 October 2010

My wife and I came here on our honeymoon. We saw toucans, Jesus Christ lizards, poison dart frogs, a viper, tree frogs, lots of cool insects and beautiful foliage. Warning: this is not a resort. It is very natural and beautiful. The denley's are an amazing family and drove us to the
bus station on our last day. There is a climb up the hill to our cabin but it was needed after eating all the great carribean food all day. If you go here you have to check out Punta Uva - the most beautiful beach I have ever been to - romantic and a great place for swimming - paradise.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank pimaggot
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We had to stop ourselves from writing a positive review before we even got to Cashew Hill, as Sue and her family very graciously accommodated a date change caused by our airline. When we got there Sue welcomed us with a hug and gave us a bottle of wine and recommended a great vegan restaurant for us to have dinner at. The (very new) owners are friendly and have great spirit.
The cabins are clean and spacious -- you're incredibly close to town and the beach, and it's convenient to have a kitchen, even if you're eating out a lot (we went with the intention of cooking but there were so many great vegan options we mostly ate out except for breakfast and some lunches.) The pool is wonderful, and the pace of life perfect for unwinding.
I can't recommend Cashew Hill enough, and I'm sure it will get even more incredible as the new owners get more and more used to Puerto Viejo and the area.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Renee60827
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Cashew Hill is a very beautiful and homely vacation destination. Life on the hill is as peaceful as one can get while staying so close to town and the ocean. Only minutes walk from downtown Puerto Viejo and some on the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. The Denleys are a very nice family and I felt like i was part of the family while staying at Cashew Hill. The cottages are all very clean and well maintained, and the grounds of Cashew Hill are filled with many beautiful plants, trees, and animals. At night you fall asleep to the sounds of the jungle and waves of Salsa Brava crashing. I absolutely love Cashew Hill and i plan on returning here to this amazing place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2010

This review is way overdue, so please forgive me Denley familia. I traveled to Puerto Viejo alone, beginning my adventure June 24-July 11th, 2010. I stayed at Cashew Hill for nearly 2 weeks and loved every minute there. As soon as I arrived the Denley's made me feel at home and like I was a friend visiting. Sue and Bill had just bought the cottages in April and have been very busy doing needed repairs and improvements. Their sons, Andrew and Brad are amazing young guys that are such fun and always very positive and helpful. I stayed in the Sloth House and it's like living in a tree house but better. A beautiful view of the jungle and wildlife. I'd swing in the hammock forever on the deck enjoying the view. Cashew Hill was a perfect place for me to stay because it was secluded and felt VERY safe and secure. At the sametime, it's a short walk to beach and the town. The cottages are cozy, clean and very comfortable. The grounds are beautiful with amazing plants, birds, butterflies, sloth sightings and of course the fun dogs. Cashew Hill has a dipping pool that totally saved me on the hot and humid days. It was so relaxing listening to the waterfall and staying cool. Sue and her family was always friendly, caring and helpful. Whatever I might need they would help take care of. They gave me great advice and even included me for beach walks and farmers market shopping trip. When it came time to leave, I felt like I had another family and hated to go. I will be back and highly recommend this wonderful place I call my other home.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed for 8 nights and couldn't have felt better taken care of. The Denley family: Sue, Andrew, Bill and Brad were happy to share their piece of the jungle. The property itself is an easy walk to town and the grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here with a group of friends in August of 2009 in the Todo Bien cabin. It is HUGE! and an amazing deal. Set in the jungle, yet minutes away from the beach; it is a taste of both worlds and Puerto Viejo is a dream come true. It has culture and a wonderful beaches. It is small, but maintains an active night scene if that is what you're into. I will say that it rained quite a bit the 1st week of our stay (with some wonderfully sunny days as well) and Wendy and Erik were very helpful in giving us as many towels as we needed whenever we found ourselves hiking back in the rain. Aside from that they were VERY accommodating in every way possible. It was also very nice to drop off my laundry and have a stash of dry, clean, and fluffy clothing at the end of our adventures for the day. :) We rented bikes from a small shop just down the road from Cashew Hill. (please rent from this guy, he has much better bikes than some other places in the area). Later on in the trip we rented some scooters and trotted down to Cocles beach for the day. (Awesome too). Erik and Wendy also gave us a great recommendation for a spa -- Pure Jungle -- and it really set some high standards for me and any future spa experience I may have. It helped to define "relaxation" for me. And if you decide to go, please, don't forget to bring home some body butter and some aloe lotion. I might sound like an advertisement, but I'm really sorry that I didn't buy a year's supply of the stuff. One day we went on a small Bribri chocolate tour where they showed us how they make chocolate and gave some instruction on the traditional uses of the cocoa plant. Of course I bought some cocoa powder and I make no-bake cookies and hot chocolate with it on special occasions. Aside from that...

Just some thoughts about about staying in the jungle:
1. It is damp.
2. There are mosquitoes, but they didn't start biting me until the end of the week (after all the rain).
3. The natural bug repellent worked better than the other stuff.
4. It is definitely worth it to get your laundry done at least once while on your trip. I felt like a new woman. Even clean clothes got a little damp in my bag.
5. Apparently you can get the internet out in the jungle and our connection was pretty good. Don't try to stream some heavy video, but my boyfriend had to do some work online (yes, while on vacation) and he didn't have a problem at all.

One of the most important things for me in Costa Rica was that I felt safe... not only did I feel especially safe in the Cashew Hill compound, but I felt more than comfortable all over Puerto Viejo. I will admit, the dogs could be a little intimidating, but I liked them there. And as long as you're not stupid, I can't imagine safety being any issue.

I can't leave without at least mentioning the food. I am a picky eater and a vegetarian. Puerto Viejo is a foodie heaven for me... with sooo many different, local, and wonderful varieties to choose from it was difficult to decide where to go for dinner every night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends