“this is paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Casa Viva Beach Houses
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Genie was wonderful and very accommodating. The bungalow was very clean and comfortable. We could hear the sounds of the waves, that's how close we were to the beautiful beach! Gorgeous gardens and natural landscaping. This is paradise and I will be sure to return with my family!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2010

go here if you are looking for privacy, quiet, good views from the wrap around porch, hosts who leave you alone but help when asked, a quiet isolated beach. leisyrely breakfast (make yourself) on that great porch.
not so hot if you want to scrimp, want to be close to food and retail. or meet and socialize.
We went with out two teen agers and somewhere between the gardener who gave my wife a fresh coconut and a straw and limes every morning and the dusk scenes on the beach, it was just right for us.

Things we did - swim (very mild surf). walk to the point, walk down coast towards manzanillo, tour of gandoca refuge (local guides are great,- jeanne knows them) walk to dinner at selwyn's (cool!), jaguar rescue center

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelinRIers
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We stayed at several inns and drove around and looked at many others in the area but we settled here because our friend and local surf instructor Hershel introduced us to Alaine who was managing Casa Viva in the owners absence. What we liked best about Casa Viva was the hospitality of the management, proximity to our favorite beaches (100 mt. away) and quality of the cabins which were more like small individual homes, crafted elegantly and simply from local wood. The gardens and grounds are beautifully kept and Frank, one of the groundskeepers, brought us coconuts every morning. Alaine helped us arrange horseback riding on the beach and other tours guided by our favorite guide Raul. We are hoping to return to Casa Viva and stay for a month or more next time. It is truly paradise. -Jason and Shelly

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaypop70
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I spent a relaxing three days here with my two adult children. Our solid wooden cabin was beautiful with full kitchen, a large living area, two bedrooms and the covered wraparound porch complete with dining table and two relaxing hammocks. We had a (distant) view of the water but could hear the soothing waves in the background.
The beds were comfortable, with mosquito netting ( unfortunately with a few holes!) The walls do not go all the way up to the vaulted ceiling.There are only ceiling fans, thus It was admittedly a bit warm for sleeping.... just be prepared. And be prepared for the middle of the night howler monkeys doing their thing! Not a sound you will soon forget.
The grounds were lovely with a short walk to a very safe beach.....even with the constant waves while we were there there was no undertow that we could feel. And you can walk for miles along the beach including a great, albeit muddy, walk up to the top of the nearby point.
The owner was extremely helpful, and even arranged for another vacationer to drive us into town on our departure when the local cab driver failed to show up on time. She lent my children two bikes to go into Puerto Viejo one afternoon for free. And she has a supply of cold beer at a reasonable price!
We didn't have a car, so getting groceries was a bit of a challenge, but there was a small grocery store about a fifteen or twenty minute walk towards Puerto Viejo. Bring a flashlight if you do this after 6:30 as the road is not well lit and there are numerous pot holes, often full of water.
All in all , a highly recommended lodging.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Travellingdoc-7
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband and I just returned from CR, staying 1 week at Casa Viva, Punta Uva. We loved every stress free moment. The cabinas are beautiful, fully equipped, and charming. Jeannie is an excellant hostess. We felt very welcome and at home during our stay. Do remember that you are in the coastal rainforest. You will see lots of wildlife and insects. So... if you can't handle mothernature, you may be better off on the Pacific side in a resort!

The cabinas have 1 or 2 bedroom settings, with full kitchens and baths (no tubs, just showers). They do have hot water, a plus in this area. They do not have AC but we were fine with the breeze and the ceiling fans. (beds were a smidge hard, but we didn't mind.) The best part was being so close to the beach. You could hear every wave hitting the shore. Now, if you are an early riser, don't miss the beach around 5 a.m. It was the best time. The monkeys are very active in the early morning and the shoreline is breathtaking in the morning sunlight. I miss it so much already!!

The beach in Punta Uva is beautiful, quiet, clean and nice for swimming in the warm waters. My suggestion for Punta Uva is to slow down, take a deep breath and simply relax. This is NOT a touristy area. All of the resturants and cafes are very small and locally owned, as are the cabinas and bungalows. It was nice not to see a Duncan Donuts or McDonalds the whole time we were there!!! Rent a bike and take a ride. You see so much more this way, plus the roads are pretty rough so a car just isn't the way to go. We rented our 2 bikes for $80 for the week. It was the best way to get around.

As for places close to Casa Viva, we loved to ride into Playa Chiquita (5 minute ride) and eat at La Biela or next door at CJ's juice joint. Both have charming owners and resident dogs to keep you company. The food at both was outstanding and very inexpensive. We also enjoyed eating at Jardin de Angel, just down the road from Casa Viva. I can't say enough about the food here. I LOVED EVERY BITE!!!! The breakfast (CR typical) was so good and the fresh salads were amazing. Such a lovely place. It is one of my favorites of all times to eat. It's a must in my book!!

Love quiet, stressfree, slow settings in the tropical rainforest? You may love this place as much as I did.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LCPA
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I have stayed at Casa Viva twice, once with my family in the 2 Br house and once by myself in the 1Br house. Both stays were fantastic and like most of the other reviewers I cannot say enough about Jeannie and Dave. I stayed with them the second time when Dave was quite sick and neither of them brought me down a bit. Maybe because I am a physician I was able to relate to their difficult situation in dealing with Dave's illness, I came to love them even more than my first trip. Their place is a paradise with all of the handiwork they put into building it one house at a time. If you are looking for a quiet place off the beaten track with a magnificent beach and sloths in the yard this is the place. If you are looking for "all inclusive" try the Pacific side of CR. This is a great beach destination and a wonderful place to decompress. No phone, no tv, no computer, just beautiful nature, an amazing beach, and the blue Caribbean. The houses are a master work of native woods and the style is Caribbean including geckos, sloths and the lot.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank robertocollins
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Casa Viva is the most magical place I can imagine. Our little house (we stayed in the small duplex, which is like a studio apartment with a little fridge and coffee maker, table & chairs, porch & hammock, and one comfy queen-sized bed) was in such a beautiful spot and was so perfectly comfortable. Anything you could imagine wanting for a simple, lovely day was at hand: bikes and boogie boards down the road, lovely views from the windows on three sides, books, magazines, and playing cards, a little store for fruits and groceries, and plenty of little informal places to get amazing, inexpensive, fresh meals.

Like others who posted, we enjoyed the gardner dropping off fresh coconuts and grapefruits and really appreciated Jeannie's hospitality: she got us perfectly set up, got us some sugar for the morning coffee, introduced us to her very nice dogs, and then pretty much left us alone besides when we had a question. She is darling and informative, and her houses and property are safe, comfortable, gorgeous, and perfectly maintained. This was definitely the best accommodations, in the most beautiful spot, for the best value that we found in Costa Rica.

The gardener dropped off fresh fruits

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends