“Caribbean garden of delight”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Casa Viva Beach Houses
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This place was quite a find and stood out from other places we stayed in. Lovely cabinas situated a mere stone throw from Punta Uva beach in magnificent gardens. Very private and tranquill. The small 1 bed cabina we stayed in was beautifully done and furnished. I think there are just two of them, the only negative point is that they are joined onto each other - but that could be fun if you have nice neighbours. It has a small kitchenette, little fridge, comfy bed etc. The owner was not there during our stay but the Spanish chap, Francisco, looking after the place was super helpful, friendly and accommodating. Just loved sitting on the veranda watching wildlife go by. Top spot!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I really needed a respite after a harrowing year at my previous job. I knew little about Costa Rica and nothing about the Caribbean Coast prior to my visit, so I consider myself so lucky to have found Casa Viva! I stayed there for seven days and made forays into other beaches and areas along the coast. I soon concluded, however, that nowhere was as beautiful as the beaches and the grounds of the property of Casa Viva. I took so many pictures of the lush gardens and the wildlife, but they don't do justice to the gorgeous environment.

The proprietor, Jeanie, was an absolute gem! She was warm and welcoming without hovering in the least. She embodies that gracious, laid-back vibe that I found in abundance all along the coast. I must admit, that I had an awful lot of questions about places to eat, how and where to change money, where to find the best fruit and on and on. Jeanie took them all in stride and with good grace. Her suggestions were fabulous and helped to make my trip extraordinary. My experience at Casa Viva ranks as one of my all time top vacations. I've traveled extensively throughout Europe and parts of Asia and some in the Caribbean. But for my two cents, the only place that even comes close to the physical beauty of the environment and the graciousness of the people along the Caribbean Coast is Thailand. I am currently plotting how soon I can return.

P.S. One comment about the dogs- they were well-behaved and stuck with either Jeanie or the grounds keepers. The only time that I could get them to interact with me is when I was with Jeanie. As a dog owner of 14 years, I was pretty impressed with how well-behaved her dogs are.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I know there have been a few less than stellar reviews of this place,but we decided to try it anyway because it is on the beach. We were really glad we did. Poor reviews have been related to the owner and her dogs. Don't go there if you are afraid of dogs or are afraid for your children around dogs. The owner's dogs were sweet when we were there, but they are dogs and if you don't like dogs then just don't stay here. We found the owner to be really sweet and well. She is pretty no nonsense though, so if you are used to being pampered and sweat the small stuff, then you might want to consider another place as well. This place is for people looking for a casual, down to earth, atmposphere in a beautiful setting. The grounds are fantastic and the wildlife viewing is great! The houses are made of beautiful local wood, with huge porches, and provide more than adequate acommodations. There is no AC and we had no problem going without. The daytime got a bit hot indoors, but outdoors is where you want to be anyway. We stayed in the one bedroom and it was more than enough space for the two of us with a separate kitchen/sitting area, bedroom, bathroom, and the huge porch. Our in-laws stayed in one of the dorms and the dorms are pretty small. I personally would want more space. The beach is steps away and is truly beautiful. It is not super wide right out front, although wide enough to lay-out, but widens significantly just a few 100 yards away at playa blanca. Selvin's restaurant is just a block away and has fabulous food. There is also a beach bar and restaurant down by playa blanca, which is also walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank akdoghouse
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Though we only spent one night at Casa Viva, we will remember it for years. The cabinas are lovely, being crafted from local hardwoods. Our cabina was closest to the Punta Uva beach so we could hear the waves crashing into the starry night. Punta Uva may be the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean, but visitors practically have the beach to themselves. As we strolled down to the beach for a mango daquiri at the Punta Uva Lounge we stopped to see a troup of howler monkeys, including a baby. The grounds at Casa Viva are beautifully landscaped, leaning toward manicured vs. lush jungle. The on-property owner, Jeannie, could not be a more friendly and appealing person.
The road from Puerto Viejo, past Punta Uva, to Manzanillo was paved in recent years and feels like the smoothest road in the country. However, it is about about a $14 cab ride into Puerto Viejo - if you feel the need to go there. Casa Viva and Punta Uva beach may make you just want to stay right where you are.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My friend's daughter works near Casa Viva and booked this for us because she knew it had nice cabinas at a reasonable price. Because of the low price I wasn't expecting much. Every view around the property is a picture perfect scene. I could not stop taking photos! Our cabina
was the closet to the sea and had a beautiful porch with a hammock. The grounds workers brought us fresh coconuts and leache?sp? fruit in the morning (no charge). He cut it open and added a straw, it was very refreshing! I will add some photos but the ones on this site look just like mine. The monkeys were out with us every morning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We booked Casa Viva because it looked like a lovely place to spend Christmas - but we were still overwhelmed by how nice the cabin and the setting was. The cabin had everything we needed plus some nice touches like bouquets of flowers on the balcony, hammocks, a water tank, welcome drinks in the fridge and books. The cabin was set in lovely gardens right in the jungle (we saw and heard howler monkeys) yet we could still see and hear the ocean from our patio. In fact the beach was less than 50 metres from our door. Despite being quite isolated between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo, there is a bike hire place nearby, a restuarant and small shop - and a taxi to either town only takes 10 minutes. We hired bikes - it took about 20 minutes to ride to Puerto Viejo. We also rode to the nearby Jaguar rescue centre which was amazing (tours at 9.30am and 11.30am - no signs are up outside after this). The only slight negatives were the shower and the wifi, which weren't great. As you'd expect in the jungle, we had a few visitors in the evenings like small lizards on the ceiling, insects (not spiders!) and bats, which didn't faze us. The bed was well covered by a mosquito net. Overall, we were thrilled with Casa Viva - great value and a lovely place to stay.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We went to this place on recommendation from a friend. The place itself was gorgeous. Very basic house, but the grounds are beautiful and the beach is fantastic. We have a family of 4, with 2 kids, who were 1 and 4 at the time. The proprietor has a dog, a rotweiler, which when I saw it made me nervous, but she assured me that the dog wouldn't cause any problems. Also, we had read the reviews here and it made us more comfortable that that was the case. Well, we were wrong.

My wife went down around dusk to throw out a bag of garbage. As she was walking down the path towards the main steet, the dog ran at her and bit her on the leg. Fortunately, it only intended on scaring her and didn't really bite down, but enough to rip my wife's pants, break the skin and scare the daylights out of her. Once I calmed her down, I went down to speak with the proprieter who was very dismissive and not at all apologetic. I wasn't expecting anything, but a little bit of compassion would have gone a long way. I can't even imagine how much more upset I would have been if one of my kids were injured.

The place is absolute paradise, with beautiful grounds, a beautiful beach, howler monkeys in the trees, fresh fruit in the morning, etc., but be wary of both the dog and the care-free nature of the proprietor.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family